Wiki Posts
Search

First time on Etihad, 777 vs. 787

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Free agent
First time on Etihad, 777 vs. 787

I will be flying from DFW-AUH in F on an award ticket then buying a J ticket from AUH to DPS. I have the option:

1.5 hour layover in AUH then
AUH-BKK on an EY777 for 6.5 hours
2.5 hour connection
BKK-DPS on a TG787 with lie flat for 4.5 hours

or

2.5 hour layover in AUH then
AUH-SIN on an EY787 for 7.5 hours
1.5 hour connection
SIN-DPS on a GA737 in recliner for 2.5 hours

I'm posting in this forum because most of my question revolves around EY and the business product on 787 vs. 777.

Positives of BKK:
Much nicer final leg product
Arrives 45 minutes earlier

Negatives of BKK:
Fewer options if there are connection issues in BKK
Longer layover in sub-par lounge
Shorter "overnight" flight from AUH

Positives of SIN:
Longer experience in F lounge at AUH
Longer "overnight" flight from AUH
Shorter final leg
Many connection options to DPS if IROPS

Negatives of SIN:
Final leg on standard 737 biz product
Arrives 45 minutes later

So the main question is 787 vs. 777 on EY in J but would love opinions on the other +/-.

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jmail1

So the main question is 787 vs. 777 on EY in J but would love opinions on the other +/-.

Thanks!
787 J has Business Studio, which is the same as the ones on the A380, one of the best business class seats in my opinion. 787 is also quieter and has higher humidity and fresher air.

777 J has the old staggered business class, quite cramped and has old IFE.

The last leg on TG 787 is not bad, but 2-2-2 J seat is nothing too exciting for me. Also I prefer transiting in SIN rather than BKK, and the short hop on GA 737 shouldn't be too bad.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nkvuong
787 J has Business Studio, which is the same as the ones on the A380, one of the best business class seats in my opinion. 787 is also quieter and has higher humidity and fresher air.

777 J has the old staggered business class, quite cramped and has old IFE.

The last leg on TG 787 is not bad, but 2-2-2 J seat is nothing too exciting for me. Also I prefer transiting in SIN rather than BKK, and the short hop on GA 737 shouldn't be too bad.
TG 787 is 1-2-1 with fully flat. It's similar seat to OZ, LX, old EY etc.

It's really a personal decision. If I were in your situation I would go for the BKK option because you have flown a long way and I often find the final flight is the one I am most tired on and would appreciate the fully flat. The new EY seat is nice but really once your asleep or reclining there isn't loads of difference.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:04 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
If all things = the 787 but the 777 is not a bad product at all

Do not forget that airlines have been known to change the equipment
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:12 am

SIN has been quite variable for the 787 recently so I wouldn't count on it 100%. It may well change before the date of your flight.

Even without the 787, I think I would go for SIN vs. BKK. Less flight time overall, SIN nicer airport, much better J lounge in SIN vs. BKK, etc.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, EY Silver
Originally Posted by pogonation

It's really a personal decision. If I were in your situation I would go for the BKK option because you have flown a long way and I often find the final flight is the one I am most tired on and would appreciate the fully flat. The new EY seat is nice but really once your asleep or reclining there isn't loads of difference.
No, TG's 787 is 2-2-2.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pogonation
TG has staggered 1-2-1 on their 77W, A350 and A380. TG 787 is 2-2-2 similar to what United has on their 787. I think they use B/E Aerospace Diamond seat
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
It is an overnight flight so Singapore. It is much easier to sleep on this segment and the new business studio is installed. Most of the 777 to BKK feature the really old business cabin. I would go for Singapore

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.