Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riced
Let's put this in a wiki post!
Please include: route; original class - new class; original price paid; final price; where the upgrade was obtained [via bid or at check-in]; month of flight.First Letter of your last name.
  • AUH-SYD and MEL-AUH, J-F both at $1250 AUD.
  • NRT-AUH Y-J $950USD or ¥110,000JPY offered at check in.
  • AUH-DEL AU$150
  • IST-AUH AU$400.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,400 at check-in.
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,180.
  • AUH-JFK Y-J US$1,150 (March 2015).
  • JFK-AUH Y-J US$1,100 (April 2015)
  • AUH-GRU J-F AED2575 (€650; US$700) minimum upgrade bid accepted (April 2015)
  • SYD-AUH J-F A380 US$1,050 $50 above min bid. (October 2015)
Print Wikipost

Offered a paid upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:12 pm

Hi all,

I bought an economy ticket partly using miles - about 30-35% of the fare was paid for with miles and the rest cash. I presume I'm now ineligible for the bid for upgrade system? Am I able to upgrade for cash at the airport? Am silver tier in the guest programme

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Etihad Silver
BGW - AUH. minimum was 585DHS. Offered 600Dhs 72 hours before departure. Accepted 48 hours before Departure.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Irishguy28, thanks for reporting back. That's exactly what I suspected. Any luck with the airport buy-up? (I'm skeptical even this would work)

-FlyerBeek
I flew DUS-AUH-MEL yesterday and was able to upgrade the leg AUH-MEL from C to F for 650 US$ at the airport in DUS.
Old May 1, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: EY Silver, BA Silver, EK paper, BOAC Junior Jet Club
Offered Plusgrade for economy to business AUH-LHR £535-£900?? (cannot recall top price) last week.

Economy was full or oversold, so I bid £635 and got the upgrade. I figured a slightly inflated bid had a better chance than the minimum given that others may be thinking it worth escaping a crowded economy section.

I wondered if the minimum varied according to loads. But I see others have been offered £535+ too.

Business was full on the flight, so I imagine Etihad did a mix of Plusgrades, miles upgrade at airport and op-ups. I didn't wish to risk the latter two options.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:47 am

Programs: EK Skywards Gold, Etihad Guest Gold, VS
Originally Posted by RowH
Offered Plusgrade for economy to business AUH-LHR £535-£900?? (cannot recall top price) last week.

Economy was full or oversold, so I bid £635 and got the upgrade. I figured a slightly inflated bid had a better chance than the minimum given that others may be thinking it worth escaping a crowded economy section.

I wondered if the minimum varied according to loads. But I see others have been offered £535+ too.

Business was full on the flight, so I imagine Etihad did a mix of Plusgrades, miles upgrade at airport and op-ups. I didn't wish to risk the latter two options.

Sorry to be smug, but makes my £540 for AUH-SIN-BNE, 15 hours plus flying time, look particularly good.

Yesterday I revisited the e-mail I was sent on the 11th April and submitted a bid for the return BNE-SIN-AUH leg next week, one again at the minimum offer available, £540. I haven't yet had an e-mail kicking that bid into touch so I guess there is still a possibility. If I get that I really won't mind about AUH-LHR.

The maximum price on the two flights represented by BNE-SIN-AUH was only a little higher than that for the AUH-LHR which is <half the distance, so demand has it I guess.

I like that EY also indicates that it isn't an auction, price is only one factor as to who gets an upgrade, status also has weight too. Fingers remain firmly crossed.
Old May 6, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Irishguy28, thanks for reporting back. That's exactly what I suspected. Any luck with the airport buy-up? (I'm skeptical even this would work)

-FlyerBeek
Yes, I was able to buy up at the airport. I was flying DUB-AUH-SYD and the price at the airport was €460 (if I remember correctly) for DUB-AUH and €833 for AUH-SYD. I bought the upgrade for the second sector.

