Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Best seats for non-couple traveling together in First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP

Hello!

My father and I are flying a couple Etihad flights next month and I want to make sure my head is straight on which seats to pick so we are close enough to enjoy it together but not so close as to be on top of each other.

On the A380, we're doing Apartment between LHR-AUH in 3K and 4K, which looks like Apartments that face each other. It looks like there's a partition we could lower if we want to be in the same area, but could also close when we want to sleep or have privacy, right? How does that work?

On the 777-200LR (AUH-DFW) we are in 2D and 2G. I know some middle seats are very close together and don't have any sort of partition. Is it going to be awkward flying in these seats not as a couple, or are they pretty roomy?

Any other tips we should be aware of relative to the experience? We're considering changing our 777-200LR flight to route through JFK, but it would be way less convenient and a little more expensive... Is it worth it?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Steven6702
Hello!

My father and I are flying a couple Etihad flights next month and I want to make sure my head is straight on which seats to pick so we are close enough to enjoy it together but not so close as to be on top of each other.
I really don't think you have anything to worry about regarding personal space when it comes to being in F, especially in the Apartment. You will certainly not be on top of each other.

On the A380, we're doing Apartment between LHR-AUH in 3K and 4K, which looks like Apartments that face each other. It looks like there's a partition we could lower if we want to be in the same area, but could also close when we want to sleep or have privacy, right? How does that work?
The Apartments are completely private, yet have a small divider in place that you can lower if you want to see the other person. You can close your apartment door and be completely cut off from everyone else other than this. The main disadvantage in fact of the First Apartment is that it's not very practical for traveling with someone else, as they need to come into your area if you want to chat to them. Here's some of my photos showing the divider, I was sat in 1H and my girlfriend was in 2H in these photos, but we have tried every couples seat on the A380. 3K and 4K are great seats, as you are next to the window.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132880...7657582813838/

Old Feb 11, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
I really don't think you have anything to worry about regarding personal space when it comes to being in F, especially in the Apartment. You will certainly not be on top of each other.... 3K and 4K are great seats, as you are next to the window.
All I can do is confirm MacMyDay's informative post - correct in every detail regarding the Apartments. Rows 3 and 4 are without doubt the 'best rows' as they have 3 windows per apartment. Row 4 has forward facing seat, and row 3 backward facing seat, both rows have seats beside the windows. (hope I have those seat directions the correct way around!)

But not to degrade the other rows, all still have complete privacy. A backward facing seat does not phase me, take off and landing is so gentle its just not noticeable. My next flight has 3 sectors in rows 3/4, and one in row 1, a happy bunny.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by grannieflyer
A backward facing seat does not phase me, take off and landing is so gentle its just not noticeable.
Good point. My girlfriend gets very travel sick, but has never had any issues in flying facing backwards on an A380 or B787.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.