Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Are 15,000 miles fair Compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Situation:

Ticket: Paid first class from Melbourne to DXB.

The ipad control system for my entertainment was locked in place and could not be lifted out. I could not change channels nor use it during the flight.

FA's reset my system four times before giving up and saying it would not work.

I requested an upgrade from business to first on an upcoming flight, but was offered 15,000 miles in compensation.

Is this fair?

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
15,000 miles can be used for an upgrade from DXB - KWI (2 hours flight.)

Only you can decide whether that is fair or not.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 1:52 am

15k miles is on par with what other airlines (BA, QF etc) offer for failure of entertainment system. I would consider it as fair.

Expecting an upgrade is a bit of stretch.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I'm pretty much with edy4eva on this one wrt the goodwill compensation offered.

As for the upgrade request .... hmm .....strikes me as a bit cheeky & inappropriate.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: Skywards
only the ipad did not work or the complet entertainment system?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
If the touch sensitive main screen and the wired remote control were working, it seems quite reasonable to me.
I encountered this situation a couple of times but never though about complaining. Will think about that from now on
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: Skywards
Originally Posted by ioto1902
If the touch sensitive main screen and the wired remote control were working, it seems quite reasonable to me.
I encountered this situation a couple of times but never though about complaining. Will think about that from now on
1+

actually 7/10 the ipad is not working

so if everything else worked, 15K miles are very good in my opinion (anyway it is always hit & miss with EK customer service..)
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:51 am

15k miles works out at around 150-200 USD in potential value, so if it was only the iPad controller itself that didn't work (i.e. you could still use the touchscreen monitor to adjust the seat, the in-seat handset in the armrest and/or the buttons on the seat itself) then I think 15k is more than fair as it's only a minor inconvenience.

EK compensation can be quite variable: I had a broken seat in J DXB-IAD and "only" got 20k miles but baggage delays to carousel at DXB netted 10k. Reported IFE broken, 0 miles, rude and misinformed crew 0 miles.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:24 am

Programs: Skywards Blue :-(, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, GHA Platinum
Did they offer to move you to another seat in the cabin ( if there were any free)?

If this was offered then 15000 miles is very generous.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ukdoctor
Did they offer to move you to another seat in the cabin ( if there were any free)?

If this was offered then 15000 miles is very generous.
First was completely full, so it was impossible to move to another seat.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eternaltransit
15k miles works out at around 150-200 USD in potential value, so if it was only the iPad controller itself that didn't work (i.e. you could still use the touchscreen monitor to adjust the seat, the in-seat handset in the armrest and/or the buttons on the seat itself) then I think 15k is more than fair as it's only a minor inconvenience.

EK compensation can be quite variable: I had a broken seat in J DXB-IAD and "only" got 20k miles but baggage delays to carousel at DXB netted 10k. Reported IFE broken, 0 miles, rude and misinformed crew 0 miles.

Thanks for the insight and broader perspective. This is what I was hoping to find. Very helpful.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:35 pm

I received 10k compensation miles for the crew forgetting to serve my meal in J class HKG-BKK... again, one of these minor inconveniences, so its seems in the right region compared to mine and other others experiences.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by jbflyboy84
I received 10k compensation miles for the crew forgetting to serve my meal in J class HKG-BKK... again, one of these minor inconveniences, so its seems in the right region compared to mine and other others experiences.
Did they at least give you the meal when you reminded them?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by eternaltransit
Did they at least give you the meal when you reminded them?
Or ...... perhaps 'conveniently' omitted to remind them ; on the basis that the prospect of receiving 10K miles was more attractive than the meal ....
Old Feb 7, 2016, 2:20 am

Programs: Thai Silver,Skywards Silver,Gulf Silver, Interconti Prority Platinum, FR Priority Q!
The two K seats in F suites had no ICE despite the efforts of the Purser. There were spare seats but it would have separated Mrs SS & I so were not offered. Purser said she would report it as it needed to be fixed for the next sector (it was the DXB/BKK/SYD flight)
Three days later we received an apology and 30k miles-which was nice...
SS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.