Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

May's Quadruple/Triple Miles Promotion - fair and ethical?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Dear All,

I have been knocking my head against a brick wall for six weeks now and would appreciate feedback on 1) whether other people have been caught out by this offer; and 2) views on whether Etihad have acted fairly and ethically, and 3) if not how to rectify it (Etihad guest customer service is virtually non-existent - email - and is an avenue already exhausted).

Very simply, I bought and travelled under the quadruple/triple miles promotion at the end of May (prior to the announcement of change in miles programme on June 3). Despite several calls Etihad delayed the credit of 35k miles until after the changes in programme on 8 July and now say tough luck that my rewards have been effectively devalued by 40% to 60% (depends on how you calculate). Here is timeline.

1. Etihad launch quadruple/triple miles in mid-May.

2. I get my company to buy fully flexible first class ticket from AUH to LDN on 21 May.

3. I travel on 29 May (returning 6 June).

4. Etihad announce changes to Etihad guest programme on 3 June.

5. Etihad allocate outbound miles (c.35k) in June however for some reason delay the allocation of inbound (35k).

6. I ring several times to main call centre during June to try and get inbound credited (always promised that miles be credited within 48 hours) prior to 8 July.

7. Finally on 9 July (the day after changes in programme are implemented), they credit the base miles although not the bonus miles.

8. Since 9 July, I have contacted etihad guest directly by email (they have no telephone number) requesting my bonus miles as well as additional miles to compensate me for the fact that they have devalued the rewards.

9.Finally, at the weekend I get a virtually automated, email telling me to read the terms and conditions and sorry I am unhappy. Still the bonus miles are not credited.

I don't think that Etihad's response is right. I bought and effectively used the ticket prior to the announcement of their changes (3 June). They then delayed the credit of 35k miles until after they implemented the changes. They effectively sold me something with x rewards and then once I had used the service, chose to change my rewards to be effectively worth 40% less before giving it to me.

I understand the changes to the programme - it was perhaps overly generous, especially the UAE credit cards, although having done the numbers the extent of the hike makes Etihad arguably uncompetitive v Emirates or BA especially given their more limited network.......I also like Etihad - AD and LDN airport staff are always good as are planes and service - and as AD is my home, am very loyal to Etihad (c.150 flights with them)...but for those who tear their hair at Etihad Guest and customer service (not the quality it should be of a premium airline), I can say only that on my experience it is difficult to disagree.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:27 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hello,

Kindly send us a private message with your Etihad Guest member number and your booking details. Our team will look into it.
Thank you.
Best regards,

EtihadHelp*KC
Old Jul 28, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I've always wondered why EtihadHelp requests the "booking details" even for complaints where this information is irrelevant or superfluous.

A careful reading of the complaint shows that the base miles posted; the dates are also mentioned (though it should not be necessary, any activity within the offer period should qualify for the offer), so all that is needed is the Etihad Guest number.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 1:16 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
The basic terms of the promotion are as follows:

- Valid for travel booked by June 4, 2015
- Registration required by June 4, 2015
- Valid for travel between May 13, 2015, and February 29, 2016
- Blackout dates of July 15, 2015 through August 15, 2015, and December 15, 2015, and January 15, 2016, apply
- Valid for travel on Etihad Airways operated flights and codeshare flights operated by Etihad Airways Partners
- Bonus miles count as redeemable miles only (they don’t count towards status)
- It can take up to 60 days after travel for bonus miles to post
Old Jul 31, 2015, 6:22 am

Neither fair or ethical - it was a total con

Etihad knew exactly what they were doing.

I bought a number of business class flights because the etihad website told me I would have enough bonus miles from it to take my wife on holiday in business class. These were the terms of the transaction.

They wait until the flights are booked and then they basically say 'fooled you, those miles we promised you are now worth much much less and now only cover one of the seats that you want instead of two'.

The devaluation would have been planned well in advance. When they were advertising what seemed like a very generous promotion they knew that in fact customers would not benefit in the terms that they were advertising.

Incredible way to treat customers - such a blatant swindle.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: PC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by pml147
Etihad knew exactly what they were doing.

I bought a number of business class flights because the etihad website told me I would have enough bonus miles from it to take my wife on holiday in business class. These were the terms of the transaction.

They wait until the flights are booked and then they basically say 'fooled you, those miles we promised you are now worth much much less and now only cover one of the seats that you want instead of two'.

The devaluation would have been planned well in advance. When they were advertising what seemed like a very generous promotion they knew that in fact customers would not benefit in the terms that they were advertising.

Incredible way to treat customers - such a blatant swindle.
Excellent post. I recently had a problem with a flight I took in business class . I was very disappointed with the experience and complained to Etihad. Etihad offered me "compensation" in the way of miles. I thought the amount they offered covered the problem I had had and put me back in the position I was in before the problem. I now find those miles are not anywhere near enough to get an upgrade to business and do feel the goalposts moved leaving me feeling duped.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:54 am
hek

quadruple miles promotion and retro miles claim

Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Hello,

Kindly send us a private message with your Etihad Guest member number and your booking details. Our team will look into it.
Thank you.
Best regards,

EtihadHelp*KC

Hi - I've been trying to resolve a retro miles claim from March this year (flying on virgin australia) and a quadruple miles claim (missing the extra miles). I've written to your etihad guest team numerous times with no action.

Etihad prides itself on great customer service but it has been shocking to say the least!

hek
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:42 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by hek
Etihad prides itself on great customer service but it has been shocking to say the least!
Since when has Etihad prided itself on great customer service? It is fair to say that the customer service from any of the ME3 is absolutely atrocious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.