Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is the A380 Residence Selling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by gojko88
IMHO, the Residence is aimed towards those passengers who simply don't care. They want the best and they don't ask the price. There are enough folks in the UAE who earn that premium every 15 minutes.
But the Residence is aimed at a narrow segment of the market who have 1. enough money not to care about the premium, but 2. don't own or are not willing to charter a larger private jet which is equal or better in comfort. If money truly wasn't an issue, there's nothing about the Residence which you cannot equal or better in a properly kitted out BBJ.

If they were earning that premium every 15 minutes, they would presumably be in the market for owning or chartering BBJs, rather than "travelling with the masses".
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:00 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
And all of this conjecture neglects that Emiratis are most likely to book it, especially those connected to the airline.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:42 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by stargold
I think part of the problem is that the Apartments are really just so good.
I honesty see them in future A380's not having the Residence, and putting in 2-4 more Apartments. It wouldn't be a bad idea mind you - since they always sell out, and keep the Residence exclusive to certain routes.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by jubbing
I honesty see them in future A380's not having the Residence, and putting in 2-4 more Apartments. It wouldn't be a bad idea mind you - since they always sell out, and keep the Residence exclusive to certain routes.
Given the narrowing fuselage and the lack of windows at the front, removing the Residence will only likely allow them to install one more Apartment and an extra bathroom or two, in a mirror image to Apartment 1H.

I guess the absolute and categorical refusal to allow upgrades might change in the longer term if it is consistently underutilised - but perhaps at a cost of something like one million EY miles for two people
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:16 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by jubbing
I take it you've never been on an EY A380 on the upper deck or understand the A380 floorplan/space at all?

The Residence loungeroom could be changed to one Apartment, but the bedroom/bathroom in the forward space cannot have seating installed. Not sure where you think they could put another 1-3 Apartments?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
IMHO, the Residence is being used to market the Apartments and I am getting sucked into it.

Let's just say that one of the reasons why I am considering flying Etihad in their First Apartments on a paid ticket is because of the Residence. I am hoping to maybe get a glimpse of it (even for a few seconds while walking by and looking over the divider) while on my way to/from the front lavatory.

Had Etihad not have The Residence on the A380, I might not have considered buying a ticket in their Apartments.Their Apartments would simply just be a "slightly bigger" first class suite with a slightly different design/configuration than the rest of the carriers.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by daniellam
I am hoping to maybe get a glimpse of it (even for a few seconds while walking by and looking over the divider) while on my way to/from the front lavatory.
Is there a divider?

I understood it was completely enclosed by full height walls. Once you're in the door there is complete privacy.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:14 am

Had Etihad not have The Residence on the A380, I might not have considered buying a ticket in their Apartments.Their Apartments would simply just be a "slightly bigger" first class suite with a slightly different design/configuration than the rest of the carriers.
With all due respect, perhaps you should actually fly the Apartments first.
Originally Posted by ft101
Is there a divider?

I understood it was completely enclosed by full height walls. Once you're in the door there is complete privacy.
The divider wall is still low enough to tiptoe and peek over the top, if you're reasonably tall. The bathroom and bedroom, however, are behind doors which completely block the view.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Is there a divider?

The divider between the Residence living room and apartment 2C is higher than the dividers between other apartments, but is not floor to ceiling.

The Residence sliding doors are the same height as Apartment doors. It is only totally private away from the living room, i.e beyond the full length door are the bathroom and bedroom, which is not visible to anyone if you close the full length door.

The living room itself is not totally private.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Let's just say that one of the reasons why I am considering flying Etihad in their First Apartments on a paid ticket is because of the Residence. I am hoping to maybe get a glimpse of it (even for a few seconds while walking by and looking over the divider) while on my way to/from the front lavatory.
You do know several people have already reported that they have been denied a glimpse into the (empty) residence, right?
Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by Madone59
You do know several people have already reported that they have been denied a glimpse into the (empty) residence, right?
I think the ones denied were those who actually asked to go inside to take a look. They can't really stop you if you were on your way to the lavatory and just tiptoed to take a quick glimpse into the living room while on the way.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I think the ones denied were those who actually asked to go inside to take a look. They can't really stop you if you were on your way to the lavatory and just tiptoed to take a quick glimpse into the living room while on the way.
Please report back on how that goes. I do wish you luck.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:00 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Quick check on etihad.com (LHR-AUH):

- tomorrow (3 Aug) - Residence is available on both EY12 & EY18 (i.e. all A380-operated flights)
- 4 Aug - no A380 operating
- 5 Aug - Residence available on both EY12 & EY20 (i.e. all A380-operated flights)

Looks like 0% load factor for the next 3 days...
Old Aug 2, 2015, 8:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by TPJ
Quick check on etihad.com (LHR-AUH):

- tomorrow (3 Aug) - Residence is available on both EY12 & EY18 (i.e. all A380-operated flights)
- 4 Aug - no A380 operating
- 5 Aug - Residence available on both EY12 & EY20 (i.e. all A380-operated flights)

Looks like 0% load factor for the next 3 days...
Honestly I'll be surprised if they ever have more than 10% loads unless it's a new route that will start (Like I do expect the AUH-JFK to have a few flyers using it at the start).
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Residence was occupied for two of my three recent EY A380 flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.