Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overweight ex-OZ

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 7:44 am
ATD
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Delta Skymiles, Continental Onepass, etc.
Overweight ex-OZ

Hi everyone,

In a few hours my wife and I and baby will be catching EK 425 from Perth to Dubai. Despite our infant baggage allowance and Skywards Silver allowance, we will likely still be a few kilos overweight. Officially, EK charges 50 AUD per kilo over the limit!

Does anyone have any experience whether they actually enforce this from Australia? How likely will they let it pass?

Any advice will be appreciated as we finish up our packing tonight. Thanks!

--ATD
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:21 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Virgin Blue, United, Qantas
I've come close a couple of times - though always on the return leg from LON. If you are a few kilos over, you should be OK. If it is getting on for 5 or 10 each then you may be in trouble. Put a bit extra in your handluggage if you can - and work out what has to come with you and what can be left behind. Fingers crossed!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 1:34 pm

Put a bit extra in your handluggage if you can
Warning: Perth is one of few airports where they check your handluggage. I was send back to check in because I had 10 kg instead of the allowed 7 kg, to get an approval from EK to take 10 kg on bord the aircraft.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Now dirt, BA Silver soon dirt EX NW IGE. EX BA Gold EX AA EXP x9. SQ Gold
My experience is that most airlines in Australia follow the EXACT rules.
As previously mentioned I might place the extra weight in my carry on and use the "cute baby distraction" to slip onto the aircraft.
Let us know how it went.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Dont risk being too overweight, a couple of KGs should be ok but last time i flew out in July from aus the checked hand luggage at check in! weight + dimensions.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
When we checked in for a flight back from Perth, we had to empty out our bags of the additional k's... The check-in staff ended up better off for a couple of bags of Cherry Ripes and Violet Crumbles....
Old Dec 11, 2008, 6:26 pm

Programs: Skywards, Qmiles, Miles&More, Enrich
Once, I had way too much stuff so they charged me like US$500 for overweight baggage. Then another time, my luggage was 8kg extra & they were so strict that they won't even discount me a single kg.

I don't know if it depends on if the flight is full or not because KUL-DXB sector is almost always pretty full which may explain their strictness
Old Dec 12, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, EK-Silver, SV-Gold
Agree.. sometimes they can be strict.. it really depends on the person at the check in counter.. i now profile the persons at the counter first, to see which one is strict and which one might let it slide. Not saying this is a 100% accurate or even 50% accurate but worked better than not profiling.

Once i had to upgrade using my sky miles just so i wont get charged like 800$. and even then i was over by 5 kgs, and still wanted to charge me, then someone from emirates airlines came to me while i was reorganizing my bags as to take out some from the baggage to carry on with me, and said, dont worry about it.

it was after that incident that i started to profile.

It also depends on Emirates cargo (skycargo) is full loaded or not, as they use the the passengers flight to cargo stuff.

I once shipped 121Kgs from MEL-PEK via DXB, for $1015. I tracked my stuff online.. and it was on the EK 405 flight out of MEL to DXB then the following day on EK 306 DXB-PEK.

Btw Melbourne also checks hand baggage at check-in and at security.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 2:09 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
If you think you might be overweight, try getting there first too as they may be more willing to let you on with more (also may depend on flight loads and ofcourse who you get checking you in )
Old Dec 15, 2008, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by jakesterUK
The check-in staff ended up better off for a couple of bags of Cherry Ripes and Violet Crumbles....
Yuck! No loss to you there then!!! (Sorry, but I hate both of those...particularly the Cherry Ripes!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.