Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Is Etihad honouring chauffeur service on AA awards before change?

Is Etihad honouring chauffeur service on AA awards before change?

Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I made my reservation in March, but I called after August and I was able to book it, a few hours later after that call my ticket was reissued by AA (20 minutes time change). I called again and I was told is confirmed (even after the change).

At this moment I'm in Al Maha Resort and my flight is in less than 36hs. This afternoon I called the US number and they told me that my chauffeur service is confirmed and I will get a call tomorrow in the morning... but my Concierge here called to the UAE number and she was told that since my flight was paid by AA, I'm will not get Chauffeur service. I will give them a call tomorrow morning to request a 9pm pick up since my flight form AUH is at 3:10 AM on January 16, let see if they honor the service.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Can anyone really be surprised they took this away? I'm surprised the ever offered it on FF tkts in the first place. AA has to pay for this & IMO free chauffeur service has nothing to do with an award "FLIGHT". I don't believe any other airline offers this on FF tkts except EK & they own their own cars in Dubai. Would not be surprised to see them change their T&C's to say "chauffeur drive on "partner" award tkts good only in the UAE
I think it's about how they are handling it really. Did anyone outside FT know that it had been taken away if a ticket was re-issued, for example?

My flight is Friday of this week so I am waiting to see if I get a call on Thursday.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:27 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Markie
I think it's about how they are handling it really. Did anyone outside FT know that it had been taken away if a ticket was re-issued, for example?

My flight is Friday of this week so I am waiting to see if I get a call on Thursday.
You could have a point, but the argument (and anger) should be directed at AA, not EY (IMO). These contracts between partner carriers, what they pay, what they receive, etc are probably longer then War & Peace. I would bet it's a lot more complicated then EY just saying "no more". I would bet it's closer to something like it was time for their existing contract to be re negotiated, & EY realized free chauffeur drive on FF tkts is a money loser & either told AA, no more or upped the price if they wanted to keep it. Obviously AA ain't paying more & I agree it should not be part of a FF TKT (I'm shocked how liberal EK is with their partners). My guess is AA just waited longer then they should have before notifying passengers of the change.

** this is just my opinion of what could have been the cause. I have no real proof to back this up but I am almost positive it came down to the simple fact that EY didn't want to offer this on free/ff tickets & it was not something they could just pull out of with no notice.........AA knew this was coming but "chose" to give little notice. The anger belongs directed at AA & not even over the fact it's not offered any more, but the fact they wsitited so long to tell their
Old Jan 15, 2017, 3:32 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
You could have a point, but the argument (and anger) should be directed at AA, not EY (IMO). These contracts between partner carriers, what they pay, what they receive, etc are probably longer then War & Peace. I would bet it's a lot more complicated then EY just saying "no more". I would bet it's closer to something like it was time for their existing contract to be re negotiated, & EY realized free chauffeur drive on FF tkts is a money loser & either told AA, no more or upped the price if they wanted to keep it. Obviously AA ain't paying more & I agree it should not be part of a FF TKT (I'm shocked how liberal EK is with their partners). My guess is AA just waited longer then they should have before notifying passengers of the change.

** this is just my opinion of what could have been the cause. I have no real proof to back this up but I am almost positive it came down to the simple fact that EY didn't want to offer this on free/ff tickets & it was not something they could just pull out of with no notice.........AA knew this was coming but "chose" to give little notice. The anger belongs directed at AA & not even over the fact it's not offered any more, but the fact they wsitited so long to tell their
Thats fine, but some of who booked Pre-August are being exempt from this - and thats EY
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I booked Etihad flights via AA in Jan/Feb 2016 for flights in Jan 2017.

Despite several upgrades and date changes to these redemptions during 2017, I have had no problems with chauffeur bookings from home to LHR and back.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Aliksander
I booked Etihad flights via AA in Jan/Feb 2016 for flights in Jan 2017.

Despite several upgrades and date changes to these redemptions during 2017, I have had no problems with chauffeur bookings from home to LHR and back.
Did you book the chauffeur before or after aug 12th and how did you do so?
Old Jan 15, 2017, 10:44 pm
Original Poster

I have checked my tickets on the Etihad web site and found:

1- 1 ticket re-issued 9 August 16 due to schedule change
2- 1 ticket issued in March 16 with no changes
3- 1 ticket re-issued 20 Oct 16 due to schedule change

I expect that I now won't get a car for (3) but am hopeful for (1) and (2) based on this thread.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
You could have a point, but the argument (and anger) should be directed at AA, not EY (IMO).
Which raises the associated question, did anyone outside of FT know that you could get chauffeur for such bookings, prior to the change. i.e. did AA promote it anywhere. I guess you could argue that if you should get the same benefits if you pay cash to AA for the flight and if you pay miles.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Overnight I got a text message from the company that provides the cars in London asking me to call to confirm the number of check-in bags I would have. (They clearly don't know me )

The text confirmed the time of pick-up and address so looks good to go!
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
Overnight I got a text message from the company that provides the cars in London asking me to call to confirm the number of check-in bags I would have. (They clearly don't know me )

The text confirmed the time of pick-up and address so looks good to go!
Would you please be able to post / PM me the details of the company used in London?

I have made several changes to my collection time in London and Etihad are still showing an old one in my reservation. They aren't being of much help in terms of coordinating with the company despite this being a revenue ticket and my request being weeks old now. So I'd like to have the details of the company on hand in case things go awry on the day of departure. I'd much rather go directly to source rather than be stuck on the phone with Etihad a few hours before I'm scheduled to leave. And then they'll have to contact the company, further delaying things.

Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
I was able to get/confirm the chauffeur service trough twitter, but the pick up time was 1:20am for my 3:25am flight, which I have to ask them to change it 9pm because the Resort was 90~120 minutes from AUH airport. Then I have to call (US number) to change it to 7pm, after a 6 minutes on hold they did it without any issue (yhe driver arrived around 6:15pm).

Keep in mind did the booking after August 12 (September/October), just a few minutes after I got an alert from ExpertFlyer or awardwallet about a time change, then 12hs later AA send me an email with a new e-ticket number.

Now if you had a schedule change (re-ticketed), then your chances are very low. Just try twitter (complain first) and with a Direct Message they may help you out
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA
I booked my award tickets pre-deval in Feb 2016, reticketed in early Sept 2016 due to a date change, flying in Feb 2017. Tried booking the chauffeur service yesterday but got an error "UNABLE TO CONFIRM CHAUFFEUR TICKET NOT ELIGIBLE EY020 04FEB"

Will try twitter next
Old Jan 18, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by tangey
Which raises the associated question, did anyone outside of FT know that you could get chauffeur for such bookings, prior to the change. i.e. did AA promote it anywhere. I guess you could argue that if you should get the same benefits if you pay cash to AA for the flight and if you pay miles.
I don't know about EY but friends I've given my EK miles to have told me that when/if they go on the web site to do a seat or req anything it's offered in big bold letters "BOOK YOUR CHAUFFEUR CLICK HERE". I know as I sually plan to pick up visiting friends/relatives myself & they always call me the first visit asking what it means & if that's easier for me". I assumes EYs site is similar?? I know it is for paid F tkts
Old Jan 18, 2017, 11:37 pm

Booked on AUH-JFK in may on the 3am flight. was wondering how early i can book the chauffeur service. would 6pm be unreasonable?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 1:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by mitpat474
Did you book the chauffeur before or after aug 12th and how did you do so?
I booked the Chauffeur in September using the Etihad website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.