Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Has anyone done SFO to Abu Dhabi on Etihad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone done SFO to Abu Dhabi on Etihad?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Talking Has anyone done SFO to Abu Dhabi on Etihad?

Has anyone done SFO to Abu Dhabi on Etiad? Just wondering how was the 16 hour flight.

Also, I have economy class and wondering how are the seats?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:29 am
Community Director Emerita

Etihad only begin flying SFO-AUH a few days ago. Many of us have flown LAX-AUH or AUH-LAX. I don't think the experience would differ.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Etihad only begin flying SFO-AUH a few days ago. Many of us have flown LAX-AUH or AUH-LAX. I don't think the experience would differ.
That makes sense. Is it the same plane for LAX-AUH? I know they are using Jet airways for the SFO route.

I still can't decide what's better for a 16 hour flight - a window or aisle, any recs?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:31 am

For ULH flights, always an aisle in mid section towards the back of plane. If you are lucky you can have an entire row of 4 seats for yourself, if plane is not full.

Do not chose a window if you need to frequently urinate. Bad for your bladder!
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kshastry
For ULH flights, always an aisle in mid section towards the back of plane. If you are lucky you can have an entire row of 4 seats for yourself, if plane is not full.

Do not chose a window if you need to frequently urinate. Bad for your bladder!
Awesome. Thank you for the pro tip. I have a window right now because I was thinking that I would like to pass out but you're right on the 16 hour flight the bladder issues may be high priority as well.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Spoke with Etihad today and they said for $120 they can upgrade my seat to row 50 or row 30 which have extra room. Is this worth it?

Last edited by bholaladka; Nov 26, 2014 at 1:37 am
Old Nov 26, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by bholaladka
Spoke with Etihad today and they said for $120 they can upgrade my seat to row 50 or row 30 which have extra room. Is this worth it?
Only you can answer this. How tall are you? Is leg-room an issue with the standard rows? If not then it may not be worth it, if you are 6' 6" tall then it could be money well spent.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: DL-SM Silver, EY-Gold, HH
Originally Posted by bholaladka
Might we worth exploring exactly what kind of extra room? Leg room, or more room on the side - some of the seats towards the very end have more room on the side as the body narrows and there is not enough space to have the regular number of seats. This leads to more space on the side towards the window, and also a bit on the side by the aisle, but not necessarily more leg space.

May be worth checking on SeatGuru.com…
Old Nov 28, 2014, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by whimike
Only you can answer this. How tall are you? Is leg-room an issue with the standard rows? If not then it may not be worth it, if you are 6' 6" tall then it could be money well spent.
That's a good point!

Originally Posted by svs-dhm
Might we worth exploring exactly what kind of extra room? Leg room, or more room on the side - some of the seats towards the very end have more room on the side as the body narrows and there is not enough space to have the regular number of seats. This leads to more space on the side towards the window, and also a bit on the side by the aisle, but not necessarily more leg space.

May be worth checking on SeatGuru.com…
These are seats in row 30 and 50 as per the plane used for this flight: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Jet..._777-300ER.php

I'm going to stick with my window seat in early 30s for now. I think I can lean against the window and sleep better than aisle. Thank you for all the replies!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
One potentially useful point is that at the moment these planes are flying very very light loads. AUH-SFO today only had ~50 in Y, ~10 in J, and ~2 in F. You might not need to be all the way in the back to get a row to yourself. It's worth asking on check-in to see if moving somewhere without a neighbor would be possible.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:26 pm

I flew economy SFO-AUH and it was horrible. Window was dirty from someone sleeping on it (oils from hair?), tray table was disgusting, as there was quite a bit of food residue on it.

I understand the flight was delayed over 7 hours and they rushed to get it out, but come on.. Upgrading to J on the way back.
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
One potentially useful point is that at the moment these planes are flying very very light loads. AUH-SFO today only had ~50 in Y, ~10 in J, and ~2 in F. You might not need to be all the way in the back to get a row to yourself. It's worth asking on check-in to see if moving somewhere without a neighbor would be possible.
Great tip! I'll be checking the availability like a hawk and changing my seat to the back if necessary. I wonder if the back seats have less room compared to the front ones. Seat guru rates them all the same legroom.

Originally Posted by Gino Troian
I flew economy SFO-AUH and it was horrible. Window was dirty from someone sleeping on it (oils from hair?), tray table was disgusting, as there was quite a bit of food residue on it.

I understand the flight was delayed over 7 hours and they rushed to get it out, but come on.. Upgrading to J on the way back.
Sorry to hear about the experience you - I am really hoping not for the same...
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
I flew this a couple days ago and it was almost completely full in Y/J -- I think there were three open seats in J, and barely any in Y (I took a walk around the plane at one point to stretch my legs). No idea about F. Might just be a holiday-time thing though (that, and the cheapest SFO-India fares have been on Etihad...)
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: CarlsonGold,HHDiamond, SPGGold,ChoiceGold, *Silver, WNCompanionPass, ASMVPGold, HyattDiamond,IHGPlat
For those that paid for these seats - what airline did you accrue miles with, considering it doesn't accrue American
Old Dec 25, 2014, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Originally Posted by Journey4Happy
For those that paid for these seats - what airline did you accrue miles with, considering it doesn't accrue American
Bump, since we scored the Christmas Day sale and are deciding between crediting to Etihad and a family account, or Air Berlin.... that is if the miles (ex-ORD) positively will not credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.