Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Flying A380 F Apartment next week, any questions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 3:29 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hi All-

It's been great reading a lot of the threads on this board in preparation for my A380 trip in a week. Thank you all.

Just wanted to ask in advance if anyone had any particular questions about the A380/Apartment/F that I can look out for whilst onboard?

Best,

Acrbag
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Can you tell us if Seats 1A/1C (The Residence) were occupied during your flight?

Also, let us know if the crew would let you take a look at The Residence if it is unoccupied during the flight.

Please post a copy of the menu.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:11 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Whether it would make more sense as a couple to hook the same row or connecting apartments?

Who they provide a car for at AUH if at a remote stand?

How busy the F/J lounge is and whether there's priority for F pax?

Last edited by m0hamed; Apr 5, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Well...a couple of these are not just about the A380. But any info you can provide would be appreciated:

1. Best couple of apartments for a couple.
2. Treatment in AUH. I've read it's pretty mediocre for even F passengers in transit and the lounge.
3. Possible for a couple to sit together in same apartment and what movie together? I'd ithink it's roomy enough, but imagine it can't be done because only one headphone jack to use. But am still curious to know for sure.
4. If you're on a late night flight, whether you get the full meal service.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:15 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
3. Possible for a couple to sit together in same apartment and what movie together? I'd ithink it's roomy enough, but imagine it can't be done because only one headphone jack to use. But am still curious to know for sure.

Have a great trip!
Buy a headphone splitter?

Long late night flights get full service, well the late SYD departures do.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:53 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Buy a headphone splitter?

Long late night flights get full service, well the late SYD departures do.
+1 on the splitter. It it a must have in any hand luggage.

As for the meals. Well, they have dine anytime (dine at your leisure), haven't they? You could demand it from the in-flight chef at any time. That's why you're in F and not in Y
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
I'd love to know more about the lobby/bar. Is it a walk-up self-service, or is everything behind closed clear cabinets, and do you have to find crew to pour a drink? Enjoy your flight! Should be a lovely experience.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:53 am

Just FYI... Here's a complete and through review which will answer petty much all of your questions in advance of OPs flight

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...abi-to-london/
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:14 am

I flew the 380 First Apartments in February on the AUH - LHR sector so can give answers to some of the points raised, anything else just ask:

Best apartments for travelling couples, 3A/4A and 3K/4K. We travelled in 3A/4A. These apartments are the two on either side which can be joined by virtue of lowering the central divider. Given that the seats are situated by the wondow there is quite some distance between apartments across the aisle so the adjoining apartments are the best bet.

We dined together in one apatment during the flight.

Two cannot watch a movie together in one apartment as the screen is positioned in front of the seat however there is ample room for two or even five to sit together on the sofa/ottoman in one apartment.

The screen does come out 90 degrees so you can watch whilst lying in bed.

The food menu is the same as served across the fleets in First, the A380 menu is no different to the others.

F does not take priority over J in the onboard lounge. Drinks are available for self service however there was always a member of cabin crew on hand whenever anyone went into the lounge to serve drinks. Given that our flight was an 02:30 departure most people were simply having a look in the lounge at the product as opposed to using it. Given the huge availability of space in the apartment I would think the majority of passengers in F will elect to stay in their apartment and be served drinks there.

The hard product is simply unrivaled in the market, it is leaps and bounds above anyone else in my opinion and onboard service was fantastic.

You cannot take a look in the Residence if it is not occupied.

Images from my flight can be seen at:

http://www.airteamimages.com/lightbox4024.html
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:03 pm

Those are lovely pictures, EY11! Thanks for sharing. I only wish there were more! I'm flying r/t LHR-AUH-SYD in December and have the LHR-AUH/AUH-LHR legs in the A380 First Apartment and, currently, the AUH-SYD-AUH legs in the A380 Business Studio. Did you happen to have a peek beyond the lobby to see how the business seat looked, in person? I wouldn't blame you if you hadn't - why leave that First Apartment!? Looks amazing.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
Can I come with you?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks to all for the specific answers to my questions and for the more general info and links for the Apartment experience.

Acrbag, again, have a wonderful trip! Will look forward to your own impressions.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Hi All-

I'm in Dubai safe and sound after an incredible flight in the A380 Apartment! I'll try and answer as best I can below, along with some thoughts on the flight.

Originally Posted by daniellam
Can you tell us if Seats 1A/1C (The Residence) were occupied during your flight?

Also, let us know if the crew would let you take a look at The Residence if it is unoccupied during the flight.

Please post a copy of the menu.
The Residence was unoccupied. I didn't actually ask to look into it, though the doors were slightly ajar. Didn't look that much nicer than regular apartment.

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Whether it would make more sense as a couple to hook the same row or connecting apartments?

Who they provide a car for at AUH if at a remote stand?

How busy the F/J lounge is and whether there's priority for F pax?
I can only answer the first question here as I flew LHR-AUH and we did not land at a remote stand (I don't think the A380 does). Definitely the connecting apartment for couples as the privacy divider comes down. If you were across the aisle you would quite literally be at opposite sides of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Well...a couple of these are not just about the A380. But any info you can provide would be appreciated:

1. Best couple of apartments for a couple.
2. Treatment in AUH. I've read it's pretty mediocre for even F passengers in transit and the lounge.
4. If you're on a late night flight, whether you get the full meal service.

Have a great trip!
1. Rows 3 and 4! Either the A combination or the K combination. Both are connecting (have a privacy divider that comes down), and have three windows.

2. Left from London. Had treatment there however that was decent.

3. Hmmm, due to the TV placement it would be difficult!. BUT I saw as one of the TV options the ability to "share screen". So you can your other half can watch the same film at the same time. I didn't actually try this out so can't clarify if this works. If you have the beds made up together and privacy barrier down you will be side-by-side.

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
I'd love to know more about the lobby/bar. Is it a walk-up self-service, or is everything behind closed clear cabinets, and do you have to find crew to pour a drink? Enjoy your flight! Should be a lovely experience.

Lobby/Bar ... It's a weird concept. It was pretty much unused during our flight except for me and a fellow FT reader I ran into. Crew came by to offer drinks, since the galley is right there, you don't normally have to wait for more than a few seconds for a crew member to go by.

-----------------------------

Other thoughts!

- Apartment is incredibly spacious! Even with the beds made, still room to walk around. Easily seats 4, though only has seatbelt for three.

- Plenty of storage. The vanity is a neat idea. Easy to leave something behind.

- Full load of 9/9 in First, though residence was unoccupied. Family of four, who were quite loud. Not that bothersome as a daytime flight

- Crew were great. Perhaps not on the level of SQ or JAL, but better than their European counterparts. All seemed proud of the product and happy to chat.

-Inflight Entertainment was extensive.

- Was blown away by food options on a sub 7-hour flight! Seriously incredible. Quality was so-so, but having the chef specials and being willing to mix and match was pretty cool.

-Had a shower 2-hours prior to landing. Awesome experience! Though to be fair I didn't really need the shower, but had to do it . 5 minutes of water (plenty of time as you can stop and start it), 20 minutes in the room. Bathroom is a bit small however, so you do have to do some creative maneuvering. Still you are on an airplane. Nice amenities.

Any other questions you have I'm happy to answer!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:37 am

Sounds lovely!! Glad you had a great trip! By chance did you note the champagne being offered in First?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire
Sounds lovely!! Glad you had a great trip! By chance did you note the champagne being offered in First?
I'll try and post the full menus later, but their were two champagne options:

"Bollinger La Grande Annee 2005" and "Duval Leroy Rose"

Now on my continuing flight to Shanghai tonight, in coach! Oh the horrors

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.