Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcohol in AUH lounge in Ramadan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2016, 7:53 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
That was the ORIGINAL intention of Ramadan. Right now, it's "we drive off at 6pm, totally pissed by low blood sugar, in our luxury SUV giving a damn about traffic laws, to a super buffet, where we stuff our faces at buffets easily costing 100$+ with food that poor people never could afford. Then we stuff ourselves again just before the sun rises. This is not just unhealthy, this is totally AGAINST the original idea of Ramadan.

Now, you can agree or not with me about the "not drinking water during the day" part. But apart from that, if you indeed used Ramadan as it was intended, you wouldn't actually gain weight (and losing a lot of muscles) during it (like in reality all those in the UAE do who "celebrate" it..)

If you actually just ate modest at sunset and at sunrise, your body would quickly get used to that, and after a few days, you would indeed feel better and not have those pains that the "twice a day stuff your face" people get..

If you want to celebrate Ramadan in true spirit, then do it. But don't eat huge buffets of luxury food that no poor man ever could afford.

As for me, I was talking about not drinking water in general (the lounge part aside) - not alcohol - during the day. I'm still missing the part where that would somehow help to be a better person..

But it's kinda silly if you serve alcohol during the (day) flight, and then upon landing at 5pm you're refused..
You do realise that you sound like a fundamentalist telling others how to 'correctly' practice their faith?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:29 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by m0hamed
You do realise that you sound like a fundamentalist telling others how to 'correctly' practice their faith?
Isn't "correct practice" entry level indoctrination rather than fundamentalist reading?

But I can relate to your sentiment, it isn't pleasant.

Now extrapolate that to something or someone trying to force you to implement their beliefs properly when those are not your beliefs and you arrive at a whole other level of oddity.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 10:35 am

What I think is being missed here by some, is that the ME3 Ramadan alcohol policy is influenced by their home city. DXB is in general more liberal then AUH, as result their home town airline's Ramadan policies reflect that. As pointed out by others here consumption of alcohol is not dictated by Ramadan as it is banned out right for Muslims in general. The ME3 airlines do get a lot of flack from some citizens of their home market for even allowing alcohol during Ramadan (or at all) and these policies are an attempt to stick a balance, which in the end leaving no one fully satisfied, but it is the best they can do. I think sometimes people who fly the ME3 forget they are flying thru an islamic nation with difference values then our own. If you cannot respect their values fly someone else.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
..I think sometimes people who fly the ME3 forget they are flying thru an islamic nation with difference values then our own. If you cannot respect their values fly someone else.
A large portion are well aware of this. I had colleagues and collaborators refusing itineraries because they included ME3 segments and they had strong objections against that.

Generally, I agree that one should respect local prevailing regulation and culture. This only gets difficult if the latter two do no longer align. If culture and law are somewhat in harmonised by a political process then yes, they can indeed be called values. If the edicts are handed down from above and through the ages, then they are just that.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Well you can always vote with your feet and fly AA but we all know that hard and soft product are no comparison...
Or fly EK. They serve Alchohol 24/7 in the DXB lounge during Ramadan. I guess the difference is ETIHAD is the UAE Flag carrier, EK is not. But OP has no business complaining that "Muslim" rules are forced on him. As they say, When in Rome...... Some airlines don't serve Alchohol at all, like Egypt Air. If alcohol is so important then don't fly Etihad over Ramadan. I found that comment about Muslim beliefs being pushed on him kind of ridiculous. Might as well complain you can't get pork bacon ever on Etihad
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Some airlines don't serve Alchohol at all, like Egypt Air.
Doesn't Egypt Air serve alcohol when you bring it / hand it over to them for the purpose of being served to you during the flight?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:55 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Doesn't Egypt Air serve alcohol when you bring it / hand it over to them for the purpose of being served to you during the flight?
Unofficially/occasionally. YMMV & all that
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
They've allowed some friends and myself to carry on and consume a 1L bottle of duty-free vodka, but we were told at check-in that it depends on the crew (and captain specifically) and asked on board before opening it. They were quite happy to bring us mixers.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:06 am

Yes, usually but then again we are talking about an airline that in this day and age still occasionally lets me sit in the cockpit on long flights so I can smoke
Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:24 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Yes, usually but then again we are talking about an airline that in this day and age still occasionally lets me sit in the cockpit on long flights so I can smoke
Why on earth would you do that even if they did allow it
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by NoY
I'd start smoking if it got me a first hand view of the flight deck.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
Cockpit jumpseat and a smoke ? Sign me up ! Just like the 80s

OT: AUH T1 lounges were definitely serving alcohol (after sunset) this week.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
Cuz I wanted a cigarette & the purser told me I was welcome to smoke in the cockpit that's not something I would do or even ask to do on any other airline but EGYPT airs been letting me do it for years (even into JFK which shocked me....but I still went

***before 9/11 as a F class passenger I was usually allowed to smoke in the cockpit on MH, CX & SQ (who had all just recently went non smoking so the thought of smoking on an airplane was not so strange. Even UA still allowed smoking on NRT flights up till 1997) but after 9/11 I hadn't been allowed ever again in the cockpit on those carriers (just MS). To the person who said it sounds like the 80's, no, more like even late 90's. BA used to let whichever Gold card holder that asked first sit in the cockpit on Concorde for take off & landing all the way till its last flights in 2000 or 2001. CX & MH were the easiest though, I was never turned down a jump seat for take off or landing until 9/11

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Jun 22, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:49 am
NoY

:roll eyes: Isn’t it against the law?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
:roll eyes: Isn’t it against the law?
No, not everywhere. Are you speaking about smoking or sitting in the cockpit? Before 9/11 the govt of the airline made the rules. The FAA didn't allow it so you would not see a passenger in a UA/AA/DL cockpit. But the UK's CAB did allow it (pilots discretion). A number of airlines allowed it and there was no law against it (that's changed for almost every country since 9/11

Same with smoking. It's not illegal to smoke on many carriers but it is illegal to tamper with a smoke detector or fail to follow flight attendant instructions. So if a flight attendant on say, SQ tells you it's ok to smoke somewhere, there is no LAW against it. It may be against company policy but you can't get arrested for that. I have NEVER EVER hid in a lav and had a cigarette but I will admit on some ultra long hauls I've asked the purser if I "could just have one". 9 out of 10 times the answer is no but 1 out of 10 I surprisingly get a yes. (Never on American carriers & only once on a European carrier) but sometimes on Asian or the ME3 they will find a place in the middle of the night to let me have a quick one...........it's not against the law on many carriers, just against the rules. But there is no rule that says you can't ask

It was no soooooo long ago that many airlines still had smoking sections. It went away on UA in 1997 but ANA, JAL, EK, and a few others had some smoking flights all the way thru 2000.

Last edited by chinatraderjmr; Jun 23, 2016 at 1:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.