Don't Fly Emirates - but why?

Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Don't Fly Emirates - but why?

I have received a lot of posts asking the reasoning behind my signature and even more PMs (my box is now 98% full! ) so I thought I would outline a thread explaining why I have stopped, and I will place a link to it in my signature.

OK, so the reasons I have stopped flying Emirates are three fold.

The first is due to possible discriminatory policies. Although they have not been proven, they have not been unproven either. Despite this, I was giving Emirates the benefit of the doubt and still kept flying them.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722796

The second is due to their pathetic customer service. I went to an Emirates office, only to meet a man who acted as if I was some five year old who had lost my way. The people at the office (EK NY) were demeaning, rude and inefficient. Because of them, I lost seats that I had been waiting on for months. Even this wasn't enough to make me stop forever (I went on the buy the tickets in the end)

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=762568

The third and final straw was when I tried to take advantage of their advertised "STPC" offer for long layovers. I was forced to contact several EK offices in addition to my travel agent. (EK UK, US, Canada, Pakistan and UAE) I was fed lies by some of the offices while others admitted that there is no way I'd be getting the overnight hotel without reason. I sent EK an extremely irate message which details all of my correspondence with the airline and asking for an explanation. As far as I am concerned, this is false advertising. If they advertise something, and I fit all the (lengthy) terms and conditions they offer the hotel without issue.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=765127

The third thread is what caused me to refund my travel with EK (on the new DXB-YYZ-DXB nonstop no less ) I will be switching to QR or GF (hopefully QR) and my parents to VS/BA unless EK comes back with a satisfactory response to my complaint.

Edited to Add:

I will still remain active in the forum, and remain interested in EK - it is just that I won't continue my positive advertising for them like I have been doing all these years. If they come back with a satisfactory response, I will most certainly continue flying them.

Cheers,

Last edited by sadiqhassan; Jan 17, 2008 at 8:07 am
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
I wondered myself but I thought it's not worth a PM But apparently you still want to be on the first JFK-DXB (A380)
Old Jan 17, 2008, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I wondered myself but I thought it's not worth a PM But apparently you still want to be on the first JFK-DXB (A380)
That is more to do with the A380 than EK specifically - I wanted to get on the SQ flight, but getting to SIN would have proved impossible. If I don't feel like giving them my money, I will simply redeem an FF miles ticket.

Cheers,
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:48 am

I do understand your frustrations but do you realize that this poor customer service is something almost across the board specially with US airlines. Perhaps some of the Asian airlines may do a better job. Sooner or later everyone is going to experience atleast one bad incident to remember rest of their lives. I accept every bit about EK that you mentioned but the fact is that EK will still continue a robust growth becuase of the competitive prices which is a very strong driving force for the travellers. Certainly everyone wants better service but good pricing remains as the top priority for most of the self paying passengers.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan
I won't continue my positive advertising for them like I have been doing all these years.
Finally coming to your senses ?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold, UA Silver
sadiqhassan, I feel like you should have known about their customer service. Of all people in this forum, you should know because you read so many threads about their virtually non-existent customer service and compensation. I can't count the number of times I have heard of someone contacting EK with a complaint and never hearing a peep from EK, or if they did it was a flat-out denial of any compensation that arrived months after the complaint was filed.

See my post history, and you will read that not long ago I asked the same question as you... why fly EK?
Old Jan 20, 2008, 3:42 pm

I remember when I used to EK bash you used to come to their defence.
I am pleaed that you have finally seen the light@:-).
I did not travel on one EK flight last year
I have a few "good" premium fares this year but other than that they will get no full price flights off me.
I still have not been able to use any of my 200k odd pts and they are expiring in aug 08.
they give me no explanation for not one F seat syd-dxb all year.
they tell me to buy a j fare and upgrade
when I tried they said I couldnt as it was a ticket issued by another carrier(SQ) so they would not upgrade.
Im over even EK bashing now but did want to respond to your OP.
good luck with your new carrier
why not join BMI get the 9k bonus and do a status match whilst u still have status.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Star Alliance Gold
Talking re: status match

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
why not join BMI get the 9k bonus and do a status match whilst u still have status.

Does my Skywards Gold translate to BMI Gold meaning I can then use Star Alliance lounges when I fly a Star Alliance Airline? This sounds too good to be true!

cw
Old Jan 22, 2008, 6:06 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've reduced my flying on Emirates substantially over the last 12 months or so.

