Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:13 am
Suspended

And to be clear; I think the gist of Lucky's reporting on this-- and most certainly the reports I'm hearing-- is that not _all_ EY awards are unbookable right now with AAdv miles, but, rather, looking for a pattern as to the ones that aren't and **IF** that points to some kind of new issue/limitation that we've not seen before.

Definitely still developing and not conclusive yet, but Lucky's blog piece on the subject very worth reading.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
oopss.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:30 am
SL2

Programs: AA, United, Flying Blue, JAL, ANA, Korean, KrisFlyer, BA
So far no luck for me, but someone commented on Lucky's blog that they got AUH-LHR today that they couldn't get yesterday.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SL2
...but someone commented on Lucky's blog that they got AUH-LHR today that they couldn't get yesterday.
Ah, interesting-- potentially encouraging!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
I'm on the line right now checking a few routings that I was hoping to book, here's some info I received from AA Explat:

1. PEK-AUH - the agent checked several days around when I want to travel (early April) and found no availability in coach or biz on this route;
2. ORD-AUH - showed availability Sat Apr 4 - 45k miles in coach
3. AUH-ORD - showed availability Fir Apr 10 - 45k miles in coach

I ended up not booking anything yet because I'd need to get to AUH from PEK in order to meet my party; need to be able to book both or neither.

An aside: I am looking to book for myself, wife, and son... I was told by this agent that there would be $35 booking fee for wife and son... I would have thought all would be waived since I am booking using my miles as Ex Plat?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by cphurley
I'm on the line right now checking a few routings that I was hoping to book, here's some info I received from AA Explat:

1. PEK-AUH - the agent checked several days around when I want to travel (early April) and found no availability in coach or biz on this route;
2. ORD-AUH - showed availability Sat Apr 4 - 45k miles in coach
3. AUH-ORD - showed availability Fir Apr 10 - 45k miles in coach

I ended up not booking anything yet because I'd need to get to AUH from PEK in order to meet my party; need to be able to book both or neither.

An aside: I am looking to book for myself, wife, and son... I was told by this agent that there would be $35 booking fee for wife and son... I would have thought all would be waived since I am booking using my miles as Ex Plat?
The PEK-AUH flight I was looking for shows 2 seats in Biz and 5 seats in coach for "Guest" miles on both Apr 5 and Apr 6 (via Etihad)... AA agent showed no availability in either coach or biz for these days.

Argh, this was a key cog in positioning for a RTW flight I'm working on starting in April 2015 ex-CAI. Hmm... may have to look at other options.

Please keep updating - hopefully this is just a glitch and the availability will be back for AA miles booking soon. I'm hoping...

NOTE: I called and got the same information from a second ExPlat agent.

Last edited by cphurley; Jan 21, 2015 at 2:04 pm Reason: Added detail re: call back - 2nd agent
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro, EY Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Booked JFK-AUH in biz for 2 this afternoon without issue.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Blootch
All, hate to be off topic but I just canceled two F awards IAD-AUH on March 28th. Not sure how quickly these are released but wanted to share in case it helps someone out.
Can you confirm that canceling results in full refund of $ and miles for Explats. I know that's standard fare for booking AA award reservations but I have yet to book AA miles on Etihad. Also - the agent I was speaking to today said I'd be charged $35 booking fee if/when not booking for myself.

Can someone confirm that as well?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Which Apartment seats connect?

Anyone know which Apartment seats connect? The reviews say that some Apartments are paired and the divider between can be removed. Each seat map shows a different A380 F layout, and none of them make it clear which are paired. I called EY twice and was told different seats each time, plus was told they couldn't be booked in advance anyway (but the agent didn't sound experienced).
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP - MR Plat - HH Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
Anyone know which Apartment seats connect? The reviews say that some Apartments are paired and the divider between can be removed. Each seat map shows a different A380 F layout, and none of them make it clear which are paired. I called EY twice and was told different seats each time, plus was told they couldn't be booked in advance anyway (but the agent didn't sound experienced).
You need to get rows 3 and 4 on the same side.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:18 pm

Any success stories? Is this fixed?

Originally Posted by anabolism

Last edited by mlqsko; Jan 21, 2015 at 11:23 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:49 am
H99

Programs: centurion
Originally Posted by Chgo2AD
Booked JFK-AUH in biz for 2 this afternoon without issue.
Seems like this is being resoved/has been resolved. I was able to book flights today that I couldn't yesterday as well
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: LH HON
Successful booked SIN-AUH-DUS this morning!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:58 am

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by H99
Seems like this is being resoved/has been resolved. I was able to book flights today that I couldn't yesterday as well
I called back in the evening and the agent was able to find space in coach and biz on AUH-ORD (both ways) for April dates I was looking at... However, I was pulling up the information from EY at same time and they quoted me availability on a few days with NO Guest Business and no availability on some days WITH Guest Business. Very strange.

Also I have still had no luck on PEK-AUH on Apr dates where EY showing Guest Business seats... I've been offered PEK-DOH-AUH on QR or PEK-HKG-DXB on CX as alternate options.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.