Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad will now charge for pre-selecting economy seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad will now charge for pre-selecting economy seats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Etihad will now charge for pre-selecting certain economy seats

Just another step on the road to decline

http://www.etihad.com/en-be/plan-and...referred-seat/

Haven't looked up the prices yet, however pre-selecting your seat when booking will now come at a charge.

Last edited by Jrunway; Aug 21, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Update: it seems like 'preferred seats' surcharge only applies to seats deemed 'more desirable' than others - aka the front quarter or so of the cabin. Pricing varies per route.
Old Aug 18, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I wish every carrier in the world did this. Why should discount economy passengers booking far-out get to choose the best seats on the plane for free, when last-minute passengers shelling out far more cash end up in the back?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by keitherson
I wish every carrier in the world did this. Why should discount economy passengers booking far-out get to choose the best seats on the plane for free, when last-minute passengers shelling out far more cash end up in the back?
Well, they did book far ahead so that would seem like a reason for them to have the benefit of more seating options By the way, last-minute buyers would also have to pay extra for one of these seats.

This just seems like another effort from Etihad towards squeezing out the maximum amount of cash possible (in line with this thread) rather than a customer experience improvement.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
Why should discount economy passengers booking far-out get to choose the best seats on the plane for free, when last-minute passengers shelling out far more cash end up in the back?
Their advance planning skills are being suitably rewarded.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:35 am

Programs: United 1K, American EP, Etihad Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
So - I just checked - they are charging $10 for a middle seat in the front of the plane - same for windows/aisles. This is AUH BOM on a a340-600. They are still charging even for a Platinum - which I find incredibly rude.

Does anyone from Etihad want to comment why you're going to charge a person who spends over $30K US for a decent economy window seat last minute?

I'm not a penny pincher - but asking me for another $10 on top of an already expensive last-minute fare is really just a nasty money grab. Unless you provide this free to your FFers, you're going to push people to fly Emirates (they offer this to even their lowest tier) - I'm getting a status match today and will be flying them from now on when I can.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 7:40 am

What do we reckon - selling scratchcards in-flight by December? Sounds about right.
Jrunway likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by maah117
So - I just checked - they are charging $10 for a middle seat in the front of the plane - same for windows/aisles. This is AUH BOM on a a340-600. They are still charging even for a Platinum - which I find incredibly rude.

Does anyone from Etihad want to comment why you're going to charge a person who spends over $30K US for a decent economy window seat last minute?

I'm not a penny pincher - but asking me for another $10 on top of an already expensive last-minute fare is really just a nasty money grab. Unless you provide this free to your FFers, you're going to push people to fly Emirates (they offer this to even their lowest tier) - I'm getting a status match today and will be flying them from now on when I can.
... you realize EK implemented seat selection fees before EY did this year, right?

But you're right. It's free for elites, and EY should make it free too for ff'ers.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
All sorts of rediculous things going on.....I shall be flying through ( walking stick in hand next week )...I'll keep all posted
Jrunway likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: IB G; EY S
EY charges for seat reservations

Hey all,
apparently EY has decided to sell seats in the front part of Economy for some extra money.
Even statuspax do not get the fee waived or reduced.

Have you experienced the same?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: UA, AA, Skywards, Qantas
Emirates just announced they're doing the same.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by cairns
Emirates just announced they're doing the same.
Status pax still get free selection of preferred seats (Gold and above)
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Marriot, Delta, SWA
yea.. paying $175 for SFO-AUH for an exit row seat! I have no status on Ethiad.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Virgin Velocity
These "Preffered" seats I don't understand...

Charge more to be further up closer to the exits of the cabin, closer to the bassinets too...
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kapeed
yea.. paying $175 for SFO-AUH for an exit row seat! I have no status on Ethiad.
Etihad does not exempt status pax from this charge, Emirates does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.