Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Can you upgrade a Emirates ticket bought on external travel website (aka Jetabroad)?

Can you upgrade a Emirates ticket bought on external travel website (aka Jetabroad)?

Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott

Hi Guys,

Was looking at buying a business class ticket from KUL to SIN to MEL, through Emirates website - but their timings are limited (KUL to SIN leg with Jet Asia), and I needed a later flight. I saw a option which fits my timings need through Jetabroad - however I noticed it only costs 30k points to upgrade from business to First (for the SIN - MEL leg), which I may take up.

My question is - does booking a ticket through Jetabroad still allow you to do this, or are there certain restrictions out there that will make me illegible to upgrade (or similar)? Do let me know thanks!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:32 am

You can upgrade at the airport (or on board if you have the status). You won't be able to make changes to the ticket, i.e. upgrading for cash, without going through the travel agent before you've flown the first leg (and even then, EK may direct you to them).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Qatar Silver, Emirates Skyward Silver, SPG Gold , IHG Spire Elite
From my last flight that i booked through a TA, I couldn't change anything on my Emirates account. It said "please contact your travel agent" if i wanted to change or upgrade anything.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Jet Airways JetPrivilege Platinum
Miles upgrade is possible if seats are available online.

If you're paying for the upgrade you need to contact your agent. EK will only make changes after you've flown the first segment of your trip!

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer, AA, Qantas, SPG, Marriott
So.. I wasn't sure about Jetabroad, so I ended up booking through Expedia (which had a better rate in any case - $1,600 AUD one way is pretty good from KUL, vs $3300 AUD from SIN).

The interesting thing (since I've never used Expedia for flights) is that on my credit card statement, the sale went through as Emirates Direct Sale - and Emirates doesn't seem to show it as an external ticket once you type in the PNR.

The issue is however, that no seats are available for upgrade, despite only 3 seats being full (I called to double check this). Since I don't have status anymore on Emirates, I'm guessing I won't be able to upgrade till MUCH closer to the date.

The flight is still a couple months away, so I guess I'll wait.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by jubbing
The interesting thing (since I've never used Expedia for flights) is that on my credit card statement, the sale went through as Emirates Direct Sale - and Emirates doesn't seem to show it as an external ticket once you type in the PNR.
I've noticed this on a couple of Expedia tickets recently, although if I tried to do a paid upgrade the website said no, so there must be a way for it to tell.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.