Wiki Posts
Search

Bumped off Abu Dhabi flight -

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold,HHilton Diamond VIP,Intercontinental Ambass,Amex
Bumped off Abu Dhabi flight -

my self employed sister paid for an economy ticket back to U.K.
Fare basis/ choice HLRTGB/YF

Got involuntary bumped off the flight. She has been offered $300 voucher and a hotel for the night.

She really needs the cash given shes lost a days works by being delayed.

Is that about right or can she ask for more of cash over vouchers??

thanks

Last edited by babunny; Apr 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Cash would be required under the EC rules.... €400 would be the standard compensation.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Does that Apply to Ethiad tho. Is ethiad EU?? ..can she ask for cash over vouchers
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RTW1
Cash would be required under the EC rules.... €400 would be the standard compensation.
Interesting. But, Abu Dhabi is not in the EU and EY is not an EU carrier. So, EC 261/2004 does not apply to this segment of her ticket.

So, the sister could ask EY for cash compensation. Unlikely that it will pay in cash or, if it does that it will pay $300. Perhaps that is a negotiation? But, citing to EU law to a non-EU carrier outside the EU won't help her.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Arrival is the UK, and EY is a registered carrier there....
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Mmm still a bit confused
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:37 am

EC261 wouldnt apply to this flight. 300$ is an offer she can take or refuse but if she does take it cant renegotiate after
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by RTW1
Arrival is the UK, and EY is a registered carrier there....
Completely irrelevant and not helpful to the OP who is trying to figure out how to help his sister.

Every carrier doing business is registered. But, EC 261/2004 speaks of "community carriers" and it defines them in Article 2 (below). Suffice it to say that EY is not a "community carrier."

For a non "community carrier" the provisions only apply to flights departing the "community", e.g. EU.

This takes all of 30 seconds to be located on the EC's official website.

‘Community carrier’ means an air carrier with a valid operating
licence granted by a Member State in accordance with
the provisions of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2407/92 of
23 July 1992 on licensing of air carriers ."
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:43 pm

Ask for cash - if not offered accept voucher.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 5:51 am

U can ask for cash but i very mich dout she will receive cash,happened to me before and flat out refused to give cash only a credit note for the airline of $300
Old Apr 27, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt: Diamond. Marriott: Platinum. AA: EXP 1MM. Delta: Silver. Etihad: Silver. Emirates Silver
The voucher EY gives you is a bit of red herring, just try using it and you'll see what I mean. I got bumped off and EY flight in J they offered either $400 compensation and a flight 6 hours later in J on another EY flight (AUH-DEL) or downgrade to Y on the same flight I was originally booked on. Took the $400 voucher, but eventually found it very difficult to use. In a nutshell, you have to physically present it as part payment for a new booking at an EY office, and no, it cannot be processed over the phone and cannot be processed at the EY Ticket desk at the airport (except at AUH). Living in the US, you have to drive miles from wherever you're based to an EY ticket office to use it, not to mention taking a day off work to do so as depending on where you live there may or may not be an EY office for one to get to easily. So, I think EY deliberately give out these vouchers and create these obstacles and hurdles knowing that few of these vouchers will in fact get used.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:16 am

You can use them at any airport,i used mine to upgrade in lhr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.