Wiki Posts
Search

Is getting gold status back worthly?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Is getting gold status back worthly?

I wonder with the diminishing FF value....

I had gold with EY for 3 years, lost that status for 2014 because I got angry with EY on a overweight baggage issue(coldly canceleld a trip), still flew them BKK-BRU 2x 2014 because they are the best in J on that route.
I need one more BKK-BRU in J before end April 2015 to get 50K miles and gold status back but their fares on this route are not the best.

Saw a QR promotion around 2k euro a few weeks back, flying their B787 to BRU in biz looks good, don't like the 2-2-2 in their B773 though.
QR often publishes good promotions, I might book on the next occasion.
No chauffeur service (which I only use at BRU end) and really missing the extra 10 or 15kg luggage allowance.

Not keen flying EK because biz config B777 2-2-2.
Flying to AMS is tempting: EK on A380 all the way price around 2k euro and EY has even better price on one single day in March, but requires a night stop over in BKK on the way back loosing the price advantage.

The more I think this over, the less inclined I feel to stay loyal to EY.
Flying biz gets you most of the advantages anyway.
I did like the new biz lounge at AUH early October but at last Doha HIA is open, I might be tempted to return to QR since they offer regular promotions.

Any comments welcome.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald/GHA Discovery Black
The only tangible benefit I have found as EY gold in the past year was access to the wonderful lounge at LHR T4 when flying Y (which is also accessible as EY silver). I got my EY gold status through status match and certainly wouldn't pay good money to "chase" status with EY. However, I am a great fan of QR and the new airport at DOH. Personally, I like the QR 777 in J (and Y) if you select a centre seat - direct aisle access with nobody climbing over you, wide comfortable bed and plenty of storage. The real bonus, however, is all the tier points it earns to maintain my BA gold status. When departing from the UAE (which I do), QR is much more competitive than the likes of EY and EK in terms of price.

I fully concur regarding EK J on the 777 and I think you'll find the layout 2-3-2!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, Qatar Gold, flying Blue, Falcon, Lufthansa, Eva
There are two questions you need to ask yourself, Are you going to continue to fly with Etihad and are the extra benefits of Gold worth anything to you. For me getting gold was not of any benefit but Gold Elite with the First Class lounge in Abu Dhabi when I have a long stop over would be of value to me.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:46 am

Programs: DL-SM Silver, EY-Gold, HH
One other point to consider further, as noted in your first line, is the relative value (redemption levels) for EY versus others.

Ever since they changed to the current redemption structure, based on city-pair distance as opposed to regions/zones, about three odd years ago, it seems that the shorter distance awards are better value. Case in point is AUH-DOH roundtrip is 9k miles in economy, undeniably a good deal. AUH-CDG is about 60k miles, which was previously about 40k miles, an inflation of 50%! Most other airlines will require 80-90k miles for Middle East to North America awards, EY now requires 125k to NYC!!!

All the biz awards are at a premium of 40% to the coach level.

How does this compare to the other airlines you're considering? Of course the value/benefit will differ if you primarily use miles to upgrade.

Just some food for thought...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
Thanks for the replies so far.
In fact I need to decide what's best for me, and that is to find the best deal flying the best business class, regardless of status (which has been watering down in this decennia).

I made the wrong decision flying BKK-BRU-YUL this September (should have flown 9W BKK-BRU-YYZ-YUL in J, in stead of the complicated routing I choose with EY and SR.
I upgraded one EY segment with miles and did a bid and paid 500 euro to upgrade an other segment and took the best Y deal BRU-YUL via ZRH. Finally not worth all the effort to keep tier miles with EY.

The best deal sofar for my next trip is BKK-AMS with EY at 1800 euro, but it is too early to book, waiting for January and watch QR and EY promotions to BRU, if any comes around 2000 euro I will book. Thai never comes that close price wise. The new Doha airport is a plus for QR now.

Even if I fly next trip with EY I will have gold status back, but no benefits then until I fly EY again a second time in 2015, bof as we say in Belgium...

Edit: just noticed QR is flying an A380 DOH-BKK as of January 2015, puts them even more back on the map.

Last edited by tartempion; Oct 24, 2014 at 6:46 pm
Old Oct 26, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: EY Gold - CX Silver
I would say that when you fly J as single passenger, gold status gives you no extra benefits besides maybe some extra luggage allowance. It certainly doesn't represent the value of the fare differences between J promotions and an EY J ticket at normal price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.