Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Etihad sends first group of Residence butlers off for training

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold

While I'm personally not convinced that three weeks of training will do it, I think it's an interesting idea.

This was just published (in our newsroom).

Etihad Airways Begins Butler Training for A380 Residence Suites
Etihad Airways announced the start of its butler program as the airline’s first-ever butlers began their training at the Savoy Butler Academy in London.

Once trained, the butlers will work on board the airline’s new Airbus A380 aircraft that are coming with three-room cabins called the Residence. ...

<SNIP>
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:06 am

So the butlers will be coming from chefs and F&B managers...always thought they would promote some CS or F FA to the position (talked to several CM, and none of them wanted to become a butler haha), but I guess it makes sense to promote those with F&B experience as the butlers are expected to provide most of the food service as well.

I wonder if EY will have a dedicated shower attendant à la EK as well....
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LausanneBoy
So the butlers will be coming from chefs and F&B managers...always thought they would promote some CS or F FA to the position (talked to several CM, and none of them wanted to become a butler haha), but I guess it makes sense to promote those with F&B experience as the butlers are expected to provide most of the food service as well.

I wonder if EY will have a dedicated shower attendant à la EK as well....
Since the shower is private, I don't think it's necessary.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 7:55 am

but if I'm going to pay that much to fly in The Residence, I expect someone to scrub my back
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by sicklyman
but if I'm going to pay that much to fly in The Residence, I expect someone to scrub my back
Doesn't the Residence allow you to bring a companion at no extra charge?

If you can afford the Residence, then I'm sure you can afford a scrubber, too!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jspira
While I'm personally not convinced that three weeks of training will do it, I think it's an interesting idea
The flights don't start until December 27, 2014.

Perhaps these butlers will be receiving other and additional training in the meantime? Otherwise...what are they going to be doing for the other 10 weeks between now and service commencement?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I think the concept of the residence won't survive more than 6 months in operation then EY will change the F (Residence) cabin to the conventional first class cabin my 2 cents
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by jspira
Since the shower is private, I don't think it's necessary.
There's another shower for the F cabin as well...
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:05 pm

Programs: Paid F
Can I book this with Miles? Would love to fly, say, LHR-AKL with the whole family in "Residences" class. That'd be sweet.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by JW76
Can I book this with Miles? Would love to fly, say, LHR-AKL with the whole family in "Residences" class. That'd be sweet.
Yes for 1 million miles
Old Sep 17, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Yes for 1 million miles
Cool!

But it's only a 7-hour trip from London to Abu Dhabi. I'd like to see this go all the way from London to Australia/New Zealand so I can really take in the whole experience over about 24 hours in transit.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I think the concept of the residence won't survive more than 6 months in operation then EY will change the F (Residence) cabin to the conventional first class cabin my 2 cents
They can't. The space used by the residence is the "no window" space front of the staircase in the A380, it does not take any floor space from regular seating. I think it's a brillant use of this space too : save for EK shower, most airline have some form of uninspiring lounge there that no use anyway.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by JW76
Depends on the size of your family, but it only holds 2 passengers.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 1:36 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I have no idea what the maths would work out to be, but I can bet you that someone at EY has worked the formula, where 4, 5, 6, ... r/t bookings per annum per aircraft, would be sufficient to justify the Residence costings.

There will always be celebrities, royalties, High Net Wealth individuals, who would book this during the year, making it sufficient to justify the pricing.

Ultimately I dont think EY is doing this as a serious money generating tool, but more for marketing and Bling. I can already hear the stories of the celebs, passengers saw flying on the same flight in the Residence .
Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:43 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The flights don't start until December 27, 2014.

Perhaps these butlers will be receiving other and additional training in the meantime? Otherwise...what are they going to be doing for the other 10 weeks between now and service commencement?
As as wild guess, I suspect they will be doing the standard FA training over the next 10 weeks as well.

Since apparently none of them are coming from the FA ranks I suspect they will also need to know the safety aspects of the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.