However, having checked in I discovered that there was a separate Etihad PNR that I had previously not seen (I booked with an online travel agent, and all EY flights were actually purchased as Virgin Australia codeshares). Once I had that Etihad PNR (you will find it on the luggage label), I was able to request participation in the upgrade scheme by email for the return flights, and instead of being knocked back (as I had previously with the non-Etihad PNR) I got the offer to participate by email for the return flights almost immediately.

Incidentally, the minimum offer for SYD-AUH on the return was €830, but I didn't bid for the return leg so do not know if this amount would have been successful. The Economy cabin was completely full though!

Last edited by irishguy28; May 6, 2014 at 1:14 am
Old May 23, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Does anyone know how much it is roughly to bid to upgrade from Economy to Business from RUH to AUH on a one way ticket? Is it possible to get an offer for a one way ticket?
Old May 23, 2014, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Does anyone know how much it is roughly to bid to upgrade from Economy to Business from RUH to AUH on a one way ticket? Is it possible to get an offer for a one way ticket?
Do it at the airport for around 200USD tops.
Old May 24, 2014, 2:48 am

Programs: EK Silver, , ba exec club gold. Thai Air Silver, SPG - Gold.Etihad gold
do we get access to the F lounge?

my wife and I flying from SYD to LHR in J have been offered, by email, the chance to bid for an upgrade to F. the one aspect of this that is tempting is the chance to use the F lounge at AUH if we upgrade from AUH to LHR.

however, the T&C state words to the effect that upgrade amenities including meals may not be available. this suggests that all that is guaranteed is a seat in F and possibly no invite to the F lounge.

we have a 7 hour plus stopover at AUH.
Old May 24, 2014, 7:25 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
I did the paid upgrade from J to F on CDG-AUH and had the full F-experience, incl. F food and drinks and even F-miles.

now I´m also tempted to bid for the F-upgrade on DUS-AUH next week.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:51 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by gkl
I did the paid upgrade from J to F on CDG-AUH and had the full F-experience, incl. F food and drinks and even F-miles.
What about the chauffeured limo?
Old May 24, 2014, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by colcol
my wife and I flying from SYD to LHR in J have been offered, by email, the chance to bid for an upgrade to F. the one aspect of this that is tempting is the chance to use the F lounge at AUH if we upgrade from AUH to LHR.

however, the T&C state words to the effect that upgrade amenities including meals may not be available. this suggests that all that is guaranteed is a seat in F and possibly no invite to the F lounge.

Since you'll be connecting onto a 3 class aircraft in business rather than First, chances are you will be denied entry to the F lounge citing the inbound F.

The meals in F are essentially the same as those in J (well with few added extras) so wouldn't be worried about this.
By the way you can upgrade the SYD-AUH sector at the counter in Sydney for ~900AUD pp.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by colcol

If you upgrade SYD-AUH then there's no guarantee your inbound BP will be enough to get you into the F lounge as you're connecting onto J. I have always managed to use the F lounge with my inbound F boarding pass, but others have reported being refused, so I guess it's hit and miss.

If you upgrade the AUH-LHR section, you will definitely be able to use the F lounge at AUH.

I've never been refused a choice of meal of EY; either in F or J.
Old May 25, 2014, 1:53 am
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
What about the chauffeured limo?
The limo which took us to CDG was a Mercedes S class, but we booked the limo already with our J-tickets. We had 4 chauffeur services during our flight CDG-AUH-SIN / MEL-AUH (stopover)-CDG, 2 for me, 2 for my +1. The F-leg did not gave us more or unlimited limo-transfers.

I just bid for an upgrade on DUS-AUH from J to F (450 €), the onwards leg is a 2-class service AUH-NRT, but I expect that we would be able to access the F-Lounge in AUH. I will report if we will be denied entry.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:15 pm

win some, loose some

First half of May 2014, AUH-YYZ, 1 person, initially minimum bid of around 1,200 CAD, raised about 2-3 days out to 1,400 CAD. Availability J2 at 24h out. No joy.

J fully checked in, so no luck at the airport either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.