Community
Wiki Posts
Search

broken first class seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS
I am a bit confused. OP titled it wit F seat, nowhere does s/he mention business class seat.
I was referring to LostAntipod's post.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 11:32 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by edy4eva
With EY compensation I'd aim low. Very low. They seem to lack a protocol in this area, or have a very stingy one.

On my last flight (no transfers/transits, a single ULH in F), I received my hardcase bag without one of its wheels. Not a broken wheel, not a damaged wheel. A missing wheel altogether, a sign of brute force with deep scuff at where the wheel used to be. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but that's damage beyond repair to a near new 400EUR bag

The service desk took down the tag number, told me I can claim within 7 days via email which I did.

First response (2 weeks later): damage to wheels not covered.
My response: this isn't damage to a wheel that's still there, or minor scratches, the wheel assembly is missing. Manufacturer does not cover this sort of damage.
Second response (2 months later): why didn't you lodge a claim on the spot?
My response: I didn't have time and the your agent said it's ok to lodge via email after taking my details.
Third response (never received).
According to the conditions of carriage, are issues like this allowed? Because, I know this may be simplistic, but you didn't get a product you rightly paid for. And you should be adequately compensated. Or in your case edy4eva, they need to provide you with a replacement bag or repair it.

Is there any legal precedent for taking these matters further? Because EY is a business providing a service. People pay VERY GOOD money for the service, and thus should be receiving exactly what you have been promised you are getting for the price you're paying.

In my opinion, as a MINIMUM, the OP should receive a full refund of his miles or a voucher for another flight at least in J class.

As an example if you're paying for a cell phone service, or cable tv or gas etc and services aren't working properly for a particular month, you generally don't get charged for that month. What's the difference here?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by HB7
As an example if you're paying for a cell phone service, or cable tv or gas etc and services aren't working properly for a particular month, you generally don't get charged for that month. What's the difference here?
UAE doesn't have the same consumer laws that we are used to
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:52 am
HB7

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
UAE doesn't have the same consumer laws that we are used to
Yeh that is a good point.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Wow, Ten thousand miles. They are practically worthless.

Etihad values a guest seat at 276365 miles for that route in first. I really don't know how they think that ten thousand is any sort of compensation for this.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
thanks to everyone for your concern, emailed them yesterday, awaiting to see a response.
I did not mention a figure amount, but told them that 10,000 guests points were of no value to me, and that a mileage amount equal to a trip on Etihad one way first, or round trip business would be nice.... lets see if I have gone too far on that one.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by eddibabyyeah
Wow, Ten thousand miles. They are practically worthless.

Etihad values a guest seat at 276365 miles for that route in first. I really don't know how they think that ten thousand is any sort of compensation for this.
Where did you get that figure from?
One way AUH-DFW is 138494 EY miles, and these can be brought down to ~104k plus few hundred dollars in cash.

I say a decent compensation would be 100k EY miles if they're being generous, or at least a complimentary upgrade of a trip of a comparable length to F (might have to pay for a fare to begin with). The complicating factor is that this ticket is a partner redemption.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Sitting upright in F for 15 hours is worse than Y seat which reclines a few inches at least !
Not sure everyone would feel that way. I know I would take the seat width and legroom of a longhaul F seat that cant be reclined, over a Y seat that reclines not very much and has limited legroom or personal space. (Alternatively, give me a full row of Y seats that I can lie out on.... which happened to me on an overnight QF flight when my original Y seat had an issue....that was nice! )

BTW, spending vouchers on their own duty free catalogue means they " spent" much less than the face value......should have been spendable on airline fares.
Personally I dont care what the value is to Qantas - what matters is I get something I value, and can use in a hassle-free way, and get on with my life. In my case , I'd rather have the nice watch and bottle of scotch we got , than 20000 miles or equivalent vouchers from an airline I rarely have the opportunity to fly with with. To which - a subsequent $25 voucher that I received more recently after a service issue has since expired, so I got nothing out of that...
Old Jan 15, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Not sure everyone would feel that way. I know I would take the seat width and legroom of a longhaul F seat that cant be reclined, over a Y seat that reclines not very much and has limited legroom or personal space. (Alternatively, give me a full row of Y seats that I can lie out on.... which happened to me on an overnight QF flight when my original Y seat had an issue....that was nice! )

Personally I dont care what the value is to Qantas - what matters is I get something I value, and can use in a hassle-free way, and get on with my life. In my case , I'd rather have the nice watch and bottle of scotch we got , than 20000 miles or equivalent vouchers from an airline I rarely have the opportunity to fly with with. To which - a subsequent $25 voucher that I received more recently after a service issue has since expired, so I got nothing out of that...
What is a nice watch for you.....$200, $300 or maybe 15000 ? Point is it is all relative. I prefer to spend a voucher for fare where I got dollar to dollar.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
What is a nice watch for you.....$200, $300 or maybe 15000 ? Point is it is all relative. I prefer to spend a voucher for fare where I got dollar to dollar.
Didn't say it was for me. It was a nice shiny gold thing - Skagen, from memory - and my wife was very pleased with it. And if my wife is happy, I can relax. And if I can relax then that, my friend, is something you can't put a value on but giving me a voucher I can't spend is utterly pointless for that particular example, whereas it might suit others just fine. I should also add that my wife is somewhat claustrophobic so a good airline experience pays off.

I think we can both agree that value is in the eye of the beholder.

Last edited by LostAntipod; Jan 17, 2016 at 12:48 pm Reason: Fear of flying
Old Jan 17, 2016, 10:47 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by LostAntipod
Didn't say it was for me. It was a nice shiny gold thing - Skagen, from memory - and my wife was very pleased with it. And if my wife is happy, I can relax. And if I can relax then that, my friend, is something you can't put a value on but giving me a voucher I can't spend is utterly pointless for that particular example, whereas it might suit others just fine. I should also add that my wife is somewhat claustrophobic so a good airline experience pays off.

I think we can both agree that value is in the eye of the beholder.
All relative, don't you agree ?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 11:27 am
Original Poster

broken first class seat

Just to update everyone here
Sent an email making suggestions
No reply yet
I am sure they were not happy with my email
But you all are right 10000 is an insult no matter the form in witch the ticket was purchased
Thanks again to everyone here
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Just to let all of you know, its been 4 days or so, no reply email
Any suggestions?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:15 am
HB7

Originally Posted by fotographer
Just to let all of you know, its been 4 days or so, no reply email
Any suggestions?
I would call them and not let up till you speak to a manager or supervisor of some sort.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Poster

broken first class seat

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.