Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class: SFO-AUH or SFO-LAX-AUH?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

First Class: SFO-AUH, SFO-LAX-AUH, or SFO-JFK-AUH?

I'm deciding between these two routes and hear mixed reviews about the Jet Airways flight from SFO. My trip isn't until April 2016; are there any plans to replace the plane with an Etihad plane?

Also, I'm connecting to BOM or DEL so either I'll have a 2 hour or 8 hour layover with the SFO flight. If I take the LAX flight, I'll have a 1.5 or 2 hour flight (or overnight). If I'm looking to maximize my Etihad F experience, is there one that is more preferable?

Edit: I realize I can take the SFO-JFK-AUH flight. The JFK flight on the 380 isn't available, but the Jetairways flight is. Should I use this routing and hope the 380 flight opens up?

Thanks for your insight!

Last edited by hamburglar; Jun 2, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:54 am

If you want the best F experience go SFO-JFK-AUH. It will be on the A380 which offers their new First Apartments! Otherwise, go LAX. Avoid Jet flights at all costs. It's not Etihad at all. Jet plane, Jet crew, Jet service.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: CX - Gold, EY- Plat, HGP - Diamond, Accor - Plat, SPG - Gold, IHG - Plat Amb
Haven't really heard of any equipment swaps at EY barring the NY flights before the A380 takes over.

It may be a Jet Plane, Jet Crew (Cabin Manager in F is from EY, with the rest of the crew split depending on the day and the flight and a fair few of them being from EY), Jet Service, but its not all that bad. Seats maybe old and not as well maintained but are essentially the same (an inch or two wider even). Menu is by Etihad and so is the catering (that was my experience flying Jetihad 777 once from SFO to AUH and twice from AUH to DEL, all in the past 90 days).

OTOH, A380 is the way to go if you can position yourself (an experience in itself!!). Even the 787 from IAD would be amazing (i imagine). But b/w LAX and SFO, if SFO is clearly more convenient, then I dont see I point for you to travel out of your way to get on to Etihad metal.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've been on EY metal in F (AUH-JFK) and read many reviews about Jethiad as some call the 9W operated flights. I'd do the short hop down to LAX and take the flight there to get the real EY experience. As you can see from threads here, there are some administrative issues with EY(mileage credit etc) but in the air in the EY operated F cabin it's an incredible experience. Go with that for sure.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: Too Many to Count
Interestingly enough, and I didn't even know this was the case until I researched further, but it looks like one can fly EY metal from SFO - AUH on EY182.

It's only select days - you can see this on EY's website - but the "ETIHAD ON JET AIRWAYS CONFIGURED AIRCRAFT" message DOES NOT appear on, say, Sep 11. The message appears for flight on the weekdays preceding it, though.

Can anyone confirm that what I'm seeing is right?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
Interestingly enough, and I didn't even know this was the case until I researched further, but it looks like one can fly EY metal from SFO - AUH on EY182.

It's only select days - you can see this on EY's website - but the "ETIHAD ON JET AIRWAYS CONFIGURED AIRCRAFT" message DOES NOT appear on, say, Sep 11. The message appears for flight on the weekdays preceding it, though.

Can anyone confirm that what I'm seeing is right?
You're right. Starting 11/SEP, every other day AUH-SFO-AUH operated by 77L (same aircraft used for LAX route). But it ends on 23/NOV and starting 24/NOV it'll be back to Jet configured 77W again on daily basis.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Is the 77L on EY metal a better experience than 77W on Jet metal?
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Too Many to Count
Originally Posted by wripro
Is the 77L on EY metal a better experience than 77W on Jet metal?
Based upon what I've read, there is a big difference between the two, with EY hard and soft product coming on top in a big way.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Just flew AUH-SFO in F on the 9W config yesterday. I've never flown EY's F so I'm comparing from the standpoint of how it stacks up against other F products.

In short, I think the negativity toward the Jet product is way overblown. Here are some quick thoughts, I'll have a full trip report later on:

- the F suite was actually quite nice, on par with the SQ old F we took on the outbound, and I found it even more comfortable than the EK F suite
- the bed was really long, which may be an added benefit for taller folks
- amenity kit and pajamas are definitely of lower quality, but these get thrown into my hallway closet just like all the rest
- food was good, but definitely Indian-focused which won't work for everyone's palette
- service was fine, I received prompt attention every time I called, and dining service was actually very efficient and attentive. will not be a match for those that need a warm crew that will stop by to chat, recommend wines, etc.

At the end of the day, the AUH-SFO flight is long enough at 15+ hours (SFO-AUH would be slightly shorter). To add at least 3 hours to the trip with an LAX connection in order to take the standard EY F product just seems crazy to me.

But then again, there are a lot of crazies on FT
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by sfoactuary
Just flew AUH-SFO in F on the 9W config yesterday. I've never flown EY's F so I'm comparing from the standpoint of how it stacks up against other F products.

In short, I think the negativity toward the Jet product is way overblown. Here are some quick thoughts, I'll have a full trip report later on:

- the F suite was actually quite nice, on par with the SQ old F we took on the outbound, and I found it even more comfortable than the EK F suite
- the bed was really long, which may be an added benefit for taller folks
- amenity kit and pajamas are definitely of lower quality, but these get thrown into my hallway closet just like all the rest
- food was good, but definitely Indian-focused which won't work for everyone's palette
- service was fine, I received prompt attention every time I called, and dining service was actually very efficient and attentive. will not be a match for those that need a warm crew that will stop by to chat, recommend wines, etc.

At the end of the day, the AUH-SFO flight is long enough at 15+ hours (SFO-AUH would be slightly shorter). To add at least 3 hours to the trip with an LAX connection in order to take the standard EY F product just seems crazy to me.

But then again, there are a lot of crazies on FT
I did LAX-AUH in F about a month ago. At just over 16 hours, it is crazy long. But, since it leaves at ~5pm you can enjoy the meal and service and still get plenty of sleep, unlike those night flights from the east coast.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
Based upon what I've read, there is a big difference between the two, with EY hard and soft product coming on top in a big way.
I have flown both and think the differences are minor. The 9W flights do have food more oriented towards Indian, but I like Indian food.

The hard product is newer/nicer on the EY aircraft, but not by a lot.

I guess the question would be, would I fly to LAX to get EY metal over 9W metal? Maybe sometimes, maybe not other times. EY is better, but not to a great extent, at least IMHO.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 6:56 am

Can anyone confirm the EY SFO-AUH is operated by a Jet crew? (I got the impression from the Etihad website that it is wet lease, but crew is Etihad. 'The Points Guy' also says it is an Etihad crew on the JFK-AUH wet leased plane.)

Also, does the Jet configured SFO-AUH stop at JFK? (Post #1 implies some stop at JFK)

I am currently booked SFO-AUH on Jet configured (only thing available within a few days of my target in early December)

Thanks all.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by 110pgl

Also, does the Jet configured SFO-AUH stop at JFK? (Post #1 implies some stop at JFK)

Thanks all.
No, the SFO-AUH does NOT stop at JFK
Old Nov 1, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
How can I tell if the Etihad flight from India i've booked is a Jet or Etihad plane?
Old Nov 1, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by jubbing
How can I tell if the Etihad flight from India i've booked is a Jet or Etihad plane?
Go to the Etihad site and attempt to book an award flight. If it is Jet, it will say... ETIHAD ON JET AIRWAYS CONFIGURED AIRCRAFT

FWIW - A quick look on a random date did not show any of the three flights from AUH-DEL to be on a Jet plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.