Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chaos in AUH and Etihad flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton

My Sisters flight to Washington which originated in Saudi on EY, got delayed by 4 hours. Luckily she did not miss her connection to IAD, becuase it too has been delayed for 6:30 hours so far !!

She has been sitting in the plane for the past 2:45 minutes with no news on what time there 15 hours trip to IAD will commence.

Although there was a major outage at the airport, which EY is not to blame, it is astonishing how no contingency plan exists to handle such matters.

IFE not switched on, and no food or drink offered except if requested.

Etihad, get your act together !
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Etihad Silver, Qatar Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG, Hilton
Flight has been cancelled altogether ! They have been rebooked on tomorrows flight, however, tomorrows flight time has been changed to 4:30am instead of its scheduled 10:00am original time !!

I wonder what would happen to the poor soles who were originally booked on the 10:00am slot, when they arrive and their flight has already gone !!!

Last edited by sammy7; Mar 6, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:29 am
Company Representative, Etihad

Hey Sammy,

We are very sorry to hear about your sisters flight. Please direct message her details so we can look into this further for you.

Thank you. *KJ
Old Mar 6, 2014, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

I am pleasantly pleased to see a proactive response to this note. This is an encouraging sign.

As she is traveling in Business class, its is a bit disappointing that she was only put in a 3 star hotel.

I do believe a look into how to make up for the situation is in order. She has always traveled either on Lufthansa or Qatar in J. I recommended she try EY, only to have things turn so chaotic, so I feel like am hugely to blame for following my advise.

Pls PM a number which I can call you on, to provide her details.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Sammy - Your sister is not alone!

Im currently sat in the lounge (awful lounge) in ISB waiting for my flight to AUH to connect to LHR.

EY232 should have gone at 3:40, it's now 5:40 and still no sign. Called both EY in AUH and London. One told me to call back in 30 minutes or so as the system isn't working and the other (London) said they couldn't get hold of anybody in AUH for answers!

Terrible service..
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:29 pm
war

Programs: united lifetime gold aa ex plat starwood plat
it is truly chaos here. nobody has any idea what is going on. the staff says "don't pay any attention to monitors" but when asked for specific flight info they just say we will announce it. my flight was 1 hour late arriving at auh which would have caused me to miss my connection but now 5 hours later my connecting flight has still not boarded. It has been delayed 3 times.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

deleted
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

and the saga continues. 28.5 hours later, and my siter is still in AUH waiting to board for IAD.

This is truly appalling on Etihad's side, and we now know for sure which airline has dropped out of our list for future plans. Never again, and I speak for over 12 individuals who travel almost all of our longhaul in J.

I can understand a few hours disruption but 28 and still no sign, is unexplainable.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 9:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
These circumstances aren't unique to Etihad. Most carriers have the same problems when dealing with cancelled flights and the logistics of dealing with 300 people. Everything seems to fall apart.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LG, MP, BAEC, UR
Not good at all. I'm flying EY in F for the first time in two weeks, doesn't give me great faith should any of my flights run into an issue. Please keep us updated as to how this all turns out. 28 hours and counting really is appalling, I really feel for your sister.

Hey Etihad, you guys listening?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:43 pm

Etihad Airways advises ongoing delays

Etihad Airways advises passengers to expect delays as the flight schedule slowly returns to normal following the disruption yesterday.

It will take some time before the schedule is back to normal as a result of the large number of flights and passengers affected.

37 flights were diverted to other airports in the region and 42 flights were cancelled due to a technical failure of the runway landing systems at the Abu Dhabi International Airport.

Yesterday’s circumstances were beyond our control. We are doing everything we can to minimize the disruption and apologize to all passengers who continue to be affected.

In Abu Dhabi we are providing accommodation for more than a thousand guests who have missed their onward connections.

www.etihad.com
Old Mar 6, 2014, 10:45 pm

Etihad Airways will compensate passengers whose flights were diverted or cancelled today.

Flights were diverted to other airports in the region due to a technical failure of the runway landing systems at the Abu Dhabi International Airport.

Etihad Airways will provide compensation benefits which range from Etihad Guest miles to complimentary flights.

If you were on one of the affected flights today, please contact us at [email protected] and include your telephone number so that we can contact you as soon as possible.

Today’s circumstances were beyond our control. We are doing everything we can to minimise the disruption and apologise to all passengers who continue to be affected.

Passengers are advised to visit the Etihad Airways website at www.etihad.com or contact the Etihad Airways Contact Centre on +971 (0) 2599 0000 for more information on the status of flights in and out of Abu Dhabi Airport.
How many miles will be enough as a compensation ?
Old Mar 7, 2014, 9:50 am

Programs: EY Platinum/M&M Gold
Flying Dub-auh-bkk tomorrow morning in business. Got a new flight itinerary emailed in from etihad this morning. Our inbound flight from dublin was to land 40min after our next flight from AUH to BKK was to take off and this was what was now ticketed. We bought tickets through a travel agent so got them to contact the airline and low and behind we now have flights with emirates via Dubai to BKK after a certain amount of persuasion from what i hear; initial reaction from Etihad was to stay on the delayed flight and hope your next flight is delayed so you will make it which i didn't think was a great reply!!.

We have had to rebook our onward flights from bangkok (not a through fare) but at a small cost. We lose half a day of our holidays but its a lot better than 24 hours.

Alls well that kinda ends well....i think...
Old Mar 7, 2014, 11:17 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

just made it home.... flight bkk-auh-fra. 6 hours stuck in al-ain then back to auh. stuck in the airport for 17 hours. queuing hours at the gates just to see the flights getting canceled again. total lack of information / communication. luckily we were booked on business class so we could hang out at the lounge. I pushed really hard to finally get a flight 20 hours after the expected departure time. biggest mess ever.... our bags did not arrive at fra though.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

ummmm

Originally Posted by MAZ199
How many miles will be enough as a compensation ?
Realistically, I think the equivalent of a 1 way redemption on the sector and class booked by the stranded passenger, would be acceptable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.