Search

AUH-SFO - Etihad or Jetihad?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
AUH-SFO - Etihad or Jetihad?

Will be flying AUH-SFO.
Is it worth the extra leg to fly EY/AA via LAX vs 9W direct to SFO?
FWIW, I really don't like Indian food - are there any other entree choices on 9W?
TIA
Old Oct 25, 2015, 3:44 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Will be flying AUH-SFO.
Is it worth the extra leg to fly EY/AA via LAX vs 9W direct to SFO?
FWIW, I really don't like Indian food - are there any other entree choices on 9W?
TIA
This isn't a Oneworld query so I'm moving it to the Etihad board.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Oct 25, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
This thread should be useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...u-bkk-kul.html

You might want to mention what cabin you'd be flying in.
Old Oct 25, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
This thread should be useful:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/etiha...u-bkk-kul.html

You might want to mention what cabin you'd be flying in.
Thank you.
I posted the thread - incorrectly - on OW boards. Now that it has been transferred here, I see the thread you referenced.
I'd like to fly F but those awards are not likely to happen.
Perhaps F on 9W direct to SFO might open. If so, would you take F on 9W direct vs J on EY (via LAX)?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I haven't yet flown EY F but have flown it in J. But I would certainly fly F over J any day, even if the SFO product F product is inferior to that out of LAX. In fact, from what I've read in that other thread I'd even pick the non-stop out of SFO over going through LAX. But again, I've flown neither kind of EY plane in F.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 11:11 pm

Programs: Lots
Etihad operates their own 77L metal on some days, depending on when you're flying. Worth checking.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Axey
Etihad operates their own 77L metal on some days, depending on when you're flying. Worth checking.
Thank you. I did see that before but apparently that stops sometimes this November. I am not flying until early 2017 so I would have to book the award in early 2016.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Axey
AUH-SFO is solidly 9W. I spot at SFO a couple times a week and have never seen a EY-liveried aircraft at SFO, always 9W. EY is flying this route to nip off a piece of EK's lunch, and they're trying to do it cheaply by siphoning off a Jet 77W and sticking it on the SFO-AUH route(they have a controlling stake in Jet).

It's also interesting to note that EK upgauged their 77W to an A388 less than a month after EY started AUH-SFO.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Thank you. I did see that before but apparently that stops sometimes this November. I am not flying until early 2017 so I would have to book the award in early 2016.
I drive by the airport in the morning everyday and once in awhile I see a EY plane instead of Jet. It might just be an equipment swap and not a scheduled occurrence.

Check out this trip report of Jetihad F from AUH-SFO

The F hard product looks much better than any J.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I'd say EY over 9W, but I don't know if I'd add flying time with an extra stop to an already long flight. It won't be worth my while.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caimaster
I drive by the airport in the morning everyday and once in awhile I see a EY plane instead of Jet. It might just be an equipment swap and not a scheduled occurrence.

Check out this trip report of Jetihad F from AUH-SFO

The F hard product looks much better than any J.
Thanks - great report.
Recently took EK F from CPT to SFO (via DXB) and agree with mediocre food and poor service on EK (for an F flight). Nothing like CX for sure.
Also a nice report on SIN where we will be in a few weeks - splurging to stay at the Marina Bay Sands so that I can swim in the rooftop pool
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
Up until now its been a solidly Jetihad route, from 1 Mar 2016 - it operates as both (about 3/4 Etihad and 4/3 Jetihad a week), until Summer 2016 (Mar 27), where it returns to Jetihad. Don't see this changing in the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avm2806
Up until now its been a solidly Jetihad route, from 1 Mar 2016 - it operates as both (about 3/4 Etihad and 4/3 Jetihad a week), until Summer 2016 (Mar 27), where it returns to Jetihad. Don't see this changing in the foreseeable future.
Thanks - Did you really mean March 27 as Summer or is it June/July?
Old Dec 17, 2015, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by knit-in
I'd say EY over 9W, but I don't know if I'd add flying time with an extra stop to an already long flight. It won't be worth my while.
The AUH-SFO (9W) flight leaves at 02:25 and the LAX (EY)flight leaves at 9:20 - that makes it an easy choice for me.
In this case I'd rather add another short segment LAX-SFO than leave at 02:25 (with all the hassle that this involves)
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

What is the current status of these flights (EY183)?
Will be flying in May '17 and I cannot tell if it is EY or 9W.
How can I tell who operates that flight?
TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.