Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Lounge access update for Skywards Gold and Silver members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access update for Skywards Gold and Silver members

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:03 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
I just made Gold a few days ago and the first communication was that there would be no lounge access.

As I have a priority pass, it's no big deal apart from free fizz but I think it's a pretty rubbish decision.

I can only assume there are far more golds than silvers using the lounge (although you'd think not) otherwise, why not restrict lounge access to just Gold, see how it goes and then, if necessary, take it away or add another gold/silver/J lounge a bit like T1.

Ultimately EK will have to increase the top tier to 100K miles like US airlines as they now have some very long routes and getting gold if you fly these is a breeze. Alternatively, award tier points like BA which makes a longhaul flight count the same no matter how far it is (almost).
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I just made Gold a few days ago and the first communication was that there would be no lounge access.

As I have a priority pass, it's no big deal apart from free fizz but I think it's a pretty rubbish decision.

I can only assume there are far more golds than silvers using the lounge (although you'd think not) otherwise, why not restrict lounge access to just Gold, see how it goes and then, if necessary, take it away or add another gold/silver/J lounge a bit like T1.

Ultimately EK will have to increase the top tier to 100K miles like US airlines as they now have some very long routes and getting gold if you fly these is a breeze. Alternatively, award tier points like BA which makes a longhaul flight count the same no matter how far it is (almost).
Really sorry but at the moment there is no Priority Pass lounge at T3
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:02 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, American Airlines Gold, SPG Gold, Amex Gold, Hyatt Platinum
We have a facebook group now to protest;

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36978619209

Here is the email to complain:

[email protected]

[email protected]

Let's get cracking:
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
The main reason I have flown almost exclusively on Emirates for the last few years between the UK and Australia is that when flying in Y, having access to the lounge does make the very long trip bearable. Because flying EK is actually several hours longer than some of the other carriers, and because my normal flight arrives in MEL about one a.m. this decision will make me look into alternatives. With the economic crisis, fewer clients are going to agree to
Business class travel (particularly at EK's prices)
I was in the Terminal 3 lounge at DXB a couple of weeks ago and it was actually
almost unbearably crowded, lack of sensible planning evident, considering the
huge open spaces elsewhere in T3.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 4:41 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Star Alliance Gold
re: reality

Originally Posted by dazz81
Any reply defending Emirates will fall on deaf ears for most passengers. The facts are Emirates has shown very little forward vision with T3. How they can screw up this badly is anyones guess. I really don't understand the praise and admiration for this airline when these sorts of things are decided.

SQ had the vision to create a Gold level lounge in its new T3 at SIN dedicated to Gold card holders traveling in Y. First and Business class have their own separate lounges dedicated to them. Y pax in T2 also use a separate lounge, the SATS lounge in SIN. If SQ could do it, then why can't Emirates? Dubai is trying to live up to being some kind of paradise in the middle east, but the airline based there seems to have no idea about what its customers want? Dated business class and 10 abreast Y seating in 777-300ERs serving Australia - and now you have to walk 20 or 30 mins if you hold a gold card to get to a lounge after being stuck like a sardine in 777 Y class to Dubai.... Get real Emirates
Are we not just expecting too much? I run up around 75,000 status miles a year and spend < US$5000 doing it. For that I get heaps of op-ups (SYD-DXB, NIC-DXB, AKL-SYD-AKL, BNE-AKL alone this year), lounge access galore (and these are good lounges people!!), approx 140,000 skywards miles (with gold/online bonus) to redeem (saving me US$4000 on trips to DXB/BEY etc). I don't think EK has baited us...I think it just has to be sensible and making T1 a Gold/Silver affair isn't the best solution, but a solution all the same to overcrowding. Plus why do we feel to entitled so EK's new T3 Business Class lounge? We've never been admitted to premium DXB lounges before!

I fly off to Dubai on Monday night from AKL. I look forward to a one-stop service, a pre-selected seat, good food/drink, priority check in, lounge access at AKL/DXB and some extra luggage allowance. I don't think I need anything else, nor am I entitled to it. Am I being realistic? I think so.

It is EK's prerogative to admit whoever it wants into its new flagship J Lounge. If people feel so overly middle-class about being excluded then they should fly Etihad or Qatar, who welcome you with open arms into their hub city J class lounges.

Sorry to sound angry, but I'm so sick of hearing about this T3 lounge business! 20mins walk is what I did from Gate 8 to the remote stands....are we any worse off?

cw
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:12 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Gorilaz
Really sorry but at the moment there is no Priority Pass lounge at T3

This listed with Priority Pass:

Airport: dubai - International (DXB), Terminal 3
Lounge: MARHABA LOUNGE
Location: Airside - Concourse 2, at the East end of Level 4. The Lounge is located on the North (Fox) side, next to Gate 220. Access can be made via the elevator from Level 3 Departures.

