Book awards on EY partner airlines

Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Etihad Plat, A3*G, HHonors DIA, GHA Plat
Hi there, wanting to book Australia - Europe oneway in Business and have a bunch of Etihad Miles to use.
Etihad itself charges 163k miles plus a few hundred USD on top, so I've been looking at partners.

American appeals to me because according to the rules, they allow oneways and stopovers at the same time, meaning I could sneak in a week in the US to visit some friends.

Now, South Pacific - Europe in Business is quoted 60k miles, but South Pacific - USA is 62.5k and USA - Europe is 50k...
Logically, I should be able to get the ticket for 60k, but knowing the game EY is playing, I should probably be prepared to spend 112.5k miles. That is a significant difference though.

Any experience on this kind of thing, when North America is only used for transit and not origin or destination? Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by A340_600
Hi there, wanting to book Australia - Europe oneway in Business and have a bunch of Etihad Miles to use.
Etihad itself charges 163k miles plus a few hundred USD on top, so I've been looking at partners.

American appeals to me because according to the rules, they allow oneways and stopovers at the same time, meaning I could sneak in a week in the US to visit some friends.

Now, South Pacific - Europe in Business is quoted 60k miles, but South Pacific - USA is 62.5k and USA - Europe is 50k...
Logically, I should be able to get the ticket for 60k, but knowing the game EY is playing, I should probably be prepared to spend 112.5k miles. That is a significant difference though.

Any experience on this kind of thing, when North America is only used for transit and not origin or destination? Thanks
Routing rules aside, your biggest issue would be to find "saver award" space on AA. Especially on these long routes: SYD-LAX, DFW/LAX-HKG.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:27 pm

Your plan would require at least 2 awards on AA as a partner. AA awards do not allow connecting via a 3d continent (except for several specified routes), and connect times are limited to 24 hours.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Your plan would require at least 2 awards on AA as a partner. AA awards do not allow connecting via a 3d continent (except for several specified routes), and connect times are limited to 24 hours.
You're referring to Aadvantage not Etihad Guest that permits all that on redemptions on AA flights.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by geclub1
Routing rules aside, your biggest issue would be to find "saver award" space on AA. Especially on these long routes: SYD-LAX, DFW/LAX-HKG.
Yes that would be the sticky point.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by geclub1
True, SYD LAX will be tough to get. I am very flexible though and wouldn't mind positioning to AKL in case I could secure a 60k AA Award via the states.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Is it possible to redeem on sn route that is not on the award chart? I am interested in the sn intra africa 5th freedom routes.
Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2017, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by pbd456
Is it possible to redeem on sn route that is not on the award chart? I am interested in the sn intra africa 5th freedom routes.
Thanks
Usually it isn't possible The callcenter agents seem to use the same award charts that we can see...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:35 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I want to fly WY in J from MCT to BLR. I know it's EY 18K miles but where can I search award space?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 9:25 pm
formerly Goflyer100

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion - Hilton Diamond
I already checked Sindbad but I cannot search for an award online. So the only possibility is Expertflyer?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
True, SYD LAX will be tough to get. I am very flexible though and wouldn't mind positioning to AKL in case I could secure a 60k AA Award via the states.
I would be very interested to know how you go with this as I have thought of doing the same thing. Availability is horrific though so I haven't spent any time on it yet.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Could anyone comment on Air Seychelles? I am trying to book a SEZ-MRU-SEZ ticket for next April - will the process the easy?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oneworld82
Could anyone comment on Air Seychelles? I am trying to book a SEZ-MRU-SEZ ticket for next April - will the process the easy?
Its not hard booking through EY. Just do the groundwork and see what dates have the seats open.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by oneworld82
I booked MRU-SEZ a few weeks back with ease. HM is one of the few carriers that EY agents can easily see availability (matches EF). Even got the lap infant ticket issued using 10% of mileage.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
How easy/realistic is it to book award travel on AA using EY miles via EY?

I have about 66K EY miles expiring in the first half of 2018, plus the opportunity to add a few thousand more with a Membership Rewards transfer if I needed to top it up.

Would like to book award travel on AA, probably as a straight RT or OW, like ATL-SCL-ATL or ATL-ANC-ATL or other possibilities.

I notice the award levels on the AA partner chart are still listed as lower than those for AA's own program (e.g. deep South America at 20K each way off peak, etc.) which makes it even more enticing.

OTOH, there's no online booking and you have to go through the call center , and I haven't been thrilled with what I've been hearing from them. Even in cases where I check AA's site and confirm AA saver award (i.e. lowest mileage level) availability on flights I want, so far EY still hasn't had the seat available. Apparently their buckets are even smaller than the saver-award one (maybe thimble-sized).

And so my question: Is this just unlucky, or am I wasting my time trying to get flights on AA using EY miles via EY? Have others here had much success?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.