Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Economy off Peak on AA with Etihad Miles - Is it also 20K from Europe to US? (1-way)

Economy off Peak on AA with Etihad Miles - Is it also 20K from Europe to US? (1-way)

Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA
Question Economy off Peak on AA with Etihad Miles - Is it also 20K from Europe to US? (1-way)

I booked 1-way "economy off peak" on AA using Etihad miles from LAX-LHR for 20K a few months ago.

Today I tried to book 1-way economy off peak back from DUB-LAX, but the agent insisted it cost 30K miles, since the economy off peak was only for flights originating in USA.

For all the reports of people booking 40K round trip flights on AA using 40K Etihad miles for economy off peak -- were these all booked as round trips I assume?

Any data points are greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 9:26 pm

agents really dont know much about fares. its a mess
but chart is pretty clear on it
Old Aug 17, 2016, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike84k
agents really dont know much about fares. its a mess
but chart is pretty clear on it
I guess my point is, the AA chart allows reduced off-peak mileage 1-ways from Europe to US, so that is what I thought Etihad would do something similar (albeit at the old rates)

The current AA Chart:

Etihad Partner AA Chart:

I guess you have to hope for a call center agent that interprets differently, since they seem to have discretion.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:33 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Your experience is consistent with the report here:-
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26797933-post237.html

EY call center will only look at their own charts, not the charts of the partners they are booking on. Although it may appear entirely illogical, the EY chart only indicates an Off-Peak economy award on US->Eur, not Eur->US.

The chart does state returns are twice the one-way cost. That means a return Eur->US is always 60K, whereas its possible to get US->Eur return for 40K.

Anyone starting their journey in Eur during an off-peak time might be better to book 2 1-ways, depending on the per booking fee.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Called today and agents at 877-690-0767 said they could not do DUB-PHL / PHL-LAS / LAS-LAX all on the same day for 30K points. This is a one way flight, with DUB as the origin and LAX as the destination. All segments show up on AA.com as saver economy "T" class when I search for DUB-LAX one way itinerary.

Etihad said direct flights only are allowed for AA partner redemptions.

This is not true and I should be right? Looks like I have to call back until I get transferred to Manchester?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by flymax77
Called today and agents at 877-690-0767 said they could not do DUB-PHL / PHL-LAS / LAS-LAX all on the same day for 30K points. This is a one way flight, with DUB as the origin and LAX as the destination. All segments show up on AA.com as saver economy "T" class when I search for DUB-LAX one way itinerary.

Etihad said direct flights only are allowed for AA partner redemptions.

This is not true and I should be right? Looks like I have to call back until I get transferred to Manchester?
Got that response once when trying to do SFO-JFK. They claimed only direct flight was allowed orelse would have to pay for each individual flight although direct wasnt available..
Old Aug 18, 2016, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike84k
Got that response once when trying to do SFO-JFK. They claimed only direct flight was allowed orelse would have to pay for each individual flight although direct wasnt available..
What was the outcome? We're u able to eventually book with a different agent ?
Old Aug 19, 2016, 4:32 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by flymax77
What was the outcome? We're u able to eventually book with a different agent ?
Be best if you moved this discussion to the main "partner award" thread, to kep everything together. You'll see on there that someone has gotten indirect flights charged on a single redemption, specifically DUB-ORD-MIA @ 30K
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...rlines-17.html
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:04 am

I too have read that Etihad will do the old AA offpeak (20k one way) US - Europe only.

Europe - US seems to get the 'normal' fare (30k one way).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.