Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turning Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Turning Platinum

My last flight on Sunday took be to 128K tier miles. Etihad website does not reflect the change in tier status (although does show the correct number of tier miles) and I haven't had an email to confirm.

Any idea how long this process takes? I have a couple of upcoming flights that I would of course like to be Platinum for, but I also have my wife flying Etihad in a few weeks and would like to get her the Gold membership asap.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: CX - Gold, EY- Plat, HGP - Diamond, Accor - Plat, SPG - Gold, IHG - Plat Amb
Usually a few days after the miles post. If it aint done by next week, get in touch with EYHelp.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
I hit Platinum this September, with Etihad Guest showing correct status a day later and Etihad emailing me with notice that I was now Etihad Guest Platinum two days later.

On flights I took this week, my boarding pass issued in Sydney still had Etihad Guest Gold, but the boarding pass issued in Abu Dhabi correctly had Etihad Guest Platinum.

Still waiting for Etihad Guest Platinum membership pack (but then given how long it took for the Gold membership pack to arrive, no surprise).

Can't say I've noticed much difference between being Gold and Platinum, and there probably won't be until Etihad re-open a First lounge (and if you are already travelling in First, it'll still be moot).

Some airlines put a distinction on their top tier members, Etihad doesn't really.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Until the First Class lounge in Abu Dhabi reopens (I doubt if it ever well in all honesty), there is virtually no difference between Gold and Platinum. In the air, it doesn't matter whether you are a base member or Platinum, as there is no distinction in the cabin - either in J or F. You can use the First Class check in, but that's just about it. I often fly to Bangkok, and as there is no Etihad Airways lounge, it is nice to use the Thai Airways first class lounge. The other airports I fly to all have the Etihad Airways lounge. If Etihad don't reopen their First Class lounge early next year, I will not be going that extra mile to maintain my Platinum membership. Anyway, welcome to Platinum.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 4:30 am

I find in the cabin the crew make more of an effort to personally greet their gold and platinum guests. This is especially true when flying in Y.

In the event of an op-up you are also at the top of the list which is great on some heavy Y routes.

Platinum is felt when travelling Y as you get lounge, plus better service in the plane. But in J or F it really doesnt change much except every now and then but that all depends on the crew.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 10:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all, still no change, I have sent an email to Etihadguest. I'll report back when I get any change!
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:09 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Originally Posted by sabdhabi
Until the First Class lounge in Abu Dhabi reopens (I doubt if it ever well in all honesty), there is virtually no difference between Gold and Platinum. In the air, it doesn't matter whether you are a base member or Platinum, as there is no distinction in the cabin - either in J or F. You can use the First Class check in, but that's just about it. I often fly to Bangkok, and as there is no Etihad Airways lounge, it is nice to use the Thai Airways first class lounge. The other airports I fly to all have the Etihad Airways lounge. If Etihad don't reopen their First Class lounge early next year, I will not be going that extra mile to maintain my Platinum membership. Anyway, welcome to Platinum.
Gold Etihad members do not get access to the premium lounge in Abu Dhabi when flying economy.

Anyone, regardless of status, will always get access to all the lounges if they are flying business.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Speaking of benefits - I'm pretty sure being a Platinum got me moved to the top of the queue for a shower in AUH a few months ago.

When I arrived in the lounge, a reception staff member showed me to the area roped-off for Plats. I thought it was a rather disappointing set-up, and said to the person that I would prefer to go have a shower first as I was just off a flight from SYD. They replied that the showers were very busy, but would go check for me. I resigned myself to the roped-off area and a glass of juice, but the staffer came back and quietly said that they could take me to the showers right now, but please follow her and not say anything. Sure enough I was whisked past those waiting in the spa reception to a vacant shower. Much appreciated !
Old Nov 1, 2015, 5:56 am

I always found EY to be much more attentive to their Plats and Golds than any other airline. Because there are so few of them, I guess.
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:38 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
I always found EY to be much more attentive to their Plats and Golds than any other airline. Because there are so few of them, I guess.
There are a sizeable number of Etihad Guest Gold members thanks to the generous status matching promotions past (just had to show an equivalent status card). Platinum Guest is much smaller but then not as hard to achieve on some other airlines so I doubt it's too tiny a pool.

