Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 20, 07, 8:57 pm   #1

Programs: EK Skywards Platinum; SPG Platinum
Hotels for cheap in DXB?

I am trying to book a hotel (4 or 5*) for next weekend, but the prices seem crazy! For people who book hotels in DXB regularly, any leads on where could I get good deals?

Thanks in advance.
torontoflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 07, 9:02 pm   #2

Programs: Aeroplan E35K, BA Silver
Prices for hotels in Dubai have skyrocketed in the past few years especially at the 4-5* level and especially between late summer and late spring. Usually Emirates gives discounts if you book hotels in conjunction with tickets

Cheers
sadiqhassan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 07, 12:22 am   #3

You can get the Sheraton Deira for 810 Dirham (incl. Tax), that's around 200 $US (not really cheap, but o.k. for Dubai at this time).
dusordua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 07, 12:41 am   #4

Programs: EK Gold
The avergae rates on Shiekh Zayed Road so far this year/month range from 650AEd ($177) for 4 star to 1450AED $(395) for 5 star-- nothing is cheap at this time of year.
yyzlhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 07, 5:29 am   #5

Programs: LH FTL, HHonors Gold
The IBIS World Trade Center on Sheikh Zayed Road is a pretty good deal. Very centrally located with a nice modern appearance. Rooms are quite small, but well appointed.

If you can pass on a 4* or 5* hotel, the IBIS will suit you.

Other than that, you will have to pay through the nose...
Shilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 07, 8:32 am   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
Prices for hotels in Dubai have skyrocketed in the past few years especially at the 4-5* level and especially between late summer and late spring. Usually Emirates gives discounts if you book hotels in conjunction with tickets

Cheers
I am buying a J / F ticket from emirates.com (ex LHR). Is booking the hotel something I could do online?
Old Jan 21, 07, 2:10 pm   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PC Plat, HH Gold, BA Brown
Quote:
Originally Posted by torontoflyer View Post
I am buying a J / F ticket from emirates.com (ex LHR). Is booking the hotel something I could do online?
It would help if we new what you're looking at paying for the air ticket, but I'd say that you really don't want to buy these elements seperately, especially if you don't need the flexibility and can stay three nights (some good inclusive tour fares kick in at this point). Have a look at www.otc-uk.co.uk. It's part of travelocity/lastminute.com and they often have some good deals.

For example, flying out from LHR on Friday afternoon In J with three nights at the Crowne Plaza and back on Monday morning comes in at £1,800, some £200 cheaper than I can find flight-only for on the same dates on the EK website.

Note that some of the IT fares exclude the limo, but that's presumably irrelevant given the cost savings here.

(Must admit, I can't understand why you're booking on the EK site either as - with most airlines - this is rarely the way to go about getting the best price...)

Last edited by Swiss Tony; Jan 21, 07 at 2:19 pm.
Swiss Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 07, 3:48 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post

(Must admit, I can't understand why you're booking on the EK site either as - with most airlines - this is rarely the way to go about getting the best price...)
I am making a stopover in DXB on my way to KIX from LHR. I also need some flexibility on my ticket.
As for booking on the EK website, the only reason is for the bonus miles for booking online. (70% in J - 150% in F).
Old Jan 22, 07, 12:18 am   #9

Programs: IC Amb PC Plat, HH Silver, JP Gold, Skywards Gold, King Club Silver
Hotel prices in Dubai are at a premium right now becos of the Dubai Shopping Festival (DSF) and probably will remain so atleast till the end of Jan. They drop dramatically during summer (past May), but of course its unbearably hot during summer. So right now every 4/5* will charge the earth and then some.

Cheers!
candadep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 07, 12:46 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by torontoflyer View Post
I am making a stopover in DXB on my way to KIX from LHR. I also need some flexibility on my ticket.
As for booking on the EK website, the only reason is for the bonus miles for booking online. (70% in J - 150% in F).
OK, thanks for that info.

The stopover prices on the EK website certainly don't look very impressive (not much below US$200 a night). You might find something that suits at www.asiatravel.com but i've just had a quick look and again there are no bargains out there...
Old Jan 22, 07, 7:10 am   #11

Programs: EK Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilla View Post
The IBIS World Trade Center on Sheikh Zayed Road is a pretty good deal. Very centrally located with a nice modern appearance. Rooms are quite small, but well appointed.

If you can pass on a 4* or 5* hotel, the IBIS will suit you.

Other than that, you will have to pay through the nose...
I was by the Ibis (world trade centre-SZR) yesterday and it is 425AED right now (according to sign outside)-- I stayed there for 6 weeks when I first moved to Dubai and it is a great hotel-

Being in the industry I feel confident with my assessment!!
yyzlhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 07, 7:48 am   #12
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzlhr View Post
I was by the Ibis (world trade centre-SZR) yesterday and it is 425AED right now (according to sign outside)-- I stayed there for 6 weeks when I first moved to Dubai and it is a great hotel-

Being in the industry I feel confident with my assessment!!
When I was looking at this stuff last night, lastminute.com had the Ibis for 50, so a bit cheaper than booking direct...
Old Jan 22, 07, 10:56 am   #13

Programs: BA Gold, BD*G, Air France Platinum
I stayed in the Hilton Jumeirah Beach in June....100 a night, but thats fair for a beach property.

It all depends what is the purpose of your trip. Personally I didnt think there was much to do other than sunbathe (considering I don't like shopping), as the centre of town is just one mass construction site. Accor hotels do indeed have some cheap properties but theyre in town. If its beach you want, I'd recommend the Hilton

Flying with Manchesters finest?
Boddingtons is offline   Reply With Quote