Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Convert your loyalty points into 25% more Etihad Guest Miles-Any devaluation in cards

Convert your loyalty points into 25% more Etihad Guest Miles-Any devaluation in cards

Old Nov 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by seychellesbound
US AMEX does not transfer to EY
Australian AMEX does though, but I don't think there are any AA flights here. I looked on their website and flights would be operated by Qantas. Would it still work?
I've got to go to Europe next year, so I want to see if this would be an option or not.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:32 pm

To book EY using AU MR points, you have two choices: Convert to EY, or convert to SPG and then AA. I will try to explain using LHR-SYD as an example:

1. Convert to EY Guest Miles

The EY flights LHR-AUH-SYD in F costs 217k EY miles, GBP 197 of surcharges, and also other taxes. As the conversion rate from AU MR points to EY miles is 1:1 (and, currently, 25% bonus), this means that you need to convert 100k MR points to get 125k EY miles. The total cost to you is 173,600 MR points (under this promo) + AUD 420 of EY surcharge + taxes.

2. Convert MR points to SPG, then AA

The same LHR-AUH-SYD flight on EY F costs 100k AA miles, as long as it is booked before 22 March 2015. Since every block of 20k Starpoints converts to 25k AA miles, it means you need to obtain 80k Starpoints in order to make this redemption. And as the conversion rate from MR points to SPG is 2:1, it means you need 160,000 MR points to get the 80k SPG points. AA does not charge the EY surcharge, so the total cost to you is 160k MR points + taxes.

But if you are booking after 22 March 2016, the price goes up significantly and AA stops being a viable option. So if your travel is in the summer, and if you will not be able to finalise the booking before 22 March 2016, then EY is the only option.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by spludgey
Sorry, I'm quite new to this (obviously). So I could transfer Amex points to Etihad and get the 25% bonus. Then book flights through them with AA, which are effectively half price?

Is there a thread on here that tells me how to do this?
Apologies Spludgey, you've been lead down a garden path. No, you cannot transfer AMEX points to Etihad to get the transfer bonus and then somehow use Etihad Guest points to make Etihad bookings via AA to take advantage of AA's lower redemption rates (at least lower redemption rates for the next couple of months). That should have been clarified in the first instance to you, instead of going down a tangent.

Before transferring any points, to either scheme, it is always recommended to see if it has a redemption you want available first before doing so. Speculatively transferring points from a flexible points currency (AMEX points) to a inflexible points currency (Etihad Guest or AAdvantage) comes with opportunity costs that you may regret if award availability dries up (and right now people are redeeming their AAdvantage balances in multitudes, so award seats will be in high demand). The best thing about flexible point currencies is that you can build up balances and have some protection from devaluations because usually you'll still have a decent transfer partner left.

I hope that helps and clears up any confusion caused to you.

Last edited by SuiteFlight; Nov 19, 2015 at 11:11 pm
Old Nov 19, 2015, 8:58 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Reminder not to make any member specific comments. If you have a problem or feel commented upon, please report it to a moderator.

Anythings else will be summarily redacted, or if the context of the rest of the response cannot be preserved, summarily deleted. So if you had something meaningful in your post it would be a shame.

Best regards Oliver2002
Senior Mod
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:19 pm

Would a Hyatt > Etihad transfer trigger the 25% bonus?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by NoY
... Although the last time they ran something like this, .....
So out of interest, how often do EY offer this type of bonus? I've a bag load of Amex points I can transfer and a bonus would be nice, but I don't want to start the clock ticking just yet.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by seychellesbound
Would a Hyatt > Etihad transfer trigger the 25% bonus?
My understanding of the EY website is that any transfer into EY generates the 25% bonus other than

Etisalat Rewards, Starwood StarPoints, and flybuys points are excluded from this promotion.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Cmdr Tomski
So out of interest, how often do EY offer this type of bonus? I've a bag load of Amex points I can transfer and a bonus would be nice, but I don't want to start the clock ticking just yet.
Maybe others will correct me. But I think they do this sort of thing every 12 months or so. At least that is the case with my UK Amex rewards card.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:27 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black

Anybody have their points post? Not me....
Old Dec 12, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008
From AMEX AU takes average of 3 business days.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Quote:

From AMEX AU takes average of 3 business days.
I'm talking about the 25% bonus
Old Dec 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

They get credited together at the same time.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:52 am

From the T & Cs:-

Bonus Etihad Guest Miles will be posted to your Etihad Guest Programme account within 7 days of the standard miles being transferred.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
They get credited together at the same time.
This is true in the past when I've done a transfer they have posted at the same time. It hasn't happened for me this time. I have done 2 transfers and bonus points have not posted for either yet.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lan44
Quote:

From the T & Cs:-

Bonus Etihad Guest Miles will be posted to your Etihad Guest Programme account within 7 days of the standard miles being transferred.
Exactly, and my Etihad miles in question posted probably 21 days ago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.