Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Emirates | Skywards
Reload this Page >

Gluten fee upgrades + A380 upper deck Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Two questions for you good folks.

I'm going to be flying a lot more on Emirates instead of BA as I now live in Asia and find economy on Emirates with a stop over in Dubai preferable to the extra cost of a Club World seat on BA.

To my questions though - I normally choose a gluten free meal. Does this make it far less likely I'll get an OpUp to business? I've flown quite a few times now and never been upgraded.

Also I wanted to say just how fab the upper deck economy seats are on the A380 - really great for a couple and amazing IFE. Good job Emirates!

I'm also pleased to see the days of my yellow call light being ignored for hours while the CC chat are now over too.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: EK,BA,QR
Hi, I would say that it would impact negatively on an upgrade chance, so best just choosing a standard meal - there are usually GF meals on it.

I always take standard meals no matter what class I'm in as I find the GF meals not that great. Special meals are generally a no no for upgrades.
Good luck!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Accepted wisdom is that special meals kill any chance of an upgrade.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:40 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Also, it's unlikely that you'd get an op-up anyway unless you go for the more expensive Y seats. Op-ups are not done by status these days, but by the ticket type Saver/Flex/Flex Plus etc.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. I wont be too sad to forego my chicken breast and fruit salad
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:52 am
Lux

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Accepted wisdom is that special meals kill any chance of an upgrade.
I was under the impression that wasn't the case on EK? I don't have personal experience but have read that on here.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Lux
I was under the impression that wasn't the case on EK? I don't have personal experience but have read that on here.
​​​​​​
hard to tell as overall op-up policy changes but I went from 50% op-ups to 0% after the policy change which also coincided with me trying out a ton of special meals earlier this year. Hard to tell if policy or special meals were the culprit
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:47 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by dingobingo
Two questions for you good folks.

I'm going to be flying a lot more on Emirates instead of BA as I now live in Asia and find economy on Emirates with a stop over in Dubai preferable to the extra cost of a Club World seat on BA.

To my questions though - I normally choose a gluten free meal. Does this make it far less likely I'll get an OpUp to business? I've flown quite a few times now and never been upgraded.

Also I wanted to say just how fab the upper deck economy seats are on the A380 - really great for a couple and amazing IFE. Good job Emirates!

I'm also pleased to see the days of my yellow call light being ignored for hours while the CC chat are now over too.
As a Gluten Intolerant (not full blown Coeliac) I now avoid Gluten free meals on planes. Even on EK they are not great.

S
Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Sigh , don't we miss the days of knowing if you are Plat/Gold you could stand a good chance of a op-up regardless of what fare we had purchased. Might be trying out ET in September , some nice fares in J to London.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: EK Skywards silver Miles and Smiles Hilton Honours Hyatt Priority Club Kestrel A
Back in the not so distant past when EK were much freer with the op ups I was always lucky and got op upped to J on 50% of my Y flights.
And I always ordered lacto-ovo veggie meals. So I would say it makes no difference to your chances.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:22 pm

Computer does not care about SPML - the manifest will say "SPML loaded in YCL/JCL".

Computer cares only about $$$$$

If ground staff need to override computer for whatever reason (emergency last minute moves for instance), that is when SPML might be taken into account.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Sigh , don't we miss the days of knowing if you are Plat/Gold you could stand a good chance of a op-up regardless of what fare we had purchased. Might be trying out ET in September , some nice fares in J to London.
Ex CPT? Ouch, good luck. ADD is a dump from what I hear
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:41 am

Programs: EK Gold, TK Elite, Marriott Rewards, Global Entry, MileagePlus
ADD is nothing special but it is functional. Just avoid the very short layovers that ET tends to schedule liberally.

The real consideration is product and service. Cloud9 (the name of their J product IIRC) I don't think comes close to comparing to J on most other major airlines. It might be closer to E+ or domestic first from what I've read. Full disclosure though, I've never flown ET J so this is not personal experience. But I did consider purchasing the fare and did some googling a year ago.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by skywardhunter
Yeah Ex CPT ! R25 000 rand return to LHR. ADD is truly a dump , plus got to be quite careful on aircraft swaps with ET as you could be on a 787 then 2 days out on a 737 for a 8hr flight !

Originally Posted by vytas315
ADD is nothing special but it is functional. Just avoid the very short layovers that ET tends to schedule liberally.

The real consideration is product and service. Cloud9 (the name of their J product IIRC) I don't think comes close to comparing to J on most other major airlines. It might be closer to E+ or domestic first from what I've read. Full disclosure though, I've never flown ET J so this is not personal experience. But I did consider purchasing the fare and did some googling a year ago.
Well seeing how bad ADD is , i would want the shortest layover possible. I have been monitoring ET'S cloud 9 for some time and they have really improved in certain departments, nothing like EK thou - more a BA CW type product. However on the CPT-ADD-LHR segment you will either have a really tight turnaround at ADD or a really long layover ( a bit like QR) and I'm not flying 8hrs from ADD-CPT(viaJNB) on a 737.

Lets face it i will be going via DXB in September , i am a EK fanboy after all !:-:
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: EK platinum, ET, SAS
ADD is no dump

Originally Posted by skywardhunter
I fly to Ethiopia at least 3 times a year from Melbourne, and I can assure you that ADD is no dump! It's quite a modern airport and not unattractive at all. The only minus is the "visa on arrival" procedure, which is slow and confusing. Ethiopia in general has been experiencing double digit growth for more than a decade. Yes it's an African city with the usual problems, but the people and culture are wonderful and uniquely different to the rest of Africa. Well accepted as the safest country in Africa! Give it a try!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.