Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Amsterdam VAT Refund: how to recover lost tax documents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Admin, please feel free to move. Posted in the Etihad forum because the flyer was flying on Etihad from AMS.

My dad lost his tax refund documents at security at AMS. Apparently the amounts are substantial enough that he would like to know if there is another way to claim them despite losing the documents. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: MUCCI
I'm sure a mod will move this thread to the Europe section shortly.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/

Were these refunds from stores in NL? Or from other countries, or both?
Had the forms been stamped already by this point (hold items) or was he still enroute to getting them stamped?

I'm not an expert on the dutch setup, but - having done VAT refunds extensively form the UK - I would not be that confident.
As essentially what he has lost is the proof of export.

I assume you have contacted lost property at AMS?
If the forms are stamped, and they have them, that would be an easy solution. If the forms are NOT yet stamped, even if you get them, limited benefit.
Of course lost property assumes someone realises they are important.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:02 pm

Losing documents at security is strange. Usually you need to stamp/scan these before leaving the country. Today in europe about 90% of forms can be scanned and refund processed directly to your card if you plugged that in.
If you didnt opt for card refund, then its usually cash refund and you go to the travelex window.
Older forms you put your card info on then sent them through regular mail which is usually before security.
If he lost his copy but successfully scanned them with that new PABLO system should be all good as they are just copies. If not then not much chance of getting anything back other than having store reissue a vat refund but thats unlikely as they have to do it same day as purchase..
Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:26 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Let me move this to the Europe forum for more discussion to help the OP. Ocn Vw 1K, Senior Moderator.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:41 am
Original Poster

Customs had not yet seen the item so was not yet stamped. If he recovered the documents, would he be able to bring the item over and claim the VAT refund?

Originally Posted by mike84k
Losing documents at security is strange. Usually you need to stamp/scan these before leaving the country. Today in europe about 90% of forms can be scanned and refund processed directly to your card if you plugged that in.
If you didnt opt for card refund, then its usually cash refund and you go to the travelex window.
Older forms you put your card info on then sent them through regular mail which is usually before security.
If he lost his copy but successfully scanned them with that new PABLO system should be all good as they are just copies. If not then not much chance of getting anything back other than having store reissue a vat refund but thats unlikely as they have to do it same day as purchase..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.