Etihad - food poisoning. Warning.

Subscribe
When Etihad food poison you they WILL refuse responsibility completely unless you can provide a sample of the meal that poisoned you. (not easy 5 hours after the event when you suddenly realize your ill JOKE - Not even a free drink as compensation for leaving you sick with side effects for over a week. You have been warned. there are better airlines with better service who dont ask you for samples of the food they supplied you. I gave them 10 days and 5 emails to rectify the situation and all they did was say "not our fault." - NOT GOOD ENOUGH. It clearly was your food. NEVER FLYING WITH YOU, EVER AGAIN.
How do you know?
Love these one post wonder rants.

Don't think that there is any way for you to actually prove that this unfortunate event happened due to eating food provided by EY.

Welcome to FT. You probably won't get too much sympathy.
Why would you possibly want a free drink after food poisoning? I would want water and broth. Maybe.

They need your sample if you want proof, which why would you?
Quote: How do you know?
My Partner and I eat the same food for 3 days prior to the flight. the only difference was the fish dished served by them on the second leg from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.
I woke 5 hours after eating it with stomach cramps and nausea.
that makes it pretty easy to ascertain its origin.
Quote: Why would you possibly want a free drink after food poisoning? I would want water and broth. Maybe.

They need your sample if you want proof, which why would you?
how the hell do i provide a sample of the meal they took away from me 5 hours prior to my being ill?

I offered them stool samples, the declined
Quote: how the hell do i provide a sample of the meal they took away from me 5 hours prior to my being ill?

I offered them stool samples, the declined
Then there is no way to determine where and when the poisoning happened.
It has to be a pretty long flight to get symptoms from the meal on the flight. Typically looking at > 6 hrs for toxins to build up.

OP sounds plausible.
LMorgan, welcome to FlyerTalk.

As this is specific to Etihad, please follow as the thread moves to the specific airline forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Was anyone else ill?
Interested to know where the flight originated - you could have picked something up before boarding?

Was the fish undercooked or smelly in an unexpected way ?

I'm always more suspicious of rice - one of the biggest causes of food poisoning (specially when reheated)

One can get symptoms of food poisoning very quickly - I recall getting symptoms within 20 minutes, didn't really kick in for about 4 hours.

Finally, waking with stomach cramp and nausea on a plane is not uncommon - eating a big meal and then sitting in a cramped hot cabin doesn't aid healthy digestion.
Quote: My Partner and I eat the same food for 3 days prior to the flight. the only difference was the fish dished served by them on the second leg from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.
As an MD i can confirm to you that the symptoms you had are not becuase of the food you ate on EY but something else. Food poisining symptoms always start to show only 36 to 48 hours from eating the food in question.
Quote: As an MD i can confirm to you that the symptoms you had are not becuase of the food you ate on EY but something else. Food poisining symptoms always start to show only 36 to 48 hours from eating the food in question.
I thought Bacterial Toxins work a lot faster - I certainly had a chinese meal 10+ years ago that didn't taste right. 20 minutes later it felt I had a brick in my stomach - 6 hours or so later I was throwing up. Felt rough for 24 hours then I was fine.
Don't eat the fish!!!
Quote: My Partner and I eat the same food for 3 days prior to the flight. the only difference was the fish dished served by them on the second leg from Abu Dhabi to Sydney.
Don't you know not to eat the fish?!?

See here!

Seriously...I hope you're feeling better regardless of how you may have become sick.
I always travel with Fasigyn and Noroxin for this reason. I especially needed them in Thailand.

Have you considered you may have got ill from brushing your teeth in local water, a salad or other food?
Quote: I thought Bacterial Toxins work a lot faster - I certainly had a chinese meal 10+ years ago that didn't taste right. 20 minutes later it felt I had a brick in my stomach - 6 hours or so later I was throwing up. Felt rough for 24 hours then I was fine.
I would totally agree with this. Here in Asia food poisoning is very common and most symptoms show within a few hours.