Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Worthwhile to Schedule AUH Layover on F Itinerary to Sample Lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2015, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

It seems that AUH premium lounges are in a state of flux. My preferred itinerary from KWI to BOM would allow only about 1:15 between flights. The alternative is a layover of some 7:30, but that involves getting up in KWI in the dead of night, and flying partly in darkness on the first leg. Is it worth it to sample AUH lounges as an F passenger? What are the amenities, including possible massage etc.?

Thanks....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:58 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Explore
It seems that AUH premium lounges are in a state of flux. My preferred itinerary from KWI to BOM would allow only about 1:15 between flights. The alternative is a layover of some 7:30, but that involves getting up in KWI in the dead of night, and flying partly in darkness on the first leg. Is it worth it to sample AUH lounges as an F passenger? What are the amenities, including possible massage etc.?

Thanks....
At this moment in time there is no F lounge at AUH - and there won't be one till at least 2016.

The current premium lounge is for both first and business class passengers. And this lounge, in my opinion isn't worth adjusting your arrangements to visit it.

For a BUSINESS CLASS lounge it is very good - mainly because of the spa offerings and the style and shave located within the lounge.

However the food offerings are limited and the lounge gets incredibly busy at times.

So basically, I wouldn't go out of my way at all to visit it.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by HB7
So basically, I wouldn't go out of my way at all to visit it.
Absolutely.

"Sampling" lounges might mean something if you had several different types of lounge on offer from different airlines to which you had access on the basis of alliance status.

Both lounges in AUH are Etihad lounges and are therefore effectively the same. (Unless you want to sample the Al Reem lounge. Then you must be crazy).
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: QF(Platinum) VA(Platinum) EY(Platinum) NZ(Gold) AZ(Platinum) SPG(Gold)
No, 7 plus hours at AUH will not be worth it. Trust me, as I've had a few transits at AUH at that length or greater and I've found them painful after a few hours.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with the short layover and pop my head into the lounge if there's time - as there may be since the AUH-BOM flight is "frequently delayed" according to Google Flights. I am hoping for a decent experience in F on that flight, followed by the chauffeur ride on arrival.....
Old Oct 6, 2015, 6:25 pm
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with the short layover and pop my head into the lounge if there's time - as there may be since the AUH-BOM flight is "frequently delayed" according to Google Flights. I am hoping for a decent experience in F on that flight, followed by the chauffeur ride on arrival.....
If you have time, and since you are flying in F - my recommendation is to get a a spa treatment or a treatment from shave and style. There isn't much else to see in the lounge. And food is ok - but nothing special.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 1:06 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
don´t expect too much from the F experience on this rather short flight. On KWI-AUH you have the simple J-seats on the A320 and then 3 hours or so on the widebody. In my personal opinion, J is more than sufficient on this route and also gives you chauffeur service, lounge and spa. The not-existent F ground experience was mentioned as well in several threads. I would not pay extra, even not in miles. However, you may of course have your reasons.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: All of Them
I wouldn't schedule 7 hours to visit the lounges. Terminal 1 Etihad premium lounge is fairly run of the mill, partioned a little too much, and nothing special. Terminal 3 Premium lounge is well designed, a shave is nice, but depending on the time you are there it is incredibly crowded. F lounge may or may not be open.

KWI is a rough enough destination, don't add to it by spending 7 hours in a rough airport with a (politely said) 'untraveled' crowd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.