Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AUH pre-clearance situation these days

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)

I am due to travel IKA-JFK via AUH next week and given the world's terrible state these days, I was wondering whether pre-clearance at AUH had become more chaotic than previously reported?

I have looked up queue time on the CBP website and it doesnt seem to be any change. Max reported is 15 mins at 1-2 am.

Are they sending a lot of people through secondary inspection?
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: AA-ex EXP, PLT, LTG, MVP-Gold, UA-Silver, SPG-LTG, PLT, HH-D, Hyatt-D,
Just returned back to Austin, Tx via AUH.. on Dec 4th and it was a breeze. I came via business class, and it took me all of 5 minutes to clear immigration. The economy line was moving extremely quickly as well.
I did not see secondary inspections happening during the time I was there.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:18 am

Well, coming from Iran might cause the OP to be given some special attention. But it is no big deal, just go with the flow.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Well, coming from Iran might cause the OP to be given some special attention. But it is no big deal, just go with the flow.
I was on the same IKA-AUH-JFK flights in October. US citizen born in the US, and the immigration agent I dealt with at AUH was taken aback when I told him I was coming from Iran, so much so that he had to look up on his computer whether or not I was supposed to be there without some sort of special permission. His computer confirmed that there "are currently no restrictions for traveling to the Islamic Republic of Iran."

I have global entry, and was flying on an award ticket, but was selected for secondary screening *SSSS*, though it only took a few extra minutes.

We loved Iran and are trying to go back in April. The whole process was a breeze then, and it was nice to arrive into JFK as a domestic passenger.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:42 pm

We went to Iran in 1998, and after that I'd occasionally get grief from those clowns who do security questioning before boarding US-airline flights to the US. Before boarding an NW flight in AMS, the guy noticed my visa and said "There are bad people in Iran". I challenged him on that one and he backed off. But after that I renewed my passport before it was due.

So now it's the same thing in the form of SSSS at AUH preclearance.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Dec 7, 2015 at 1:34 pm
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: QR Platinum (Oneworld Emerald), AZ Freccia Alata (Skyteam Gold), Shangri-La GC (Jade)

Thanks guys.

I have been through secondary once many years ago and it was alright. The only issue is that when a lot of people are referred to secondary, the wait can be really long.

I also got the dreaded SSSS once on a one way ticket to LAS. The only difference with a regular check was that I had to go through the full body scan.

Given my point of origin and possible secondary, when do you think I should be leaving the lounge? Travelling in C.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 12:33 am
Original Poster

I am glad you liked Iran! We'd be honored to welcome you back in April. Let me know if you return to Tehran, I'd be happy to see you!

Originally Posted by jchock1
Quote:

I was on the same IKA-AUH-JFK flights in October. US citizen born in the US, and the immigration agent I dealt with at AUH was taken aback when I told him I was coming from Iran, so much so that he had to look up on his computer whether or not I was supposed to be there without some sort of special permission. His computer confirmed that there "are currently no restrictions for traveling to the Islamic Republic of Iran."

I have global entry, and was flying on an award ticket, but was selected for secondary screening *SSSS*, though it only took a few extra minutes.

We loved Iran and are trying to go back in April. The whole process was a breeze then, and it was nice to arrive into JFK as a domestic passenger.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by wandering_persian
Thanks guys.

Given my point of origin and possible secondary, when do you think I should be leaving the lounge? Travelling in C.
30 minutes before is more then sufficient. Most flights are delayed and take ages to board anyway.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Okay folks. Just to give an update.

I DID get SSSS AND secondary screening!! But it was rather quick and the officer was very friendly and courteous.

Lines were pretty short. Between 20 to 30 people were waiting in secondary.

Sitting now in the US Premium lounge and I am happy to announce that it now has ALCOHOL. Having champagne and cursing the ayatollahs who has made our lives a mess since 1979!!

Peace in the world!

Next stop: JFK for the first time ever!!
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:18 pm

Be careful criticizing the regime. There are not too many people traveling business class on today's EY flight out of Teheran.

We left Teheran on an Iran Air flight to Damascus, many years ago. So the Iranian strictures were in place during the flight, but the minute we left the plane my wife pulled off her headscarf, causing other passengers to stare as though she had taken off all her clothes...
Old Dec 15, 2015, 2:46 am
Original Poster

Flight to Damascus are full of religious pilgrims. No wonder they were shocked. Not the case on other flights and especially today. These days many women drop the scarf while driving. The gvt had to come up with rules to combat that "corruption on earth" (sic)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/16/iranian-women-risk-cars-being-impounded-if-they-drive-without-veil

Be careful criticizing the regime. There are not too many people traveling business class on today's EY flight out of Teheran.

We left Teheran on an Iran Air flight to Damascus, many years ago. So the Iranian strictures were in place during the flight, but the minute we left the plane my wife pulled off her headscarf, causing other passengers to stare as though she had taken off all her clothes...
Old Jan 1, 2016, 11:43 pm

Following all the advice on FT, I went to preclearance late, about 1 hr before the scheduled departure time of my flight to Chicago. This is the last of the middle-of-the-night departures. The listed boarding time was 1.5 hrs before the flight, and the premium lounge had completely emptied out except for a few people sleeping on the sofas with their shoes on. Floor and table cleaning was in full swing, so finally I chickened out and left the lounge.

At that point the corridors towards preclearance were deserted, security was deserted (except for staff), the preclearance area was deserted (except for staff). The friendly immigration officer waved me through without showing me images of my bags. Me: "No photos to see?" Officer: "No, not necessary." Me: "Is that because mine are the last two bags left?" Officer: "That's right, they've got to be yours." In all about 5 min.

Of course, the post-pre-clearance lounge was packed to the gills.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:47 am

Incidentally, before landing in Chicago an announcement was made to the effect that "US law prohibits the importation of meat...plant products...if you have any of these things you must go through the red lane and declare them..."
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:35 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
On the Etihad website it states that if one is checking in at Abu Dhabi, check in closes 2 hours before departure. Is this true? Or a scare mongering comment to get people to reach the airport early.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-y...-preclearance/
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gottaluvNW
On the Etihad website it states that if one is checking in at Abu Dhabi, check in closes 2 hours before departure. Is this true? Or a scare mongering comment to get people to reach the airport early.

http://www.etihad.com/en-us/before-y...-preclearance/
Was curious about the preclearance situation these days...

We're in F AUH-JFK on the 3:30am flight. We're connecting, so checkin isn't an issue. But really, how long before 3:30am do we need to leave the F lounge? We both have Global Entry. Surely it doesn't take two hours to make it from lounge to plane? Does it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.