Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Emirates in flight bar gets NZ Minister into trouble

Old Jun 5, 2010, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

New Zealand's Trade Minister has been reprimanded for apparent "drunk and rowdy" behaviour on a flight from Dubai on April 30. One assumes this would be the Emirates A380 with the inflight bar!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10649867

Personally, I doubt very much that he would have been out of order and suspect its a politically motivated complaint...

Would be interesting if anyone here was on that flight and can shed any light on what actually happened.

I guess though thats always going to be the risk with an inflight bar. I recall the last time I flew VS UC the FA kept having to remind me and the gentleman I was drinking with in their in cabin bar to pipe down... this was presumably after we had polished off the premium vodka, and they had to serve us the cheaper Y class brand!
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I think this has really been brought into light (in particular within the NZ Media) as it is a Minister, however this sort of behavior can be quite common on flights. Also, the Wellington Koru Lounge can get a bit rowdy when the MP's come in at the ed of the business day - last week the reaction was "oh great here come the politician's"
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:55 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Lets cut them slack. After all, if you were a NZ politician, wouldn't you be drinking heavily

And no doubt, the NZ government spin doctors are working overtime after the trade ministers return flight. I'm guessing he drank the bar dry!
Old Jun 6, 2010, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by eightblack
Lets cut them slack. After all, if you were a NZ politician, wouldn't you be drinking heavily
Agreed: it would certainly drive me to drink! I am fully supportive of the Minister, even if he was hammered, which I doubt.

Its one of the nice things about New Zealands democracy that politicians are not afraid to chill out and enjoy a social drink. I imagine that whoever complained, and note it was not someone on the flight but an associate of someone on the plane, did so out of jealousy or political motivation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.