Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC261/2004 success against Etihad!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation EC261/2004 success against Etihad!

My wife was denied boarding on an India bound flight with Etihad Airways from Manchester in April 2015 on the basis that she did not possess requisite travel documents. Changes introduced in January 2015 had removed the requirement from Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) card holders to carry separate visas but Etihad check in staff insisted that my wife produce the ‘U’ visa that was on her expired passport. My 4 year old and I were forced to travel alone on the understanding that my wife will join us later, after the staff threatened to cancel all 3 tickets if we chose not to travel. Although I made a formal complaint, both verbally and in writing, to Etihad immediately upon arrival in India citing documentary proof of the relevant changes, Etihad refused to accept any responsibility for its actions or rebook my wife’s ticket, which eventually forced her to abandon the trip.

After several written complaints to Etihad Customer Services in subsequent months elicited no response, we eventually raised a claim through Small Claims against the airline in June 2015 seeking compensation under EC261/2004 for denied boarding. In its defence, Etihad cited an excerpt from the TIM manual (produced by the IATA) from April 2015 that acknowledged the changes introduced in January 2015 yet maintained that OCI card holders had to carry expired passports. At the initial hearing in September 2015, the airline’s counsel produced some undated guidance from some obscure Government of India website to challenge the changes in January 2015 besides contesting the very basis of the claim both under EC261/2004 as well as relevant clauses in Etihad’s Conditions of Carriage.

To cut a long story short, during the course of 3 subsequent hearings, I was able to produce evidence from various sources, including the IATA itself, that confirmed the changes in January 2015 following which Etihad changed tack and claimed that EC261/2004 gave airlines latitude to refuse boarding to passengers on the basis of check in staff’s ‘objectively reasonable belief’ about health, security concerns or inadequate travel documents. They also invoked clauses in the conditions of carriage which said things to this effect i.e. the airline reserved the right to refuse carriage if, in their opinion, the customer was a health/security risk or lacked appropriate documentation.

The court comprehensively dismissed Etihad’s defence and held that ‘objectively reasonable belief’ of check in staff was not adequate grounds to refuse passengers boarding for health, security or documentation reasons unless this can be empirically proven to be the case i.e. in my wife’s case it was evident, with the benefit of hindsight, that the documents in her possession at the time were adequate for entry to India irrespective of the ambivalent wording of the IATA guidance and she was therefore entitled to compensation under EC 261/2004. For the sake of clarity, the judge also listed specific circumstances which, in his view, would constitute reasonable grounds for airlines to deny boarding to passengers for health and security reasons.

More importantly, the judge also upheld my argument that entire sections of Etihad’s Terms & Conditions were incompatible with UK law and allowed recovery of some heads of costs under breach of contract.

From my conversations with Etihad’s legal team, this is the first instance of a claim being made under EC 261/2004 for denied boarding outside of the usual grounds such as delays, technical faults, cancellations, overbookings etc and has therefore significantly broadened the scope of the regulation. By declaring sections of Etihad’s Conditions of Carriage illegal, the ruling has also opened up the possibility of other claims being brought against Etihad for compensation under contract law on a variety of grounds.

What shocked me through the entire experience was the utter callousness and contempt with which Etihad appeared to treat us as customers. Not only did it refuse us any redress (way back in April, we had not demanded any compensation but that Etihad book my wife on to the next flight) they continued contesting our modest claim, eventually spending around Ł20000 in legal fees, despite it being patently obvious that the check in staff had got it wrong. As we were representing ourselves, Etihad also used a combination of legal technicalities and threats to persuade us to drop the claim and even stooped to the level of contesting a claim of Ł 86 towards my wife’s return rail fare from Manchester after being denied boarding.

The ruling was only delivered last week so I will update this post as well as a transcript becomes available in the public domain. Although the financial award was not worth the hassle, I am satisfied that I have delivered the airline a potential kick in the teeth by holding it to account for its actions and exposing it to further compensation claims.

Last edited by thirdwave; Jun 29, 2016 at 12:37 am Reason: Typos
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:48 am

Wow, that sound quite moronic from Etihad. They do seem to be quite litigious, the PPRune incident as a case in point.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Congratulations!

However, I disagree completely with the assessment that this "has therefore significantly broadened the scope of the regulation". It is not for a small claims court to "broaden" the scope of any regulation; the regulation is intended to cover anyone who is denied boarding for ANY invalid reason.

I would also question the Etihad legal team's assertion that this is the "first time ever" that a claim was made "for denied boarding outside of the usual grounds".

Stuff that goes on in the small claims courts isn't of as much interest to the airlines as the cases that make it to national courts and therefore set precedents for how the regulation is interpreted in that country.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Stuff that goes on in the small claims courts isn't of as much interest to the airlines as the cases that make it to national courts and therefore set precedents for how the regulation is interpreted in that country.
I thought regardless of the court division *small claims or else* and unless overturned, a judicial decision can be used as precedent for interpreting laws/regulations.

But besides that, the most significant bit, though quite narrow in scope and applicability, is that the judge viewed that EY's T&C are incompatible with UK law.

So if EY breaches a contract (through service denial or failure) citing their T&C, there may be legal grounds to litigate and seek compensation.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Congratulations!

