Wiki Posts
Search

upgraded 3 out of 4 flights!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
upgraded 3 out of 4 flights!

Just back from LHR traveling to Bristol with my routing starting in BKK. Was booked in J class (W) with Etihad car service for all 4 segments.

1 week before flight as usual and right up to 2 days before travelling I was offered the bid for an upgrade which I always ignore.

Flight from BKK was Jetihad with the rest being EY metal. From beginning to end all the flights in economy were overbooked which I'm finding more and more frequent lately.

Three segments I was upgraded to First as well as other business class passengers and on return AUH - BKK I saw economy passengers upgraded to Business. It was a 2 class flight on return from AUH so no upgrade.

Service was great on all flights with all choices of meals and very personal service with cabin service manager coming up to me several times to chat and the personal chef having no problem making chips to go with my steak sandwich.

My last 3 LHR flights I've been upgraded at least 2 segments especially on the AUH to LHR flight.

In February I was travelling with my partner and we even got bumped up from economy to business as I had bought a very cheap fare that stipulated no upgrades. However was upgraded 2 out of the 4 flights due to overbooking in economy.

FYI car service to Bristol was only an extra 6 pounds as 3 miles over the 150 allotment.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:02 am

Gold or Platinum this happens frequently on heavy Y routes. Doesnt matter what type of fare you buy. Upgrade is based on tier so highest tier will be upgraded first.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
So is EY following EKs example of upgrading like crazy into F?? While I understand in some cases it can't be helped, IMO EK has pissed off a lot of F customers as upgrades have gotten out of hand at some stations. While I wont chance it, I know other people who always fly F but on some routes they now buy J as they KNOW with top status, they are gonna get an upgrade. F is supposed to be exclusive, especially on the "glamour" airlines such as SQ, CX, EK, etc & IMO the only way to keep it exclusive & keep the regular F pax coming back is to stop the excessive upgrading. If J & Y is so full on some routes that they see the need to upgrade to F, they are better off following SQs example and taking a certain amount of aircraft, cutting the F cabin in half and putting in more J or Y seats
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: EY, QR Platinum, BA Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
So is EY following EKs example of upgrading like crazy into F?? While I understand in some cases it can't be helped, IMO EK has pissed off a lot of F customers as upgrades have gotten out of hand at some stations. While I wont chance it, I know other people who always fly F but on some routes they now buy J as they KNOW with top status, they are gonna get an upgrade. F is supposed to be exclusive, especially on the "glamour" airlines such as SQ, CX, EK, etc & IMO the only way to keep it exclusive & keep the regular F pax coming back is to stop the excessive upgrading. If J & Y is so full on some routes that they see the need to upgrade to F, they are better off following SQs example and taking a certain amount of aircraft, cutting the F cabin in half and putting in more J or Y seats
Agree with you. I generally fly J but if with family will fly Y. I used to consider buying an upgrade but now I know there is no need usually.

And as I said even when flying economy I've gotten bumped up to J.

On my return flight just now in the 2 class cabin there were at least 7 upgrades at the gate from Y to J and the one passenger behind me let everybody know including the flightcrew he was upgraded. He never stopped ordering from the menu from beginning to end. It did irk me that I was a full J class ticket but then again I've been very lucky with being upgraded J to F.

I fly again in September and after the first leg have enough tier miles to now become Platinum.

I'm guessing this will help more with the operational upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.