Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Etihad Airways | Etihad Guest
Reload this Page >

considering booking an etihad flight, some queries

Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC

I usually fly EK. The flights at present for March '15 to Oz are still flex, they haven't released any saver deals as yet. The multi stop I am looking to book in J is £3900 ex GLA with Emirates. ( I know I could wait it out...)

When searching via Opodo I found an Etihad offer at £2605, which is lighter on the credit card x2!

I am open to using Etihad as it will start fly from EDI next summer so may use it more often and gain status in due course

My concerns are:
1) To get this offer I need to "land" in XNB(Dubai transit mall) could I skip this bus trip from AUH to XNB and back to XNB or would it render my ticket invalid, If I book just to AUH the price jumps to £3560????
2) GLA via MAN is a 45 min connection, will this be long enough? With flybe codeshare
3) I have never flown Etihad, J seat looks ok on the 777 and 330/200. Anyone's experience would be welcome in comparison to Emirates J on 777 300ER is my usual
4) is the miles/reward scheme favourable?

thanks in advance for any help
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:00 am

For premium travel EK are better but EY are cheaper.

For economy travel EY are slightly better and slightly cheaper

EY status is easier to maintain once achieved, e.g. For Silver 25 000 miles in the first year and 20 000 per 12 months afterwards. Also EY allows family miles to pool into one account and be used towards awards with no minimums on a miles + cash basis.

QF code share may be useful with EK if you travel within Australia.

Abu Dhabi is quieter and cheaper for transit/stop over than Dubai.

If I was paying out of my own pocket I would go for EY, if someone else was paying I'd go for EK.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 4:58 am

Programs: EY Guest Platinum; A3 Gold; Delta Platinum, BA Silver, IHG Gold
I prefer the ey biz over ek. Direct aisle access in all planes compared to the 2-3-2layout in most ek planes
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: EK Blue :-( BAEC
Thanks for the replies.
TBH my biggest concern now after being reassured regarding the inflight service is the 45 min connection at MAN. If we don't make it I would be worried about what would happen as there is only a daily flight out from MAN. Was surprised to see a connection that tight being allowed
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EY Gold, AY Silver, MR Plat
Originally Posted by tummytank
Thanks for the replies.
TBH my biggest concern now after being reassured regarding the inflight service is the 45 min connection at MAN. If we don't make it I would be worried about what would happen as there is only a daily flight out from MAN. Was surprised to see a connection that tight being allowed
There are 2 flights a day from MAN. But, that still leaves 12 hours sitting about :-(

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.