Opening Hours: 24 hours daily.

Conditions: Children under 2 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:14 am

Programs: EK Gold, , FB Gold, Jet Platinum, ICH Royal Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Platinum
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
This listed with Priority Pass:

Airport: dubai - International (DXB), Terminal 3
Lounge: MARHABA LOUNGE
Location: Airside - Concourse 2, at the East end of Level 4. The Lounge is located on the North (Fox) side, next to Gate 220. Access can be made via the elevator from Level 3 Departures.

Opening Hours: 24 hours daily.

Conditions: Children under 2 years are admitted free - Non-smoking.
That is good news, i was in T3 a couple of weeks back and checked the Marhaba lounge. They told me only local Amex platinum and other local gold credit card holders were eligible.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I have received a reply to my email to Skywards about the new policy. Their reply is below. LEts see if this is a new "form": letter that everone will get/

Dear Mr. yyzlhr

Thank you for your recent email regarding Lounge access at Dubai International Airport.

Please allow us to clarify that we have not removed the benefit of Lounge access for Gold and Silver members. The recent change has been made simply to redistribute customers and ensure that everyone continues to enjoy the quiet sanctuary that our Lounges offer prior to flight departure. As such, our Skywards Gold & Silver members traveling Economy Class as well as our First and Business Class customers can enjoy a relaxing and peaceful environment without overcrowding impacting on their experience.

As a Skywards Gold member, when traveling Economy Class, you can enjoy access to our Emirates Business Class Lounge near gate 122 and, when flying in First or Business Class, you can enjoy access to the applicable Lounge in Terminal 3. All Lounges continue to feature the same world class catering and hospitality that you have come to expect when traveling with Emirates.

Kindly also note that an additional Tier above Gold is already in the planning stage, along with some other exciting changes to the Skywards programme. We will have further announcements on this in the year ahead.

Please be assured that we have forwarded your feedback to our Marketing Department who will take your comments and suggestions into consideration. Thank you for your continued support of the Skywards programme.

Yours sincerely,

M.M.
Skywards Member Services
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:30 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Well, I'm now sitting in the T3 Business lounge. Not impressed. It's just another floor of the terminal, with free food and drink.

It's far too noisy. Loads of announcements and the constant 'beep-beep' of an alarm somewhere that no one seems to want to turn off. And as for those 'people carriers'.... don't get me started.

The lounge isn't too busy yet, so maybe the Gold/Silver decision has had the desired effect.

One thing made me laugh. A guy got into a lift and clearly noticed me trying to get there before it left. Anyway, he didn't hold it for me. So, I had a wry smile when he was being turned away from the lounge and directed to the old lounge as he was travelling economy

Cheers,
Rick
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
and the constant 'beep-beep' of an alarm somewhere that no one seems to want to turn off.

I would take a long shot bet that it was the same fire door that was making the noise at 2:30am Saturday monring.-- ground floor almost below the Business lounge. (I was walking to T1 - luckily gate was 121 )
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:21 pm

Well, I'm now sitting in the T3 Business lounge. Not impressed. It's just another floor of the terminal, with free food and drink.

It's far too noisy. Loads of announcements and the constant 'beep-beep' of an alarm somewhere that no one seems to want to turn off. And as for those 'people carriers'.... don't get me started.

The lounge isn't too busy yet, so maybe the Gold/Silver decision has had the desired effect.

One thing made me laugh. A guy got into a lift and clearly noticed me trying to get there before it left. Anyway, he didn't hold it for me. So, I had a wry smile when he was being turned away from the lounge and directed to the old lounge as he was travelling economy

Cheers,
Rick
You have to try the toilet seats just to see if they have fixed the problem with the seat cover holders. Have a good trip home, sorry about the weather, at least yesterday was a good day.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 12:37 am

Be good to yourself. Fly an airline other than Emirates
Old Dec 10, 2008, 5:57 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Platinum A332
Be good to yourself. Fly an airline other than Emirates
After that flight on the A380, I can't see myself flying on any othe airline/aircraft. Absolutely perfect :-)

I'd love to be able to afford a trip in First Class.

Cheers, Rick
Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:55 am

Cheers,
Rick

hahahahah that's awesome!
Old Dec 14, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: Skywards, Flying Blue
Gold members are back in!

I just got an email back from Skywards in reply to my complaint yesterday.
The policy has changed as Of Dec 13 and Gold members are allowed back into T3 Business Lounge (and they can bring in a guest!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.