Goodbye Etihad

Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks Dogmatick and for the clue to look for the stars. Another trip next month, not quite a RTW but flying all three ME3 A380 First Class products in 48 hours... CDG-DOH-CAN on QR, CAN-DXB on EK and the AUH-JFK on EY. The last RTW trip was mostly miles except for the ICN-LAX JL leg which was part of an AA mistake fare.

Thanks akalra1187. Was hoping to incorporate a Residence flight but not this year.
If you want the residence in there then look at it Ex Cairo, maybe adjust to CAN-CAI on EK and CAI-JFK on EY and you'll also get the Residence lounge at AUH thrown in. CAI airport is used to short turnaround passengers - or go look at a pyramid ! Oh and then you also get to spend two nights for free at the Emirates Palace Hotel - apparently well worth it !

How do you spot the AA mistake fares btw and what was it ?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Residence or no residence, the question still remains whether to go back to Etihad after there demaning behaviour..?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:19 am

Going for a last hurrah and booking ex CAI Residence over the New Year to also enjoy the Palace Hotel. Have found an amazing agent in the MAN call centre who told me EY is about to launch a Premium only call centre again to concentrate on the premium passengers with status

The agent invited me to just email them with all needs and sets it all up and calls for the credit card ! Finally some service !
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
If you want the residence in there then look at it Ex Cairo, maybe adjust to CAN-CAI on EK and CAI-JFK on EY and you'll also get the Residence lounge at AUH thrown in. CAI airport is used to short turnaround passengers - or go look at a pyramid ! Oh and then you also get to spend two nights for free at the Emirates Palace Hotel - apparently well worth it !
How do you spot the AA mistake fares btw and what was it ?
Going for a last hurrah and booking ex CAI Residence over the New Year to also enjoy the Palace Hotel.
Excellent. ^
Definitely on my to do list. I was trying to do the same thing as part of my trip next month, but the Gulf states' dispute with Qatar stopped me from connecting from DOH-CAI in time to make it all work.

I found the AA mistake fare in the FT Premium Fare Deals forum. The fare was SEL(ICN/GMP)-NYC roundtrip AA First (including codeshares on JL metal) with unlimited stopovers and changes for US$2,800. Flew ICN-NRT-LAX in JL First in April, LAX-JFK-LAX in AA 3 class F in June and will fly LAX-NRT-ICN in JL First in October. Earns more than 50K AA EQMs and RDMs.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:16 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Residence would be good when I'm sure the F product already exceeds other F products, when EK F offers DP, CX F offers Krug and DP and they both offer Caviar and BR J offers DP then I'm hesitant to even bother to try EY Residence, I mean I am not dying for sleep???
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:46 am

I was born the day Concorde first flew, the one chance I had to fly it my connecting flight into LaGuardia was fog blocked for hours and I missed the flight by six minutes

My next booking was blocked by the sad grounding and then I missed the boat when the last flights were announced

The Residence cannot last long and dammit I'm not missing this one !
Old Jul 23, 2017, 4:50 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I was born the day Concorde first flew, the one chance I had to fly it my connecting flight into LaGuardia was fog blocked for hours and I missed the flight by six minutes

My next booking was blocked by the sad grounding and then I missed the boat when the last flights were announced

The Residence cannot last long and dammit I'm not missing this one !
I don't know... even Concorde with the small seat and perhaps slightly better service didn't quite appeal to me either. Whilst I think it's strange that humanity wants to move backward and make a 3.5 hour flight back to 7 hours I don't feel I missed anything on Concorde, similarly if Etihad can't make the Residence experience significantly better than other first class products I don't feel I'm missing out.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by akalra1187
I don't know... even Concorde with the small seat and perhaps slightly better service didn't quite appeal to me either. Whilst I think it's strange that humanity wants to move backward and make a 3.5 hour flight back to 7 hours I don't feel I missed anything on Concorde, similarly if Etihad can't make the Residence experience significantly better than other first class products I don't feel I'm missing out.

If you didn't get Concorde then you really should revisit elite flying. Remember the era it was delivered in and its purpose. You want a Zeppelin with a flying apartment others want to get there as fast as humanity can design with its inherent restrictions but also with the best service available.

Oh and as is your absolute and final benchmark, they served caviar and the best champagnes
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

If you didn't get Concorde then you really should revisit elite flying. Remember the era it was delivered in and its purpose. You want a Zeppelin with a flying apartment others want to get there as fast as humanity can design with its inherent restrictions but also with the best service available.

Oh and as is your absolute and final benchmark, they served caviar and the best champagnes
I don't say you're wrong but just being devils advocate they served reasonably nice champagne on Concorde but not Salon (which JAL serve today in F) nor was it Romanee Conti or Sasssicia or an early Biondi Santi. Add to that the kind of seats you get in F on EY, EK, JL, SQ etc today and Concorde looks like economy class.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Whilst saying the above it's still important to note that I do think the loss of Concorde was a step backwards for mankind.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: EK, BA, AF
I don't say you're wrong but just being devils advocate they served reasonably nice champagne on Concorde but not Salon (which JAL serve today in F) nor was it Romanee Conti or Sasssicia or an early Biondi Santi. Add to that the kind of seats you get in F on EY, EK, JL, SQ etc today and Concorde looks like economy class.
seems you like dropping names... makes it sound you know what you are talking about. However you have spelt Sassicaia wrong already twice... in different posts.

gotta watch your street cred a bit more :-)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maccarthy
seems you like dropping names... makes it sound you know what you are talking about. However you have spelt Sassicaia wrong already twice... in different posts.

gotta watch your street cred a bit more :-)
Sorry not meaning to drop names it's just the airlines tend to appease the masses by serving a £150 champagne but still get away with £10 bottles of wine. To think a wine at that level is ok but a champagne needs to be expensive is very primitive.
One knows a Barbaresco needs to be relatively expensive whilst a Umbrian Red needn't be expensive to be good.

''Sass i Cay Ah' isn't a word that is spelt naturally for an English speaker so yes can't get that quite right
Don't think the spelling interferes with the enjoyment of the wine though. In fact perhaps it was the wine itself that caused it to be spelt wrong.

Last edited by akalra1187; Jul 27, 2017 at 7:33 am
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: EK, BA, AF
whilst a Umbrian Red needed be expensive to be good.
mmm... not sure I agree. What we get in Valnerina isn't expensive but very good (my own production of course)
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maccarthy
mmm... not sure I agree. What we get in Valnerina isn't expensive but very good (my own production of course)
Sorry I was meant to type needn't (need not).

Meaning Umbrian wine doesn't need to be expensive to be good, whilst Barbaresco pretty much does need to be expensive to be good.

Last edited by akalra1187; Jul 27, 2017 at 7:36 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.