Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Book awards on EY partner airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2016, 10:32 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by jlfriedman
Is Etihad strict on the booking 14 days out rule? Hoping to get last minute F availability on LAX-JFK...Thanks!
Very strict. It seems to be coded in their system.

In one of my case, the agent made the reservation and created tickets (which I can see e ticket number on AA site) and then told me that his system told him that bookings within 14 days are not allowed. He then voided the e ticket. Upon next refresh, e ticket no longer shows at AA.

Please give it a try and let us know. You may get lucky.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:13 am

Programs: Etihad Plat, A3*G, HHonors DIA, GHA Plat
Tried to book SYD-NAN on VA through Manchester Callcenter yesterday.

Availability was found by the agent instantly, however she said because it would be operated for "V A A S I A" it would be a codeshare flight and not available to redeem miles on...
I told her that first of all it is VA Asia and second it states Virgin Australia FOR VA Asia and third, that those two are actually the same anyways and there is no difference, it even is the same flightnumber.
She seemed a little confused but after speaking to the supervisor it was fine...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: EY Gold, GF Gold, IHG Plat, UA Gold
Just got off the phone with Etihad Guest and AAdvantage.

Flying from LAX-YHZ. 3 legs in total, I supplied a 3 week window in June. Availability looked good on the seat maps on AA, which as I now know means utterly nothing.

To book in BIZ, EY agent told me the class must be U class on AA only. She said to call AA to find the U flights and call back to EY. I called AA.

U was available on the last leg from PHL-YHZ on most dates.
Flying east from SFO or LAX to PHL, no U on any direct flight or for any city. We tried RDU, MCO, MIA, PHX, DEN, ORD, IAD, WAS, DFW and no availability on one date of the literally hundreds of flights.

The AA agent said seats get released from time to time and no one knows the (algorithm).

My 45k Etihad miles expire on April 30th.

Complete fail.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by rascally14
Just got off the phone with Etihad Guest and AAdvantage.

Flying from LAX-YHZ. 3 legs in total, I supplied a 3 week window in June. Availability looked good on the seat maps on AA, which as I now know means utterly nothing.

To book in BIZ, EY agent told me the class must be U class on AA only. She said to call AA to find the U flights and call back to EY. I called AA.

U was available on the last leg from PHL-YHZ on most dates.
Flying east from SFO or LAX to PHL, no U on any direct flight or for any city. We tried RDU, MCO, MIA, PHX, DEN, ORD, IAD, WAS, DFW and no availability on one date of the literally hundreds of flights.

The AA agent said seats get released from time to time and no one knows the (algorithm).

My 45k Etihad miles expire on April 30th.

Complete fail.
This one is easy. AA domestic awards are coded Z (First) and legs between the US and Canada are coded U (Business) - thus you will never see U awards domestically except on some 3-cabin legs.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:35 am

Just booked BKK-MCT business class on Oman Air. Called the US number, not sure what call center I ended up in but the entire conversation and transaction was very smooth and much easier than I expected reading some of the other reports. 34K miles + $155USD and all in ~15 minutes.
Old May 1, 2016, 5:45 pm

I want to make sure I can book flights from REP-BKK and BKK-MLE on Bangkok Airways before I transfer my AMEX points to Etihad. Will EY let me place flights on hold or at least let me know availability prior to making the transfer?

For those who have successfully redeemed for Bangkok Airways, were you able to do so via US call center, or did you call UK?
Old May 2, 2016, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I continue to have decent luck getting AA seats with Etihad Guest -- which has once again become quite lucrative because of the AMEX Membership Rewards 30% bonus and because some AA awards are significantly cheaper when booked with Etihad miles instead of AAdvantage miles.

Some Etihad phone agents are clueless, but the percentage seems no higher than at other airlines. When something doesn't work and it should, Hang Up and Call Again.

One relatively small problem I keep having is with taxes. Etihad always seems to charge more in taxes on AA award tickets than AA does. I even made a dummy booking on AA.com (on the last page before paying, AA will give you the tax breakdown) in hopes that I could explain the correct taxes and get Etihad to only make me pay the taxes that are actually due. No dice -- this has been a nuance too far, and I just give up and pay the extra taxes. Does anyone have a solution? It could have saved me US$70 today on a couple tickets if I could have gotten the taxes "right." Etihad claims they add no surcharges.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I want to make sure I can book flights from REP-BKK and BKK-MLE on Bangkok Airways before I transfer my AMEX points to Etihad. Will EY let me place flights on hold or at least let me know availability prior to making the transfer?

For those who have successfully redeemed for Bangkok Airways, were you able to do so via US call center, or did you call UK?
You can call ahead to check the availability but there are no official holds AFAIK. They can make a dummy bookings though. If you explain your situation, they may bulge, so you get the seats and call back to pay the taxes and have the miles deducted. I have never tried this you may be lucky if you get a competent agent.

All their phone lines are routed to either Abu Dhab or Manchester call centers, so it doesn't matter where you call.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by mlqsko
You can call ahead to check the availability but there are no official holds AFAIK. They can make a dummy bookings though. If you explain your situation, they may bulge, so you get the seats and call back to pay the taxes and have the miles deducted. I have never tried this you may be lucky if you get a competent agent.

All their phone lines are routed to either Abu Dhab or Manchester call centers, so it doesn't matter where you call.
Also if there is availability you can probably just transfer from Amex while on the phone. My transfer was instant.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by greendx
Also if there is availability you can probably just transfer from Amex while on the phone. My transfer was instant.
I have no idea how long does it take for the Amex transfers as I am not a cardholder.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:22 pm

So it seems this is a common problem, but I've HUCA 3x trying to book an award on a domestic (US) AA flight. AA shows MileSAAver availability with like 20 different flight pair options (as does Qantas) but EY agents say nothing is available at all. Does EY only have access to a subset of MileSAAver/OneWorld partner awards or is it just difficult to find an agent who knows how to search availability?
Old May 4, 2016, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by bodiddely
So it seems this is a common problem, but I've HUCA 3x trying to book an award on a domestic (US) AA flight. AA shows MileSAAver availability with like 20 different flight pair options (as does Qantas) but EY agents say nothing is available at all. Does EY only have access to a subset of MileSAAver/OneWorld partner awards or is it just difficult to find an agent who knows how to search availability?
It is difficult to find a competent agent. I've been able to book AA flight operated by Republic for American Eagle (!) in less than 15 minutes total. Imagine that.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlqsko
It is difficult to find a competent agent. I've been able to book AA flight operated by Republic for American Eagle (!) in less than 15 minutes total. Imagine that.
I'm curious about this, too. A couple months ago, a Manchester agent had no difficulty find the AA inventory I was pulling up on AA's own website.

This week, I seemed to get an Abu Dhabi agent who had no problem finding my outbound flight, but couldn't find my return -- even after I pressed him a bit. I HUCA'd, and the next Abu Dhabi agent found it immediately. Hard to explain.
Old May 4, 2016, 10:41 pm

And while we are at it... has anyone booked MH?
Old May 6, 2016, 6:43 am

Programs: All of Them
I put up a ton of data today on TPG.com showing what partners I could book and the taxes and fees required

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.