Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

AUH-BKK: EY operated by 9W (Jetihad) F vs EY J?

AUH-BKK: EY operated by 9W (Jetihad) F vs EY J?

Old Aug 3, 2015, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW Emerald
AUH-BKK: EY on Jet 77W (Jetihad) F vs EY metal J?

Hi all,

looks like starting later this month EY is rotating some dry leased 3 class 9W Jet Airways config 77Ws into the AUH-BKK route.

I have an return AUH-BKK trip coming up later this month. I can book directly into EY metal 77W Biz (2 cabin 77w, no F) or book J on the 9W config 77W operated by EY and use 20k points to upgrade to F for each leg.

AUH-BKK is a midhaul 6:30 - 6:40 duration flight. Is the 9W config First Class worth using 20k points to upgrade into? From EY metal J? Or the 9W herringbone J?

I read here on the forums the SFO-AUH flights 9W config 77W planes had some complaints of it not measuring up to EY metal F class. But any F class is better than J right?

But worth 40k points round trip?

I have only flown EY J before... it sounds like the dedicated EY F lounge is still closed at AUH. Do F passengers get other differential treatment on the ground like better Chauffeur cars? (For previous AUH-BKK J flights I got the Audi A6 at AUH, Benz E at BKK).

If ground experience is similar, aka same cars, access to same shared J+F lounge, then the decision is just focused on whether that 6 hour flight in F is that much better than J.

Last edited by dchen2; Aug 10, 2015 at 3:29 am
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:01 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
No different treatment at the ground as the F lounge is still not open.
It would be interesting if EY offers the full F-service on board, such as chef, pj's or if they sell it as a J product and some luck people ( status pax) will get the better seats
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:32 am

In AUH the chauffeur cars are the same. In London there was a difference between F and J, but in BKK I'm not sure.
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
or if they sell it as a J product and some luck people ( status pax) will get the better seats
Why would this be the case, if they are already properly selling the cabin as 3-class?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 9:18 am

Same on some LH flights as well.
I am not sure if they sell it as F as the 777W operates quite infrequently.
Sometimes EY404&405 are replaced by an Airbus A332 without F cabin
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
Same on some LH flights as well.
I am not sure if they sell it as F as the 777W operates quite infrequently.
Sometimes EY404&405 are replaced by an Airbus A332 without F cabin
But they're selling F class in this case
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:04 pm

I have not seen it. Which date and flight?

Just tried a couple of dates in kayak and I get an F price on EY406 operated by an a332.

As far as I know is there no a332 with an F class
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:26 pm

E.g. 15AUG EY404.

Easy to check on expertflyer.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

Indeed it is. It shows that this airplane has an F cabin. But is it sold as F?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 3:17 pm

Until October 3rd, EY operates 1-2 daily flight(EY 404&405 and EY 406&407) with Jetihad's 77W (except some Mondays). They officially sell the F cabin on their homepage.

Last edited by h1ghfly3r; Aug 7, 2015 at 3:59 am
Old Aug 10, 2015, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Correct, the "Jetihad" AUH-BKK-AUH flights are selling as F.

Another interesting question. Qatar is now operating F class on the A380 DOH-BKK.

So choice of Qatar F AUH-DOH-BKK, or Etihad J or Etihad F on Jet configured 77W AUH-BKK.

Worth the additional connection to fly Qatar F BKK-DOH on their new A380? (DOH-AUH leg will be QR's regional F on their A320/A321).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dchen2
Correct, the "Jetihad" AUH-BKK-AUH flights are selling as F.

Another interesting question. Qatar is now operating F class on the A380 DOH-BKK.

So choice of Qatar F AUH-DOH-BKK, or Etihad J or Etihad F on Jet configured 77W AUH-BKK.

Worth the additional connection to fly Qatar F BKK-DOH on their new A380? (DOH-AUH leg will be QR's regional F on their A320/A321).
With all the recent aircraft changes would I go for QR in case you want to be sure that you get what you booked.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Ok, I bit the bullet. I booked on Jetihad in F AUH-BKK outbound and am flying back Qatar A380 F BKK-DOH-AUH. It'll give me a comparison and 2 first times for me since I haven't flown Etihad or Qatar F before.

I'm looking forward to the trip! And the Jetihad flight in F means I'll need to book another F flight on Etihad metal in the future for a true comparison and experience!
Old Jan 1, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dchen2
Ok, I bit the bullet. I booked on Jetihad in F AUH-BKK outbound and am flying back Qatar A380 F BKK-DOH-AUH. It'll give me a comparison and 2 first times for me since I haven't flown Etihad or Qatar F before.

I'm looking forward to the trip! And the Jetihad flight in F means I'll need to book another F flight on Etihad metal in the future for a true comparison and experience!
Have you finished the trip? Any reviews? I am in the same situation bkk-auh in 77w J for 30k AA miles or in Jetihad 777 F for 45k AA miles
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
Have you finished the trip? Any reviews? I am in the same situation bkk-auh in 77w J for 30k AA miles or in Jetihad 777 F for 45k AA miles
15k is worth $300, so do F.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Peter_Ng
Stick to EY's J. The only difference is the seat and the 9W crew. The food is the same. And the flight is just over 5 hours, not long enough to warrant the extra 15k miles. Unless of course these are expiring any way and have no other use.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.