Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

Help: 23-hour layover (Baggage Question)!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help: 23-hour layover (Baggage Question)!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Question Help: 23-hour layover (Baggage Question)!

Hi All,

I have an upcoming trip with a route that looks like this: HKG-AUH-IAD-ZZZ. I have a stopover/layover in IAD for about 23 hours (essentially an overnight).

Can I ask EY agents in HKG to check my bags ONLY to IAD? I would, of course, re-check my luggage with the appropriate carrier for my final segment the following day. Also does pre-clearance matter with how this issue will be handled?

With security the way it is, I can't imagine that IAD would hold my luggage for 23 hours...

Thanks fellow FTers!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Hi All,

I have an upcoming trip with a route that looks like this: HKG-AUH-IAD-ZZZ. I have a stopover/layover in IAD for about 23 hours (essentially an overnight).

Can I ask EY agents in HKG to check my bags ONLY to IAD? I would, of course, re-check my luggage with the appropriate carrier for my final segment the following day. Also does pre-clearance matter with how this issue will be handled?

With security the way it is, I can't imagine that IAD would hold my luggage for 23 hours...

Thanks fellow FTers!
Answer is yes.

With most other airlines, you would need to manually carry your luggage through immigration anyways and then re-check it by throwing it on a belt (or in your case just hold on to it).

But with EY I think they have a full pre-clearance into the U.S. in Abu Dhabi so that you should arrive at the domestic wing of IAD airport (?), and luggage might actually be checked all the way through to your final destination. Would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it what the drill is.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Answer is yes.

With most other airlines, you would need to manually carry your luggage through immigration anyways and then re-check it by throwing it on a belt (or in your case just hold on to it).

But with EY I think they have a full pre-clearance into the U.S. in Abu Dhabi so that you should arrive at the domestic wing of IAD airport (?), and luggage might actually be checked all the way through to your final destination. Would be interesting to hear from someone who has done it what the drill is.
I called EY last night, and they said that I could tell the check-in agents to tag the bag only to IAD. Also, in terms of security, I can't imagine that the airline or airport would hold a bag for 23 hours...

Anyone else have any experience with this issue? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.