Wiki Posts
Search

Etihad guest miles expiry

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

There was recent debate on another forum regarding the expiry of etihadguest miles.

It was concluded that they expire two years after earning, regardless of any further transactions taking place on that account.

This is not my experience. I have guest miles and they currently show expiry of 30th sept 2015, because of a relatively minor credit from hertz during August. This would suggest that any minor activity keeps ALL of your miles alive for 1 year.

Which is correct?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 1:38 am

2 years from earning. Having an activity on the account does NOT extend the validity of miles like with VX, AA, QF, etc.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat

As above. 2 years from earning. Without looking at the tc's and c's I think they give you more time depending on status. ie silver 2.5 years, gold 3 years.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 4:56 am

The two answers above are correct, think I got 2 1/2 yrs as silver status and had some miles expiring in September and October this year. Just to avoid wasting them,'cos have no plans to fly in near future due to illness, and because hated everything on their web site, I used their points pay affiliation.

Of course a bad value use of miles, but at least I got something useful rather than kissing those miles away. Points pay worked well, but their web site is a bit clunky, took ages for that 'virtual credit card' to load up with miles money.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. Can't make any sense of my account then. Never mind, I'll spend them by then anyway.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:50 am

Terrible policy, which they should make more clear. Miles I earned about 18 months or so ago will therefore expire in 6 months time, despite regularly Crediting miles to my account. I wonder what would happen to a cancelled redemption purchased with miles that have since expired, would they be credited back?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by pazza2000
Terrible policy, which they should make more clear. Miles I earned about 18 months or so ago will therefore expire in 6 months time, despite regularly Crediting miles to my account. I wonder what would happen to a cancelled redemption purchased with miles that have since expired, would they be credited back?
They will retain the original expiry date. So if they're expired you will not see them again.
You could however change the ticket within 1 year of the original travel date.

I had an award booked that I cancelled but took them like 4 weeks to credit back during that time I wanted to book a new award and intended to use those refunded miles but no dice despite numerous calls. Now I have about 44k miles set to expire in 6 months.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by dannyrado
Thanks all. Can't make any sense of my account then. Never mind, I'll spend them by then anyway.
If you log into your account, it will show you the miles that are due to expire in each of the next 3 expiry periods (if you expand the section, it shows you how many miles expire, and on which dates, for the coming 12 months)

How much clearer can they make it?

The website also sets out clearly what expiry timelines apply based on your status:

http://www.etihadguest.com/en/earn-miles/how/

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 21, 2014 at 7:09 am
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by pazza2000
You would most likely loose them. Although nothing is certain. I recently cancelled an upgrade booking and was assured that the miles would be given back to me within two weeks. I really wanted the miles for the return leg to maybe use to upgrade at the airport. But, it took ten weeks and lots of phone calls and emails. The only thing that actually worked was a facebook comment on their page. I got a reply within ten minutes and then the miles were back in my account a week later.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:43 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
I have miles expiring March 2016. Does this mean that;

1. I must have completed all travel using this number of points by the expiry date;

or

2. I must have made a booking before the expiry date with the travel date being as far in the future as I am able to book;

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum. Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
For sure, number 2. You can book a trip as far away as eleven months just before the miles' expiry.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 7:09 pm
Company Representative, Etihad

Dear NoY

Thanks for contacting us, our reservations or guest team will be able to confirm this for you, kindly use these links to help http://bit.ly/1utCVW1 or [email protected]
Thanks *GW
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by EtihadHelp
Dear NoY

Thanks for contacting us, our reservations or guest team will be able to confirm this for you, kindly use these links to help http://bit.ly/1utCVW1 or [email protected]
Thanks *GW
Thanks but I have very very little confidence in what I am told by the team on the telephone. Surely you can confirm this on my behalf?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
I have miles expiring March 2016. Does this mean that;

1. I must have completed all travel using this number of points by the expiry date;

or

2. I must have made a booking before the expiry date with the travel date being as far in the future as I am able to book;

Thanks!
It's No2 the miles are taken at the time of booking.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:50 am
NoY

Originally Posted by dannyrado
It's No2 the miles are taken at the time of booking.
Thank you dannyrado - what if the redemption is cancelled AFTER the original expiry date of the miles? Lost forever?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.