Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Awards: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles (>= 2015)

This thread is about our members' successful award bookings on Etihad / EY using AAdvantage miles. Please do not post to this thread if you want tips and assistance on booking Etihad awards with AA miles but see this thread: How to use AA miles on Etihad / EY (Consolidated / Master Thread). The wikipost of that thread also contains instructions on how to search for EY availability.

Note: posts prior to 2015 about this topic (with the exception of a few 2014 end of year posts brought forward for continuity) may be found at ARCHIVE: Success stories of award booking on Etihad using AA miles
Print Wikipost

Success stories booking awards on Etihad using AA miles (Archive - 2015 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by tungsten79
I'm trying to upgrade AUH-JFK on 2/25/16 from J to F for two people (J booked using award miles as well). I see availability on Guest Saver First on the Etihad Guest, but when I call AA, they say it's not available. ugh .. any ideas?
This happened to me tonight while trying to make a change. Though I could clearly see space, the agent insisted it wasn't there, and made a big to-do about how there could be no mistaking it. I hung up, called back, and the next agent found ample space and made the booking immediately.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by danielm
This happened to me tonight while trying to make a change. Though I could clearly see space, the agent insisted it wasn't there, and made a big to-do about how there could be no mistaking it. I hung up, called back, and the next agent found ample space and made the booking immediately.
Monkey no see monkey no do! I am so used to that already with phone reps
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
DOn't blame the phone reps. Do you think that they purposely tell you that its not there? There is something called time-space continuum between GDS/CRSs in real time. It comes down to the availability at that second between AA and EY and sometimes (more often than not), when agent punch in the details, the info is not passed properly to EY and it shows up as zero.

Agent needs to just request space again. Ask agent to check something else and then go back to the same request.

Anyway, I managed to book : CAI-x/AUH-x/BKK-x/HKG-PEN all in J as there was no F for 30K and $88.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
DOn't blame the phone reps.
Of course I don't think that. I'm not trying to blame anyone, only to confirm that there do seem to be situations where availability on guestseat can't be seen by the agent, and to say that you shouldn't give up if a particular agent (at a particular moment) isn't seeing that space. Asking the agent to check something else and then coming back to it is a great idea, which I'll be sure to remember for next time. .
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes its their fault in a way. If you are a good customer service rep, and you see that your system has a discrepancy with what the customer states, you at least say you are going to find out whats happening and to see if its possible to resolve the issue. Not just sit in front of the PC and say I dont see I dont do
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
Yes its their fault in a way. If you are a good customer service rep, and you see that your system has a discrepancy with what the customer states, you at least say you are going to find out whats happening and to see if its possible to resolve the issue. Not just sit in front of the PC and say I dont see I dont do
They have done this, and people still blame them.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
They have done this, and people still blame them.
In my case, the agent wouldn't check because "awards you find on Etihad's website are absolutely no indication of what can be booked with aa miles." So she did note the discrepancy between the two, but chalked it up to me not knowing how to search for Etihad awards, and insisted their was no point in re-running the search. Oh well.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by danielm
In my case, the agent wouldn't check because "awards you find on Etihad's website are absolutely no indication of what can be booked with aa miles." So she did note the discrepancy between the two, but chalked it up to me not knowing how to search for Etihad awards, and insisted their was no point in re-running the search. Oh well.
I assume you knew that what she said about award space was untrue, so it's best just to politely HUACA. You're never going to get anywhere with a stubborn CSR who doesn't know what he/she is talking about.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by edy4eva
Update: CD is showing as unconfirmed. Another call to EY and now they're back to saying the request bounced back because it is NOT eligible for CD! GRRRRRR
So after wasting more than 15 hours on this issue over the past 6 months - makes me wonder if this was worth the effort, I got the bottom of it. It seems that the original AA agent booked one of the business class sectors in paid business -wasn't even aware this could be possible. EY systems were seeing a mismatch, throwing out an error and assuming the ticket as not properly issued - no fare paid. I was lucky to still have award seats in the same flight, so it was a matter of getting to an AA agent who understood the issue/how to sort it. It took several HUACA.

Just so others don't go through what I went through, ensure that the AA agent books the proper fare bucket for awards (OIX). It was thanks to a star of an EY agent (well ahead of the mediocre pack) that picked on this issue and advised me to contact AA to get it rectified.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat 2MM), Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat75, UA1K
Ticket Reissue Problems

Booked and ticketed MLE-AUH-BNE in Business using miles. Ticket issued without a problem. A few days later, on June 23rd, I saw that F was available through Melbourne. Had the reservation changed to be MLE-AUH-MEL-BNE using a combo of EY and QF. That was on June 23rd. It sat like that until June 28th so I called to see if there was an issue. The AAgent said that there were not enough miles in my account (which was incorrect). After looking at my balance, she agreed and called the Ticketing Desk. Within a day, the miles for the original Business award were redeposited along with taxes being refunded. On the following day, miles were pulled for the new award and the taxes hit my credit card. As of today (July 3rd) it is still "on request". Any ideas on how I can get this ticket issued? This is part of a very complicated RTW trip we are planning and if there is an issue, I need to know now so I can fix it/find an alternative.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 11:39 pm

Booked two business class award tickets on Finnair (JFK - LHR - HEL - DEL) a few days ago using AA miles.

Today I found out that I cannot fly through Europe. Air Jordanian is not servicing India any more. Next option was Eithad but it doesn't show up on AA website.

So called Customer Service for the first time and got lucky. The guy was awesome. He could see the same award availability on Eithad JFK-AUH-DEL that I was seeing and had my tickets changed in no time!
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:13 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Would I be able to do OW JFK-HEL-LED, then return DME-AUH-LAX for 60K?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Would I be able to do OW JFK-HEL-LED, then return DME-AUH-LAX for 60K?

Thanks,
BmB
No. DME-AUH-LAX requires 2 awards because you cross a 3rd region. Only when DME-XXX-LAX the XXX is either in Europe or North America that can be a 30K one way - provided the DME-XXX-LAX has a published fare by the carrier that fly the TATL segment. Otherwise it would be again 2 awards.

Didn't you already ask the same question in the Saaver Award thread and have gotten the answers?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:25 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
No. DME-AUH-LAX requires 2 awards because you cross a 3rd region. Only when DME-XXX-LAX the XXX is either in Europe or North America that can be a 30K one way - provided the DME-XXX-LAX has a published fare by the carrier that fly the TATL segment. Otherwise it would be again 2 awards.

Didn't you already ask the same question in the Saaver Award thread and have gotten the answers?
Well...I posted this one first, hoping that I could fly with EY.

The other post is broader (more optimistic, perhaps)?

Thanks for your reply, Happy.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 5:18 am

Could I book HEL-DXB-AUH-SYD-AUH-DXB-HEL with AAMiles (hel-dxb segments with AY AUH-SYD with EY)? And if yes, what would be the miles required for J class? Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.