However, I disagree completely with the assessment that this "has therefore significantly broadened the scope of the regulation". It is not for a small claims court to "broaden" the scope of any regulation; the regulation is intended to cover anyone who is denied boarding for ANY invalid reason.

I would also question the Etihad legal team's assertion that this is the "first time ever" that a claim was made "for denied boarding outside of the usual grounds".

Etihad's argument was that EC261/2004 does not apply in this case as there were reasonable grounds to believe that my wife was not in possession of the right documentation. I did trawl Lexis Nexis (so did Etihad's legal team) but found no instance where a claim has been brought for denied boarding under EC261/2004 on the grounds of documentation so it is definitely a new application of the regulation.

As pointed out by edy4eva, more damaging for Etihad are observations by the judge about the illegality of its terms & conditions. As for the precedential value of the judgement, the decision was delivered after 4 lengthy hearings, both over the phone and in person,at the country court over 9 months (and not a default judgement online) and the judge delivered a long verdict citing case law, legislation etc at the end of it so I'd imagine it's worth something. Besides, why would Etihad spend thousands of pounds defending the claim if it was of little interest to them?

Like I said, I'll post a transcript of the judgement when I receive it so we'll see..

Last edited by thirdwave; Jun 29, 2016 at 5:59 am Reason: Typos
Old Jul 5, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Why did they not settle out of court? What's wrong with the way this airline does business?

The fact that they sent a team of lawyers to small claims court is incomprehensible and says more about their approach to passengers and about their government subsidized business model.

This is really a David vs Goliath story and ought to make the news somewhere, especially given Etihad's bullying tactics vs a self-representing plaintiff.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Dubh
Wow, that sound quite moronic from Etihad. They do seem to be quite litigious, the PPRune incident as a case in point.
What happened in the PPRune incident?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:40 pm

please update the case details once they are available in public domain. It will be useful for subsequent claims on similar basis.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:19 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by keitherson
Why did they not settle out of court? What's wrong with the way this airline does business?

The fact that they sent a team of lawyers to small claims court is incomprehensible and says more about their approach to passengers and about their government subsidized business model.

This is really a David vs Goliath story and ought to make the news somewhere, especially given Etihad's bullying tactics vs a self-representing plaintiff.
Its not run like a normal airline HOW DARE OP FILE SUIT AGAINST AN ARM OR THE ROYAL FAMILY Im only half kidding. UAE based companies are not used to getting sued - or I should say maybe they get sued all the time but the majority complaints/suits would take place in Abu Dhabi where you don't have a chance - As Mel Brooks said, "its good to be the king"
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:30 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Its not run like a normal airline HOW DARE OP FILE SUIT AGAINST AN ARM OR THE ROYAL FAMILY Im only half kidding. UAE based companies are not used to getting sued - or I should say maybe they get sued all the time but the majority complaints/suits would take place in Abu Dhabi where you don't have a chance - As Mel Brooks said, "its good to be the king"
http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...oard-at-etihad

Something tells me these guys do not give a flying $hit about their company losing a lawsuit
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by keitherson
http://www.thenational.ae/business/a...oard-at-etihad

Something tells me these guys do not give a flying $hit about their company losing a lawsuit
Obviously they can be sued anywhere they fly but it's up to the judge to determine what court has jurisdiction. If your suing over a flight between Lhr & AUH, and the U.K. has jurisdiction then Etihad has NO CHOICE but to show up and go thru the motions. If they win they win and if they lose the Govt can make them pay BUT IF THE UAEhas jurisdiction, good luck. They don't even need to show up, don't care if they lose cuz who's gonna make them pay? No one. They answer only to God
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:23 am

Gentlemen
this can happen to any of us. Lets tell Etihad what we think about them by NOT flying on them anymore. That is our best weapon.
after reading this thread i will CAREFULLY consider other all other alternatives before I consider selecting them
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:54 am

I checked a number of airline contracts of carriage, and they seem to like using words such as "appear," "in our opinion," etc. This seems to give them a lot of leeway. Whether they all enforce these terms as ignorantly as Etihad did in your case, I don't know.

As an aside, some of them are quite humorous, such as United's right to deny boarding if the passenger is too wide, smells, or shows up barefoot.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...age.aspx#sec21
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:18 am

Congrats! Please publish the ruling once it is public.
It is exactly these small battles that we have to fight in order not to end up in corporativism.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 7:01 am

Congratulations @thirdwave. I applaud you for fighting with an airline.

I too have an OCI card & recently traveled from USA to India. I wasn't aware of the changed rule. Although I carried the expired passport with the U sticker for my daughters, I never had to show them when checking in on Lufthansa. On our way to USA, I even asked the immigration officer whether the old passport is required & I was told "Not necessary" as long as you have the OCI booklet.

I feel sorry for your family that your wife could not accompany you. But I'm glad that you fought successfully with the airline on this.

The GOI OCI website does mention the rule

http://boi.gov.in/content/overseas-c...oci-cardholder

It says in the "Note" section

Government of India has decided to dispense with the "U" Visa sticker on the foreign passport of OCI card holders with immediate effect. Accordingly, Immigration authorities shall not insist on production of foreign passport containing the "U" Visa sticker in the case of OCI card holders while they enter/exit India. OCI card holders shall now be given Immigration clearance on the strength of their valid forign passport and OCI Registration Certificate (OCI booklet, popularly known as OCI card).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.