Search

Buying a Seat for a lap infant

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club, Skywards
Buying a Seat for a lap infant

Hi everyone

I'm looking to book flights from London to Dubai. My daughter turns 20months when we travel and she is already too big as a lap infant.

Has anyone or can you purchase another economy seat for her even though she is still an infant. On the Emirates website the option is at 2 years plus to buy a seat.

Thanks!
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
Hi, yes you can. you will have to call and do the booking. I have done this in the past.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No problem booking a seat for an infant as long as you are happy to pay the child fare
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

Did you guys do your whole family booking over the phone or did you purchase your seats on the website first and then change the ticket for the infant over the phone from lap to a child fare seat?

Also does the fare on the phone match the prices on their website?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: MARIOTT GOLD, QR GOLD,OW S. HH DIA, CHASE RESERVE
I did the whole family booking over the phone. I would suggest you do it this way.

Also , Emirates does not charge for seating when traveling with an infant.

I have booked numerous times times over the phone and never seen a big difference in prices, they match online pricing.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:33 am

£20 GBP (?) surcharge for phone bookings but you may get it waived as you're doing something that can't be done on-line. It never hurts to ask. I've had it waived in the past, but I've also had agents insist it can't be bypassed.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 5:07 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex
Originally Posted by avicov
Hi everyone

I'm looking to book flights from London to Dubai. My daughter turns 20months when we travel and she is already too big as a lap infant.

Has anyone or can you purchase another economy seat for her even though she is still an infant. On the Emirates website the option is at 2 years plus to buy a seat.

Thanks!
If you want to start collecting skywards miles for her, don't forget to create a skysurfer account. Since she's still under 2 yo, you may need to cheat on the birthday. It's not cross ref'd with the travel booking, so not a big deal.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll call emirates today and do the booking. Also I will look into getting some mileage for our daughter as well!

If I book a child fare for my infant I gather I can then select a kids meal even though she is under 2? I want to avoid her getting baby food jars.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: EK, AA, DL, UA, SPG, HGP, Amex

If I book a child fare for my infant I gather I can then select a kids meal even though she is under 2? I want to avoid her getting baby food jars.
Correct
Old Sep 21, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Thanks for all the tips guys. I'll call emirates today and do the booking. Also I will look into getting some mileage for our daughter as well!

No need to call , just book it online via emirates.com and just select how many adults and choose the child fare instead of infant fare. You can select the kids meal via MMB ( Manage my booking ) , plus there would be no booking fee as you're not calling EK ! Also take a look at BA.com ( British Airways ) for fares to DXB as they have a worldwide sale on right now

Photo shows how to do it for 2 adults and 1 child, however i call to EK might be needed if you want to select seating free of charge ( especially bulkhead) depending on what fare you chose. However you will get bulkhead at check in as a matter of priority as you are travelling with a "infant " ...
Attached Images  
Old Sep 21, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flame3601
No need to call , just book it online via emirates.com and just select how many adults and choose the child fare instead of infant fare. You can select the kids meal via MMB ( Manage my booking ) , plus there would be no booking fee as you're not calling EK ! Also take a look at BA.com ( British Airways ) for fares to DXB as they have a worldwide sale on right now

Photo shows how to do it for 2 adults and 1 child, however i call to EK might be needed if you want to select seating free of charge ( especially bulkhead) depending on what fare you chose. However you will get bulkhead at check in as a matter of priority as you are travelling with a "infant " ...
great thanks. So I called emirates and they told me to book the my daughters ticket by selecting child on the website, adding one year to her birth date to make her over 2 years old and then to change her date back to the correct date of under 2 in MMB.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:02 pm

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
I am traveling on EK with an infant in Business class, this is a Partner reward, what are the charges to add a lap infant to the booking?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by navatwal
I am traveling on EK with an infant in Business class, this is a Partner reward, what are the charges to add a lap infant to the booking?
10% of the miles I think
Old Jan 10, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: UA1k, Oneworld Sapphire, Hyatt Globalist, IHG DiamondAmb, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LTP,
This is an AS reward, would this still use AS infant rules or EK infant rules?
Old Jan 10, 2018, 3:03 pm
Lux

Originally Posted by m3red

10% of the miles I think
From memory it's 10% of the cash fare including taxes and fees, which makes it an unappealing prospect on e.g. a one way business class miles booking.

Actually my memory is wrong, yours is right, but you can only book an infant on miles in economy class. Which, to me, rather defeats the point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.