The main reason... the cost. Most of my flying is for personal reasons, so the cost comes out of my own pocket.

The cheapest economy fare from MAN-DXB is now over 500UKP. I don't mind paying a premium for a direct flight, but that premium is now over 300UKP. I can pick up a flight with Etihad or Qatar for far less than the Emirates price.

You can also get some pretty good fares on Silverjet if you're prepared to fly from Luton. I've just booked a return for 820UKP. Silverjet fly from a private terminal at both LTN & DXB, so you can avoid the mess that is the main terminal at DXB. Also, you get a 30 minute check in time if you're pushed for time.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:02 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Agree....CAI-DXB-CAI prices are through the roof. I can get GF for 1/2 the price-literally. EK really do overexxagerate-its either you pay double for a frickin' medium-haul flight or you pay 1/3 of the normal for a pan-global route.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a man who acted as if I was some five year old who had lost my way. The people at the office (EK NY) were demeaning, rude and inefficient. Because of them, I lost seats that I had been waiting on for months.
IMHO its not a good argument to claim that all airlines are that bad. (those who seem to suggest EK is just average / no worse)

note to OP if they fly F >
Jet and SQ also have suites right now
QR and EY have onboard lounges
Old Jan 24, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold, Skywards Silver, Tesco Clubcard Blue
I quite agree with the op. Perhaps all this expansion and popularity is made their head swell.

I recently flew Singapore Airlines after a hiatus of 4 years - what a refreshing change!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
sadiqhassan, I feel like you should have known about their customer service. Of all people in this forum, you should know because you read so many threads about their virtually non-existent customer service and compensation. I can't count the number of times I have heard of someone contacting EK with a complaint and never hearing a peep from EK, or if they did it was a flat-out denial of any compensation that arrived months after the complaint was filed.

See my post history, and you will read that not long ago I asked the same question as you... why fly EK?
As I said in the OP, customer service is not the primary reason why I stopped flying EK. The main reason was the failure to provide STPC. I would argue that most carriers have poor customer service - EK's wasn't bad enough to make me stop flying them altogether.

Cheers,
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
It's not just EK - it's the UAE !

I just returned from a 5 day trip in Dubai. Generally when it comes to customer service when it does not warrant any (ie airline personnel), there will be none.

I was travelling with a friend on a QR ticket. She decided to return early from Dubai to Manchester. We have e-ticket in hand. We called QR a day in advance and after 20 minutes they found the fare basis and said that it was a AED 720 fee. But to come to office to pay. It was already close to 5pm so we said that we'd go to the airport to pay for it. They said fine.

We got to airport 3 hours early. Went to DNATA who is QR's and apparently everyone else's airline ticket office. No one knows what to do. They sent us (I was travelling with her but I was scheduled to leave on that day as planned anyway) to the check-in counter, the check-in counter sent me to the QR operations manager in the airport basement. There they said that the fare was 'illegal' and refused to do anything. (The ticket was issued through CRS and is a valid fare, I might add) But no one seems to be able to find out what the fare was.

Back to DNATA travel. We called the QR number. But its Friday so airline office is closed, the call gets routed to a call centre in G*d knows where where the ones answering the phone have no idea on what to do. They ask me to call the QR office in Dubai - which is CLOSED.

In the end, we just bought a new ticket one way for my friend at AED1450 plus tax comes out to AED1750. Which is AED1000 more than the original change fee. But you know what? My friend swore she'd never step foot on UAE again even though the stay at the Park Hyatt was relatively pleasant.

Is this country going to be ready for e-ticket compliant by mid 2008? Good luck cos no one knows what to do!

I feel its not just EK's customer service that needs improvement.. but just the attitude of EK and QR and generally everyone else who flies around this region. They have an attitude that seems to warrant what they do as justified, and they don't care of one person cos there are others to take care of, and will continue to use their airlines.

The hell-hole I call DBX airport will remain justifiably so even with the new Terminal 3 opens. You still have to pass from Terminal 3 to the main arrivals hall, don't you?

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Jan 26, 2008 at 1:24 am
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I just used up the last of my points on EK and will no longer be flying them (at least if I can avoid it) anymore for similar reasons as sadiqhassan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.