Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

OT - German press (and M&M FT forum): EY & EK might merge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:57 am
TPJ
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

I am a bit surprised no discussion here or on on EK forum.

As per German press:

https://global.handelsblatt.com/comp...-merger-722150

(BTW... IIRC this was the magazine that first suggested Mr. Hogan might lose his job.)

Post on FT M&M forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28015621-post64.html

PS. Mods - please feel free to merge with another thread, if this was already reported...
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:23 am

And then there's this...

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/business...merger-rumours

Even if they do agree to a merger, expect years to go by before the two programs are seamlessly integrated.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 7:44 am

You'll confuse people into thinking Etihad (EY) and Ethiopian Airlines (ET) are merging. I've requested for the moderator to change the title to EK.

For what it's worth, Tim Clark has already vigorously denied the rumours. But who knows, given the amount of changes in store for the region in the coming years.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Platinum; Accor Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I was once told anecdotally that, before Etihad was formed, an approach to invest heavily into Emirates was made by Abu Dhabi. The rub was that they wanted it to be the national airline and dual homed from AUH and DXB.

The idea being to split flights to and from destinations between the two hubs. How this would have worked for transit folk I've no idea

When the plan was rebuffed, however, Etihad was formed moments later...

It makes no sense for them to compete within the country and more so when Muscat and Oman Air get going too.

There is also the fact that there is a massive unused brand new airport right on the border!
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Dogmatick
There is also the fact that there is a massive unused brand new airport right on the border!
Do you mean DWC?

Emirates has become like a bus service around the world. Busy and impersonal. I like Etihad because it's more personal even though I need to be in Dubai not Abu Dhabi. I wonder what implications would be for AUH flights if this happens.

Even today Abu Dhabi city has such a different feel to Dubai, in some ways one is better in others the other is better, I think different airlines serving the different cities reflects the difference in cities well too.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by akalra1187
Do you mean DWC?

Emirates has become like a bus service around the world. Busy and impersonal. I like Etihad because it's more personal even though I need to be in Dubai not Abu Dhabi. I wonder what implications would be for AUH flights if this happens.

Even today Abu Dhabi city has such a different feel to Dubai, in some ways one is better in others the other is better, I think different airlines serving the different cities reflects the difference in cities well too.
EY is one of the few airlines making money from Y and can only do it in the way you describe

Yes DWC though the midfield terminal is still going and I don't know how they'll transit people through two hubs. The rail system has stalled and anyone believing that their hyperloop is anytime this side of 2028 is mistaken

Last edited by Dogmatick; Mar 31, 2017 at 12:53 am
Old Mar 31, 2017, 3:58 am
TPJ
Original Poster

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by stargold
You'll confuse people into thinking Etihad (EY) and Ethiopian Airlines (ET) are merging. I've requested for the moderator to .
Thank you! My bad...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Etihad Gold, Emirates Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
EY is one of the few airlines making money from Y and can only do it in the way you describe

Yes DWC though the midfield terminal is still going and I don't know how they'll transit people through two hubs. The rail system has stalled and anyone believing that their hyperloop is anytime this side of 2028 is mistaken
Sorry I'm confused again, do you mean Emirates (EK not EY) is making money in Y because of being like a bus service?
If so, I agree, but even Emirates business class had a distinctive mass transit feel when compared to EY or QR for that matter.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:15 am

Yes you are absolutely correct I meant EK but as I'm on this forum so much my blasted phone autocorrected me!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:13 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
IMHO this will only happen if things get really desperate. Too much of a loss of face (on both sides) for this to happen. It has been “discussed” though
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if abu dhabi keeps bailing out dubai, could be a takeover..
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:57 am

I was once told anecdotally that, before Etihad was formed, an approach to invest heavily into Emirates was made by Abu Dhabi. The rub was that they wanted it to be the national airline and dual homed from AUH and DXB.

The idea being to split flights to and from destinations between the two hubs. How this would have worked for transit folk I've no idea

When the plan was rebuffed, however, Etihad was formed moments later...

It makes no sense for them to compete within the country and more so when Muscat and Oman Air get going too.

EK used to operate DXB-AUH-BEY and vv about 20 years ago, one or twice a week. They also ran another route or two via AUH if I'm not mistaken.

Prior to EY, EK really was competing with GF and its rotating hubs (AUH/MCT/DOH/BAH).

I would argue that EY is in need of EK - not the other way around. EK is many times the size (in turnover, services, airframes, seats, passengers, cargo, destinations, you name it).

And whereas EY has followed a diversification strategy by investing in low-key airlines (AZ/etc.), EK moved away from that altogether (remember escaping from UL) - save that they had recently gone into consulting by engaging with TAAG.

DWC would definitely be a sweet spot for traffic in the UAE (just look at population density) and could be an ideal joint where EK and EY could become one.

EY's portfolio could be the most sticky point, any talk about family/tribe/Emirate pride is irrelevant.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 1:41 am

More conjecture here
http://www.bangaloreaviation.com/2017/04/christoph-mueller-etihads-new-ceo.html

Agree with you entirely Edy, I can only see it happen if the sovereign wealth fund that owns Etihad pushes for it as it is haemorrhaging money

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.