Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol in AUH lounge in Ramadan

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Alcohol in AUH lounge in Ramadan

As Ramadan is just three weeks away, I know from previous flights that the AUH Premium Lounge does not serve alcohol between sunrise and sunset. If my memory is correct, it does serve alcohol from sunset to sunrise but I can't be 100% sure. Can anybody confirm this?
Old May 28, 2015, 3:16 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Originally Posted by sabdhabi
As Ramadan is just three weeks away, I know from previous flights that the AUH Premium Lounge does not serve alcohol between sunrise and sunset. If my memory is correct, it does serve alcohol from sunset to sunrise but I can't be 100% sure. Can anybody confirm this?
Dear guest,

Thank you for contacting us. Please bear with us to check this out with the lounge staff and we will update you soon.

Thank you. *JS
Old May 28, 2015, 3:21 am

Is alcohol served on flights during Ramadan?
Old May 28, 2015, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by dave31
Is alcohol served on flights during Ramadan?
Yes, most definitely. EY lounges in non-Islamic countries will offer and serve alcohol freely as usual during all hours of the day. I do enjoy a few copious gulps prior to boarding.
Old May 28, 2015, 4:21 am

Yes, most definitely. EY lounges in non-Islamic countries will offer and serve alcohol freely as usual during all hours of the day. I do enjoy a few copious gulps prior to boarding.
Hi there,

We have just confirmed that we will be serving alcohol from sunset to sunrise and no alcohol will be provided during daylight hours.

Please feel free to contact for any further queries and we hope you will have a nice flight! *JS
Old May 28, 2015, 11:09 am

Apparently your memory is correct, but it is quite curious.

It seems to me that alcohol might either not be served at all at any time based on the beliefs of the airline's home country, or it might be served at all times allowing passengers from all over the world to follow their individual beliefs. I wonder what interpretation allows EY lounges to serve alcohol at night during Ramadan, but not during the day. (I know food is forbidden to believers during the day, but why is alcohol forbidden to nonbelievers during the day while food is served?)

I really don't mean to start an off-topic discussion or argument; I am specifically curious about EY's logic for this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; May 28, 2015 at 11:33 am
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder how the lounge handles food offerings in daytime during Ramadan. Are guests asked to eat in a special room or curtained off area of the lounge? Alcohol policy could mirror how food is handled during this period.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder how the lounge handles food offerings in daytime during Ramadan. Are guests asked to eat in a special room or curtained off area of the lounge? Alcohol policy could mirror how food is handled during this period.
I have not made such an experience. The buffet had the normal spread and passenger could eat everywhere
Old May 28, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
Dear Etihad help...I'm arriving from BKK at 06-30 connecting to LHR at 08-30...what time is sunrise, and also being a gold card holder and having to use the al ream lounge in AUH, do the same rules apply there as well. I remember a few years ago, also during Ramadan, I asked for an alcoholic beverage during daylight hours and he calmly opened the cupboard under the bar and poured me one. Does this discrete practice still carry on ( I hope )
Old May 28, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: ey gold tg gold accor gold
If not I suppose you can open your own from duty free, or carry your own in small bottles
Old May 29, 2015, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by tommy123
Dear Etihad help...I'm arriving from BKK at 06-30 connecting to LHR at 08-30...what time is sunrise, and also being a gold card holder and having to use the al ream lounge in AUH, do the same rules apply there as well. I remember a few years ago, also during Ramadan, I asked for an alcoholic beverage during daylight hours and he calmly opened the cupboard under the bar and poured me one. Does this discrete practice still carry on ( I hope )
Dear Guest,

We have just double checked with our relevant team, as advised earlier. Al Reem lounge, Al Dhabi Lounge and the Premium Lounge will serve alcohol from sunset to sunrise.

Thank you. *JS
Old May 29, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by tommy123
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/united-arab-emirates/abu-dhabi

Sunrise is around 5.30am sunset around 7pm.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by h1ghfly3r
http://www.timeanddate.com/sun/united-arab-emirates/abu-dhabi

Sunrise is around 5.30am sunset around 7pm.
Dear Guest,

You can refer to the Sehr times and Iftar times during the Ramadan, and also the times vary from countries to countries.

Thank you. *JS
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:42 pm

Sitting in the EY Business Lounge in AUH right now.

Sign says: Alcoholic beverages will be available between 19:00 and 03:00. The buffet is open, though, and they serve coffee, water, soft drinks.

Super annoying that Muslim rites are imposed upon me, a non-Muslim (and I am not even sure that there is actually any consistent religious rule behind this).
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:45 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Sitting in the EY Business Lounge in AUH right now.

Sign says: Alcoholic beverages will be available between 19:00 and 03:00. The buffet is open, though, and they serve coffee, water, soft drinks.

Super annoying that Muslim rites are imposed upon me, a non-Muslim (and I am not even sure that there is actually any consistent religious rule behind this).
Well you can always vote with your feet and fly AA but we all know that hard and soft product are no comparison...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.