In terms of my own experiences I've not noticed much being made of Gold or Platinum (although reportedly it seems to get mentioned at the back of the plane in economy sometimes according to others). Qantas (another carrier I fly) makes far more reference to status on my flights with them than I have ever had on Etihad (I've only had it mentioned on a few isolated occasions on my Etihad flights, and never in a way that made a real difference).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyWings
My last flight on Sunday took be to 128K tier miles. Etihad website does not reflect the change in tier status (although does show the correct number of tier miles) and I haven't had an email to confirm.

Any idea how long this process takes? I have a couple of upcoming flights that I would of course like to be Platinum for, but I also have my wife flying Etihad in a few weeks and would like to get her the Gold membership asap.
Just turned platinum over the weekend (first world excitement issues.. sad hey!!) and It showed up my account the next day with platinum pack ordered where my miles accrue. Now roll on the opening of the F lounge.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by irish mark
Just turned platinum over the weekend (first world excitement issues.. sad hey!!) and It showed up my account the next day with platinum pack ordered where my miles accrue. Now roll on the opening of the F lounge.
Welcome to the club Irish Mark Platinum membership pack should take a month or two to get to you - my "special gift" was a leather covered notebook (and I imagine it's everyone's this year). Don't forget you can gift Gold Membership to anyone you want - you can request an electronic copy of the form from the Etihad if you want to nominate someone now (has to be on the form, you just can't do via email alone).
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
I've been gold and elite. back and forth a couple of times. My experience is... being gold - No difference between you and others in Business class cabin.
but Elite - I felt the difference for sure! I am most of the time greeted with my last name every time someone attends to me during the flight. at least 2 or 3 introductions and during the flight I'm asked about my"experience so far". and when I got gold. I felt like nobody cared.

I also once traveled elite in Economy class. 2014 November. YYZ to AUH. I was given middle 4 seats to myself. A passenger was moved for me by the station manager at the airport. Flight manager introduced herself to me. Offered me champagne. (Which I declined). and asked me for my meal preference as some items (lamb) run out by the time they get to the back of the aircraft. (which is where I was). I kindly asked her for 2 meals as I was very hungry. My food was brought to me before everyone else.

That's my experience. For me it's Elite or NO EY. lol

Did you Notebook have your full name engraved on it? Mine did and I also got engrave leather. Passport full size wallet. Just making sure if they are giving out the same this year.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Thanks guys; I have it for two and a bit years now don't I??.. so fingers crossed for the new terminal at AUH? Do EY Routinely upgrade Platinum flyers or only if they need to OP UP someone? I generally fly in C but was curious if i might take the chance on a day time flight in Y. I hope the F Lounge reopens soon. I really can't believe its being closed for almost two years now exp with the new Qatar Lounges in Doha etc.

I assume with stars matching there are lots of Golds these days; I wonder what the number of Platinum card holders might be like. Is there likely to be a few on a flight on certain routes ?
Old Nov 17, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
Originally Posted by irish mark
Thanks guys; I have it for two and a bit years now don't I??.. so fingers crossed for the new terminal at AUH? Do EY Routinely upgrade Platinum flyers or only if they need to OP UP someone? I generally fly in C but was curious if i might take the chance on a day time flight in Y. I hope the F Lounge reopens soon. I really can't believe its being closed for almost two years now exp with the new Qatar Lounges in Doha etc.

I assume with stars matching there are lots of Golds these days; I wonder what the number of Platinum card holders might be like. Is there likely to be a few on a flight on certain routes ?
Y to C upgrades are rare nowadays from what I hear specially on longhaul. I used to get upgrades YYZ to AUH. But I haven't flown Y for many years except for absolute necessity. I've been upgraded C to F a few times on shorter routes. 3 to 4.5 hr flights. Never on long routes though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.