Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

6-hour layover at AUH - any nice restaurants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2015, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB

Dear all,

FT has been a really valuable source of information in the past, so I hope that you can give me some insight for an upcoming trip. I will be flying through AUH for the first time on the way from ZRH to SEZ. We have 6 hours to kill (traveling in Y, so no lounge option) and both arriving and departing from Terminal 3.

Since we are there during dinner time, we though about having something nice for dinner. But is there a nice restaurant in Terminal 3?

I took a look at AUH's website, but I cannot understand whether it is all about fast food outlets or if they have "real" restaurants in the airside part of the terminal...

Thanks for your inputs.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
There are no "nice" restaurants in T3. It's just like a mall food court. If your passports allow visa-on-arrival, I would go landside and jump in a taxi to Yas Island:

Yas Viceroy - http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.c...fe/restaurants

Yas Rotana (Blue Grill steakhouse is great) - http://www.rotanatimes.com/yasislandrotana/dining/

It is only 10 minutes by taxi (<50 AED) and worth it make the most of your stopover.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 11:50 pm

Programs: QFF, AA, LM, EY
Originally Posted by Work-Shy
There are no "nice" restaurants in T3. It's just like a mall food court. If your passports allow visa-on-arrival, I would go landside and jump in a taxi to Yas Island:

Yas Viceroy - http://www.viceroyhotelsandresorts.c...fe/restaurants

Yas Rotana (Blue Grill steakhouse is great) - http://www.rotanatimes.com/yasislandrotana/dining/

It is only 10 minutes by taxi (<50 AED) and worth it make the most of your stopover.
+1 great advice and I totally agree with the recommendations.
A 6 hour layover is about the perfect time needed to enjoy a nice dinner without feeling rushed.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: EY Silver
Following up on that, I have a 6 hrs transit at AUH and want to use that time for some sightseeing - would you suggest to go towards the Skeikh Zayed Mosque or Yas Island for sightseeing purpose (not for restaurant), or is both possible in that time? Don't have any specific preferences for sightseeing, just want to get a small glimpse of the city. I Will arrive in AUH early morning.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:05 am

grand mosque is open from 9am to 10pm daily except on Friday mornings. Yas islad is not a good place for sightseeing, but you can enjoy the meals there.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:29 am

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
MUCflyerEY,
If you are feeling adventurous, you could grab a taxi to the fruit & vegetable market at the far end of Abu Dhabi island (seeing most of Abu Dhabi on the way to and I'm there). It's quite a sight if you've never experienced anything similar before (and early morning is the best time if it's during the summer and you have to be outside). Then I'd head to the Grand Mosque before heading back to the airport (or lunch somewhere en route if you have time). Feel free to send me a PM with any questions - I am a long-time Abu Dhabi resident and happy to help.
Edited to add:
I would echo Juikoeur's comments on Yas Island - not much to see but there's a massive new mall, Ferrari World and plenty of decent restaurants at the different hotels.

Last edited by Work-Shy; Aug 31, 2015 at 6:31 am Reason: Additional Info
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: EY Silver
Thanks a lot for both of your suggestions!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:18 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Work-Shy
There are no "nice" restaurants in T3. It's just like a mall food court. If your passports allow visa-on-arrival, I would go landside and jump in a taxi to Yas Island.
I love the Avasa Indian Kitchen in the shopping center at St Regis Saadiyat Island.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Gold, Kimpton Inner Circle
This topic is great timing for me! I have s 9h 45m layover this Friday. Arriving on EY 182 from SFO at 12:30PM. I was thinking with Friday being a quiet day and trying not to sweat/stink too much in the heat before my next 8 hour flight to HKG, I would just go to the Etihad towers for a late lunch at Observation Deck at 300. Is that a good plan or would you recommend another place with a great view of the water and city?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: EK Platinum, EY Silver
The only really good food in Abu Dhabi is at Zuma, which unfortunately is on the other other side of the island, about the furthest point from the airport.

There are ok ones but to be honest its not really worht leaving the terminal if you only have 6 hours just for the food. On the other hand if you want to get out and just maybe relax, try one of the hotels on Yas Island. There is a decent Mexican in the Park Inn, which suprisingly doesnt do burritos but the rest is ok.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF, UA, DL, AB
Thanks a lot to everybody for the valuable contributions. I think we will leave the terminal and take a look at Yas Island since we do not want to spend more than six hours in the terminal. Passports won't be an issue as we can enter the UAE without requiring a pre-arranged visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.