Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Unsuccessful auction bid for upgrade to F

Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EK Silver, , ba exec club gold. Thai Air Silver, SPG - Gold.Etihad gold

My wife and I returned from SYD to LHR in business class. Before this flight we were invited to bid cash for an upgrade to first class. We bid just over the minimum at £700 each. On the day of the flight we received an email stating our bids had failed. When we checked in at Sydney airport I asked if there were vacant seats in F. I was told that 4 seats were available. I got the same answer when arriving st the lounge and again when leaving the lounge to board the flight.

I expected we would be given F boarding passes at the gate but no we remained in business. The flight was great . But i am confused and surprised that our bids were not accepted. Any thoughts on what was happening?
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:31 pm

They can refuse any bid. Being the only bidder does not mean they have to accept it. if you would've bid 1000 or more you may have been successful - but not even certain at that price point. They decide on the winner (typically) 24 hours before the flight.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Back in December I had the minimum bid turned down for Y to J on a AUH-BKK flight. When I arrived at the gate I got an OP up to J for some unknown reason. The J cabin was about 20% full with lots of spare seats. My wife and son who were originally booked in J got an OP up to F. My wife and son were the only passengers in F on the flight & the flight attendants let spend most of the time with them in F and let me eat with them.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:16 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colcol
My wife and I returned from SYD to LHR in business class. Before this flight we were invited to bid cash for an upgrade to first class. We bid just over the minimum at £700 each. On the day of the flight we received an email stating our bids had failed. When we checked in at Sydney airport I asked if there were vacant seats in F. I was told that 4 seats were available. I got the same answer when arriving st the lounge and again when leaving the lounge to board the flight.

I expected we would be given F boarding passes at the gate but no we remained in business. The flight was great . But i am confused and surprised that our bids were not accepted. Any thoughts on what was happening?
They do not fill all empty seats with Plusgrades.

A lot of American based flyers find empty seats in a premium cabin shocking, but that's how most carriers worldwide operate.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
The J cabin was about 20% full with lots of spare seats. My wife and son who were originally booked in J got an OP up to F. My wife and son were the only passengers in F on the flight & the flight attendants let spend most of the time with them in F and let me eat with them.
Apologies if off topic a little. I am confused: with so many empty seats in business class, why would they OP up pax to an otherwise empty F cabin? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I fail to see the logic.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:55 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Apologies if off topic a little. I am confused: with so many empty seats in business class, why would they OP up pax to an otherwise empty F cabin? It doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I fail to see the logic.
Because the OP doesn't understand how profitable airlines work.

Opups occur during oversold situations.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Because the OP doesn't understand how profitable airlines work.

Opups occur during oversold situations.
who said anything about an oversold situation? OP stated business class was only 20% full. That does not sound oversold to me? Even if Y was oversold they would usually not OP UP anyone from J-F until J was full of OP UPed Y passengers
Old Feb 9, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
who said anything about an oversold situation? OP stated business class was only 20% full. That does not sound oversold to me? Even if Y was oversold they would usually not OP UP anyone from J-F until J was full of OP UPed Y passengers
I agree. I didn't understand it either. But, there was a last minute change of aircraft which may have had something to do with it. The flight was originally booked on EY metal, it then changed to Jet two months before departure. When we arrived in AUH the flight said delayed 5 hours. Ten minutes later it said on time. When we boarded, the pane had changed back to EY metal.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 1:44 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

<sigh>

That's my point. Flight was not over sold. That's when opups occur. OP doesn't understand.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
<sigh>

That's my point. Flight was not over sold. That's when opups occur. OP doesn't understand.
Noted. But eddibabyyeah is trying to understand why he was OpUped which is very unusual. Must be some type of error in the system
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
I think perhaps OP meant it was 20% full pre-op ups? Though not sure how one would know that.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:59 am

Have never seen op up's to next cabin if plane isnt full in the previous cabin.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the name implies, an operational upgrade is an upgrade for operational reasons. Such an upgrade may occur when the original cabin is overbooked, or for any number of other reasons at the airline's discretion.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.