Emirates Tier Calculation

Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:33 am
hay
Original Poster

Emirates Tier Calculation

I have been a Skywards member since 2005 (have flown with Emirates earlier than that), but was almost always a Silver member until 2015. In October 2015, I got my Gold tier status, Unfortunately, I didn't qualify for Gold again in October 2016 as I only managed to collect about 45,000 miles at that point. From that point and up to August this year, I collected about 35,000. I didn't check the tier mile status until this month and realized it said I qualify for Silver in August. I assumed I had qualified for the Silver again a few months back. In short I qualify for the Silver with about 80,000 miles for only two years.

I wrote to the Emirates and here is their reply:

Tier Miles are valid for up to 13 months from flight completion date if credited to your account.

We are in the month of September, so your Tier balance is based on flights flown from September 2016 to September 2017. When we move to October, the September 2016 flights will no longer be counted.

Tier Miles earned from previous cycle won’t be carried over to your next review cycle.

You may log onto www.emirates.com for details on our programme.

Regards,

So what they are saying is it doesn't matter how many 'extra' miles you fly, once the miles you require for tier status is achieved, the rest won't be counted. As they said the miles aren't carried to the next cycle.

I am a bit perplexed and disappointed since I will get around 10,000 - 12,000 more the next few months making it not enough for Gold but 'too much' for the Silver status.

I don't fly much, but when I do I fly only with the full flex fare since I always need to change my return flight depending on the trip so full flex fare makes more sense for me.

I am just curious about your thoughts.

Thank you.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Tier Status is based on a rolling 13-month period, as mentioned, with 12 months to renew thereafter, and status valid for 14 months. It can be a little confusing.

In October 2017 all tier miles earned from October 2016 onwards will be counted, your miles earned in September 2016 and before "fall off" the edge of the rolling window.

You can earn 45,000 miles in 13 months, way too much for Silver, but you still won't get Gold.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: EK plat, ex-FB gold, Accor plat
It's the same rationale for all airlines. They are pushing you to spend more to aim the upper status.

You are complaining for not achieving Gold.
Imagine all those who don't reach Platinum (150K), short of 10K or 20K ...
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by ioto1902
It's the same rationale for all airlines. They are pushing you to spend more to aim the upper status.

I think that's a sensitive topic for m3red
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:12 pm
hay
Original Poster

Thank you.

I was mistaken in thinking the 'extra leftover tier miles' are carried over to the next period.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 12:18 pm
hay
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ioto1902

I wasn't complaining about not achieving Gold. I am more disappointed about my miles not being carried over to the next cycle. In one cycle, I would have about 45,000 miles and then the next cycle, say I get only about 10,000 - then I won't qualify for Silver again the next year.... As for reaching Gold, I mentioned I don't fly much so I am not aiming for being a Gold. I happened to fly a bit more that year and achieved Gold.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I think that's a sensitive topic for m3red
Doesn't matter when you are in F anyway....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.