Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption on SN

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
This was definitely a great sweetspot but given the cheap economy fares to Europe lately, it wasnt really that amazing (unless you were super flexible!) I had booked JFK-BRU then BRU-CDG but cancelled it and snagged a JFK-CDG direct RT for $400 on AA. Used citi prestige typ = 25000 typ at 0.016 which was comparable to their 22000 miles (which i did transfer from typ as well). I am just lucky I was able to use my stranded etihad miles (from the cancellation) on other flights on air seychelles and bangkok airways (and getting 3+ cpp value out of it!)
The 'amazing' part mostly applied to business class redemptions and perhaps mid-summer awards. Rest of the year it was good, but not incredibly good considering the cheap economy fares you had pointed out.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Has anybody had success flying "standby" with SN from Brussels within Europe for an earlier flight on an Etihad award redemption for a flight confirmed later in the day? If so, did it seem to be standard practice or an exception made by a SN gate agent? Any fee charged?
I'm bumping this question. Anyone have experience trying to do this?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
Originally Posted by snic
I'm bumping this question. Anyone have experience trying to do this?
SN being a sloppy airline, I somehow doubt it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by luv2fly4free
Has anybody had success flying "standby" with SN from Brussels within Europe for an earlier flight on an Etihad award redemption for a flight confirmed later in the day? If so, did it seem to be standard practice or an exception made by a SN gate agent? Any fee charged?
I recently did this and it worked fine. It was a business class intra-europe award using Etihad miles. The caveat is that there was a 1 day ground staff strike that day, so it could be that SN was making exceptions to policy. However, as I understand it, I actually checked in before the strike started, so I don't think the strike could have affected anything.

Originally Posted by snic
Let's say you book a round trip. You fly the outbound, and then call up Etihad and say you are not going to fly the return. Would they then cancel the return flight and refund the taxes you paid for it?
This also works swimmingly well. The agent even said that some of my miles would be refunded (which I don't believe will happen, but we'll see). But the taxes were refunded fairly promptly.

Now, if only there were still reasonable availability of SN transatlantic awards bookable with Etihad miles...
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Try as I might, I could not talk Etihad into cancelling the front half of a roundtrip, or even splitting the reservation into two etickets (so that the 2nd wouldn't be cxl'd upon no-show). HUCA x3 to various call centers.

On the bright side, they seem to have refunded me based on the current award chart, not based on the # of miles I actually paid at the time.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Richard Berg
On the bright side, they seem to have refunded me based on the current award chart, not based on the # of miles I actually paid at the time.
Update: the refunded miles posted. No free lunch -- the # I got back is merely what I paid, not the new (much higher) price that appeared as a negative amount on my cancellation receipt.

Still a silver lining though: they didn't backdate my expiration date. At least according to the website + CSRs, the miles now behave more like AA/UA, where any activity is enough to push the date forward on your whole balance, rather than tracking "lots" separately like before.

Despite the huge devaluation, there's still value to be mined here. I booked another ticket just yesterday.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:59 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver
Update: the refunded miles posted. No free lunch -- the # I got back is merely what I paid, not the new (much higher) price that appeared as a negative amount on my cancellation receipt.

Still a silver lining though: they didn't backdate my expiration date. At least according to the website + CSRs, the miles now behave more like AA/UA, where any activity is enough to push the date forward on your whole balance, rather than tracking "lots" separately like before.

Despite the huge devaluation, there's still value to be mined here. I booked another ticket just yesterday.
Woahh... Are you saying they unofficially changed the expiration policy of their miles??
Old Sep 23, 2017, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nli007
Woahh... Are you saying they unofficially changed the expiration policy of their miles??
I would double and triple check that.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:05 am

Correction: the refund was somewhere in between the old & new charts.

19/11/2016 Flight Reward JFK-BRU//DUCLSM -73240
12/09/2017 Positive adjustment - Etihad Guest programme 73240

You may recognize 73K as the cost of TWO roundtrip tix under the old award chart. I only cancelled one ticket. Yes, I've confirmed that the other ticket is still valid on the SN website.

If they had done the refund sensibly, I would've gotten a 32958 mile credit. (36620 minus 10% penalty)

If they had been applying the new award chart, it would've been 79200 miles (88K minus 10%).

This looks like a plain old f-up.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I would double and triple check that.
I've asked two CSRs so far to confirm the earliest date any miles will start to expire. Both said Aug 31, 2018. Would be Oct 31, 2017 according to the official T&C (end of 12th month after last year's 20% xfer bonus promotion).
onlysuites likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
The 'amazing' part mostly applied to business class redemptions and perhaps mid-summer awards. Rest of the year it was good, but not incredibly good considering the cheap economy fares you had pointed out.
I could use some help on trying to book NCE-CMN-FEZ on Air Maroc using Etihad Guest miles. Is it priced by segment? If so, anyone know how much in each segment for business class?

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 20, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Post removed.

Last edited by NoDestinations; Dec 26, 2017 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:03 pm

Wow, and I here thought I was greedy just taking an underpriced YMMV deal at face value. No wonder it got nerfed.

Glad it worked out for you.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
With customers like these, who needs competitors?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
Thanks for the feedback guys, post removed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.